U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-06-2007, 10:44 AM

83 posts, read 277,817 times
Default Anybody have an opinion on North Florida?

HI I was looking into northern Florida for a possible move. Does anybody know anything about the area? Schools are my main focus. We like having a town center, not the urban sprawl we have here in Orlando. We would like a little land 1/2 + acre. Our price range is $300. Again I am looking for a good school system. We don't like houses right on top of each other but we like neighbors for our kids to play with and such. I have been tubing down and swimming in the springs up there and went to school in Gainesville. I visited Tallahasse back in my college days but don't remember alot. LOL Some of the cities I noticed online are Alchua, Chiefland,High springs. We do like restaurants and shopping. So within 30mins? My husband is very flexible since his territory includes Texas- South Carolina. Maybe a good airport within 45min? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM

387 posts, read 1,012,678 times
The actual city of Alachua is quaint. It's fun to visit and they have some surprisingly good restaurants in their little "downtown", Conestoga's being one of them. The school system is another issue. Though, I'd seriously look into the private schools in Gainesville... I don't know where in O'Town you're from... but if it's anywhere outside of the decent schools in Seminole County, then don't worry. They can't be any worse in North-Central Florida.

Chiefland is West of all that... and it's not a very good place. It's not in Alachua County, but in Levy County. Very small and run downish from what I've seen. Large portion of the population living in poverty. Farther out of the shopping and restaurants in Gainesville... it's also farther from the Jacksonville International Airport (which would be my airport of choice if I still lived around Gainesville, Alachua, etc).

Maybe look into the city of Newberry as well, or anything small in the Northwest quadrant of Gainesville.

Unread 09-06-2007, 12:44 PM

387 posts, read 1,012,678 times
Keep in mind there's tons of things for kids to do as well. There are attractions in Gainesville, like the museum, butterfly garden, SFCC zoo... there's always things going on at the Phillips Center and at the Harn.

As you mentioned, there's also so many springs and parks to visit... and it's so cheap. You could go to a different one nearly every weekend, and this is all within 45 min drive.

Unread 09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
bfa

80 posts, read 314,489 times
I live in Tampa, but was raised in South Georgia, N Florida. Gainesville is pretty nice, I wouldn't live in the city, but maybe in the suburbs...Stayed with friends years ago in High Springs, hated it...just my opinion on that one.

Unread 09-07-2007, 03:21 AM

13,271 posts, read 27,549,083 times
Do a search (middle-top of your screen.)
There has been discussion of north Florida.
I used to live on the northwest side, and if you like restaurants and shopping you probably do not want to live where I was (Port St Joe.)
Now I am on the northeast, and I am very happy here.
One of our moderators, Sunrico, lives in Navarre (northwest, but a more populated area) and can give you a lot of information about that town.

Unread 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,164,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
HI I was looking into northern Florida for a possible move. Does anybody know anything about the area? Schools are my main focus. We like having a town center, not the urban sprawl we have here in Orlando. We would like a little land 1/2 + acre. Our price range is $300. Again I am looking for a good school system. We don't like houses right on top of each other but we like neighbors for our kids to play with and such. I have been tubing down and swimming in the springs up there and went to school in Gainesville. I visited Tallahasse back in my college days but don't remember alot. LOL Some of the cities I noticed online are Alchua, Chiefland,High springs. We do like restaurants and shopping. So within 30mins? My husband is very flexible since his territory includes Texas- South Carolina. Maybe a good airport within 45min? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
The Navarre area is a great location, still affordable and low crime. Our schools are rated A+, but the HS has a B, 26 elementary, middle schools and HS in the county received A rating.

The job market is supported by the aerospace industry and large military community. Individuals in the aerospace industry are making in the $55K as a starting salary for well trained individuals. Due to the large number of military retirees you find most making in the $75K+.

Many families are relocating due to the lower cost. Is not a perfect place, but for the last 10 years is our paradise. Due a search for Navarre, Fort Walton beach, Destin, Gulf Breeze, Pcola, Milton, Pace, Crestview, Jay, Bonifay, or Panama City. We have discussed the town very extensively and many post has links to important web site in the communities.

Traffic is very heavy in HWY 98 (only HWY east to west and south of I10), but that will be my negative point...

This is my view of the area, my experiences in the area are memorable so I can't complain. But do your research and visit and see if this area fits your needs. You will be the only one that can really decide. Best of luck...

Unread 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM

14,265 posts, read 14,311,378 times
Tallahassee is probably too far away from a "good airport" for you. I would look towards the towns outside of Jacksonville and Pensacola.

Unread 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,164,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Tallahassee is probably too far away from a "good airport" for you. I would look towards the towns outside of Jacksonville and Pensacola.

Between Pcola, Fort Walton Beach and Mobile you have access to all main hubs in the east coast.

Unread 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM

8,204 posts, read 21,902,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
We do have parts of Jax where you can have a good sized lot and a house for $300k.

I'd suggest:

Fort Caroline area (zip 32225): 20 minutes or less to JIA, 15 minutes to the beach, tons of shopping, restaurants, etc. very close by but not so much near the neighborhoods themselves. Lots of housing built in the 60's, 70's 80's with good-sized lots.......a nice, quiet, convenient leafy area.

Northside of Jacksonville: I don't have a zip because I don't know it well enough to recommend a particular zip (I'd be afraid to give you the wrong one). The Northside is not an area I normally recommend, but it is still quite rural and it's not terribly inconvenient. Lots of new housing developments going in and some are on bigger lots than you usually find elsewhere. New housing can be found for under $300k (and that's getting harder to do in other parts of Jax and St. Augustine area).

Beyond that, outside of Jax, there's not much I'd recommend - the true rural areas here are not so nice at all. There's Yulee, which might be okay, but I'd forget about everything rural west of Jax, I would not recommend it to anyone. St. John's county's formerly rural areas are all being built into homogeneous master-planned communities and the prices are high.

Unread 09-08-2007, 04:02 AM

13,271 posts, read 27,549,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Between Pcola, Fort Walton Beach and Mobile you have access to all main hubs in the east coast.
At a cost.
I couldn't believe how expensive it was for me to fly out of that area, no matter how much I finagled around with air travel websites.
Of course now they are building the new airport in Panama City, but that will take years.
In terms of connections, Ft Walton airport is a *bit* better, the Tally airport is better, Jax airport is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida