U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM

6,519 posts, read 3,647,269 times
Default Non-native Anacondas and Pythons; A Problem?

I was reading about the anaconda and python problem in Florida; pythons and anacondas wreaking havoc on the natural ecosystem. I thought I would go to the people who live there, you guys, to get first-hand opinion on this problem? Is it a problem at all? Is this something to let nature balance out or is it something beyond that?

Do you feel unsafe because of this? Should sales of exotic pets be banned or curbed quite a bit? Should large snakes be euthanized even if it may be considered an inhumane way to deal with this problem?

I personally don't think exotic pets should be banned but I do think they should be seriously controlled given the tendency for a lot of people to get pets (snakes, cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.) they don't intend to keep.

It's a little crazy to me that anybody thinks they can control an 8-foot, 10-foot, 20-foot snake, I don't know, maybe I'm off my hinges here. I do think snakes have educational value. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 PM

2,229 posts, read 2,335,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I was reading about the anaconda and python problem in Florida; pythons and anacondas wreaking havoc on the natural ecosystem. I thought I would go to the people who live there, you guys, to get first-hand opinion on this problem? Is it a problem at all? Is this something to let nature balance out or is it something beyond that?

Do you feel unsafe because of this? Should sales of exotic pets be banned or curbed quite a bit? Should large snakes be euthanized even if it may be considered an inhumane way to deal with this problem?

I personally don't think exotic pets should be banned but I do think they should be seriously controlled given the tendency for a lot of people to get pets (snakes, cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.) they don't intend to keep.

It's a little crazy to me that anybody thinks they can control an 8-foot, 10-foot, 20-foot snake, I don't know, maybe I'm off my hinges here. I do think snakes have educational value. Thoughts?
Sure its a problem it seems but I can't say I feel unsafe (I'm one exit from the Everglades) I've never seen once personally and quite frankly we deal with a lot of dangerous animals daily in the state. We have a lot of natural predators here including issues with panthers eating fido and gators snatching up fluffy so the pythons just add to the mix IMO. I even watched a a hawk pick up a chiuaua years ago. My husband worked with a lady who had a panther for a pet (she was licensed.)

This is nothing new they've found alligators in bathtubs in NYC and full size tigers too so really no matter where you go or live people are gonna keep these kinds of pets. We are just getting a lot of coverage because they're eatin off the larger game like alligators and deer

Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 5,087,716 times
It's a big problem for the mammals in the Everglades which can pose a big problem for the ecosystem. For people to feel unsafe, no. There are more dangerous snakes in our backyards like the Coral Snake.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,197,469 times
Exclamation The Hell With Snakes!!!

Watch for the wild hogs......that are taking almost every state in the union over......just google it and find out where they are in Florida...they can grow to more than 400 pounds and have no fear of other animals...including the ones that walk on two feet......they are not effected by the heat...and the cold does not effect them like the snakes...and like the snakes they just keep multiplying...once in your area...they destroy your lawn...your garden...your pets...and about the only good part...is they love snake meat...so...watch for the hogs!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 AM

4,535 posts, read 8,261,674 times
My old employer back up to Eglin Reservation (280K acres of open conservation land) and there were occasions where they'd have to pay someone to come trap wild hogs that were tearing up landscaping.

They also had to spend a fair amount of money on dumpsters and outdoor trash cans that were more bear-proof after they had some black bear issues in that regard.

Over the past 10-12 years, the black bear population in the state has tripled.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM

3,651 posts, read 2,780,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My old employer back up to Eglin Reservation (280K acres of open conservation land) and there were occasions where they'd have to pay someone to come trap wild hogs that were tearing up landscaping.

They also had to spend a fair amount of money on dumpsters and outdoor trash cans that were more bear-proof after they had some black bear issues in that regard.

Over the past 10-12 years, the black bear population in the state has tripled.
1500 bears doesn't seem like a lot...

Florida Black Bear

Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,832,349 times
Maybe they can round up all the pitbulls and sick them on the snakes, winner take all.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,927 times
I think it's an issue which though important WON'T be dealt with. It's unfortunate but the right wing nature of Florida's politics means the authorities won't pay for people to go hunt these snakes. While they waste time trying to find a cheap solution the snakes continue breeding AND moving north. I thought at first; GREAT BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY.... these snakes can be caught by independent contractors on a bounty system but after further research I saw several documentaries where willing private citizens were banned from assisting the Everglades Park in finding and disposing of these snakes. This means that the Anacondas, Retics and other large non native snakes get to continue spreading and breeding because the threat isn't being taken seriously. Floridians are tough but this issue needs action right now. I'm seeing figures like 90% of Foxes, Raccoons, Possums and other small mammal populations; wiped out. These snakes will eat anything.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,197,469 times
Every couple of weeks there is one special or another about the Boa problem in Florida...they now have the Rock Boa that is much more aggressive than the normal Boa...and the fear is that the two will meet and breed resulting in a more aggressive...much larger Snake...right now the Rock Boa has only been scene in the Miami area...but since the show was filmed more than a year ago....who knows for sure where they are...and unlike the hogs...the snakes can drop from the trees to capture it's meal...just imagine a 200 pounder dropping on one of your kids...

About the only natural predator of a large snake is cold weather...so lets hope for snow in the Everglades and perhaps everywhere south of Georgia.....

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,475,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It's a big problem for the mammals in the Everglades which can pose a big problem for the ecosystem. For people to feel unsafe, no. There are more dangerous snakes in our backyards like the Coral Snake.
Let's see... 12 people have been killed by "pet" pythons in the US since 1980. Coral snake deaths since 1967... when they released an anti-venom ...0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida