U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 31,986 times

Advertisements

How do you find parking at the Florida beaches? Sometimes it looks like there are absolutely no alternatives. In some beach towns you cannot park close to a beach even if you’re willing to pay a lot of money.

Which Gulf beaches are better than others? Local residents' input is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM

662 posts, read 937,637 times
Stay away from Clearwater. Trying to find parking sucks.
You shouldn't have any problem with parking on any of the Pinellas beaches south of Clearwater. I live in treasure island and the only time the parking lots are full is on the weekend. St Pete beach usually has pretty good parking too.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 AM

499 posts, read 1,595,032 times
Cool Who's Beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimanet View Post
How do you find parking at the Florida beaches? Sometimes it looks like there are absolutely no alternatives. In some beach towns you cannot park close to a beach even if you’re willing to pay a lot of money.

Which Gulf beaches are better than others? Local residents' input is welcome.
Back in the 1980's(?), the State of Florida gave all responsibility to County governments for both maintaining and protecting the beaches in their communities that includes ALL ACCESS to the Beach, parking and services. The means County government has complete control over most parking at the beach scenarios (and Vendors).

Because of the County jurisdiction, most counties in Florida offer annual passes to acess their Beaches, or parking lots/spaces near them (mosltly based on your residency length of time in FL OR Taxpayer status).

There are only a FEW beaches in Florida that allow you to drive on them anymore. Thankfully, Daytona Beach is one of them!

It's only going to become worse as cities/governments seek to maintaining their funding for cuts from either the present economy or killed funding sources from real estate investment that would have helped.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,174,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Back in the 1980's(?), the State of Florida gave all responsibility to County governments for both maintaining and protecting the beaches in their communities that includes ALL ACCESS to the Beach, parking and services. The means County government has complete control over most parking at the beach scenarios (and Vendors).

Because of the County jurisdiction, most counties in Florida offer annual passes to acess their Beaches, or parking lots/spaces near them (mosltly based on your residency length of time in FL OR Taxpayer status).

There are only a FEW beaches in Florida that allow you to drive on them anymore. Thankfully, Daytona Beach is one of them!

It's only going to become worse as cities/governments seek to maintaining their funding for cuts from either the present economy or killed funding sources from real estate investment that would have helped.
People having to pay for parking or having to hunt for places to park to go to a beach should head to the East Coast. We have a lot of county or city owned parks located on the beach that allow free parking with bathrooms, out door showers, pavilions and some have restaurants or snack trailers, Only time you might have trouble finding a spot to park is on summer weekends or holidays , but usually you can just go a couple blocks . there are a few areas where there are parking meters but never go to them because of the hastle.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM

7,647 posts, read 16,027,047 times
Plenty of beach parks with no admission or parking fees in the Panhandle. The only time we'll pay to go to a beach is when we want to visit one of the state parks with good nature trails.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
There are no entrance or parking fees to Sarasota or Manatee County beaches and they are some of the best in the state if not the country (Siesta rated #1). Siesta Beach does not have enough parking, but it's relatively easy to park at any of the other beaches in this region.

I think all the Pinellas beaches have parking meters, and not sure how crowded they get (except for Clearwater, which is a madhouse!)

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM

25 posts, read 31,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are no entrance or parking fees to Sarasota or Manatee County beaches and they are some of the best in the state if not the country (Siesta rated #1). Siesta Beach does not have enough parking, but it's relatively easy to park at any of the other beaches in this region.

I think all the Pinellas beaches have parking meters, and not sure how crowded they get (except for Clearwater, which is a madhouse!)
"does not have enough parking" was my primary question and concern about the area.
How much do you pay at those other Pinellas beach parking meters?
I remember an idiotic system on Marco Island, where you have only one option - pay for the whole day.
You have to shell out eight dollars (January 2010) even though you wanted to spend an hour on the beach.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimanet View Post
"does not have enough parking" was my primary question and concern about the area.
How much do you pay at those other Pinellas beach parking meters?
I remember an idiotic system on Marco Island, where you have only one option - pay for the whole day.
You have to shell out eight dollars (January 2010) even though you wanted to spend an hour on the beach.
Don't know what they charge in Pinellas, I am in Sarasota/Bradenton. As I said there are NO charges for any of our beaches, and they all have enough parking except for Siesta. I never go there for that reason. In Sarasota I prefer Lido Beach, and also love all the Bradenton beaches - B'ton beaches are much more laid-back and "old Florida than Siesta.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
In Pinellas County check out Indian Rocks Beach which has a few hundred parking spots scattered between it's beach accesses. I always find it not overrun and lacking in the agitation one finds going in/out of other areas along the Gulf in Pinellas. It's $5 a day to park with the more modern paystations versus traditional meters. Another plus is that once you're parked you don't have to lose your space to go in search of someplace to eat/drink. Indian Rocks Beach is very walkable with lots of places to check out.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM

15,302 posts, read 17,497,747 times
Go as early in the AM as you can. Go on weekdays if you can. Snowbird season can double the population in some areas of the state- with more people going to the beach as well. In those areas, off season has better parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or