U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
republican logic at work...
If you go with a higher sales tax for everything except the basic necessities like milk, bread, meat, vegs, etc. and eliminate property tax, then you have a fair system where everyone is paying for all the services like road improvements, schools, fire, police.
As the system is those that choose to own a home are sometimes paying an extra $1000-$10000 and more a year for the same services and uses as those that do not own a home.
Eliminating the property tax would also bring a new influx of people to the state to fill the currently empty short sale and pre-foreclosure homes that are not having property tax paid on them anyway.

Also, 2 similar bills were introduced before this one. The first by a Democrat and the second jointly by a Dem. and a Rep.
If you stop looking at things with blinders on because of what party introduced something you might see clearer.

Last edited by Mike1306; 02-20-2012 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,107,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
If you go with a higher sales tax for everything except the basic necessities like milk, bread, meat, vegs, etc. and eliminate property tax, then you have a fair system where everyone is paying for all the services like road improvements, schools, fire, police.
As the system is those that choose to own a home are sometimes paying an extra $1000-$10000 and more a year for the same services and uses as those that do not own a home.
Eliminating the property tax would also bring a new influx of people to the state to fill the currently empty short sale and pre-foreclosure homes that are not having property tax paid on them anyway.
That's flawed logic in our state because we have so many temporary residents (snowbirds) that only pay their share a percentage of the year. Just because a home is not occupied year round does not mean it does not consume services (police, fire, solid waste, etc) that taxes pay for, including schools.

Furthermore, you included "except necessities like bread, milk, etc", what exactly are the snowbirds going to be contributing? Florida does not exist solely as a retirement haven for cheap people from New York. Please keep yourself and your flawed logic "up nawth"...

Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandra1981 View Post
Just to clarify, the proposal to eliminate property taxes would not be related to a state income tax...the current sales tax would be increased a couple of percentage points instead (and to a level still less than LI's sales tax). Is anyone familiar with the current status of this bill?
Just to clarify, Florida has no state or city income tax, that is why property taxes are higher than surrounding states but not outrageous like LI. On LI you pay for high teacher and PD salaries using your property taxes. Teachers and PD don't make 100K or more a year like on LI. Salaries are lower so if you make 100K in NY and pay state/city tax, you will be doing good to find a job making 50K with no state/city tax and lower property tax.

The one thing they have raised is the cost of your first car tag. It can be 200 and up for your first tag

Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,938,779 times
Quote:

Also, 2 similar bills were introduced before this one. The first by a Democrat and the second jointly by a Dem. and a Rep.
If you stop looking at things with blinders on because of what party introduced something you might see clearer.
you're right. party doesn't matter. what matters is some wealthy cronie's snowbird constituents don't want to pay their astronomical tax bills on their personal and/or business properties in the state, so he introduces a bill that would lighten their load and throw the majority of it on the shoulders of the full-time resident working class. yyyyyyeah no.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,792,849 times
Quote:

The sales tax would have to go to something pretty darn high. If you consider the fairtax system, I'm guessing it would be close to 20%+ to fill the loss in revenue from property taxes, one of the main sources of tax revenue along with corporate taxes.

I think it would be fair, so long as necessities and food are not taxed. Rich people who want buy their 2nd or 3rd lambo, or million $ yacht, will pay more into the system than someone just going to the grocery store for basics.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,886,602 times
Where you are at is probably pretty brutal. However, with FL don't be mislead by hidden gotchas. You will likely pay significantly more for Insurance, especially HO, than most states.

You will likely pay a min of 4-650 for your car related fees.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,792,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You will likely pay a min of 4-650 for your car related fees.
Which isn't bad considering many states apparently charge property tax on your car every year. Craziness

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,938,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Which isn't bad considering many states apparently charge property tax on your car every year. Craziness
+1. the initial "buy in" registration fee in florida is a walk in the park compared to paying a yearly tax assessment on your vehicle.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,817,906 times
Before you jump to Florida you should check around - There are lots of states that have reasonable property taxes and some that have none - I know how you feel as I was originally from Connecticut which isnt as bad as New York but isnt far behind either - I had thoughts of moving to Florida myself but after spending 2 months down there I changed my mind - It took me 1 year to do the research and traveling to areas before I found where I wanted to move to - I suggest you do the same, moving is so expensive you dont want to do it twice - My parents moved to Florida about 12 years ago - They rented an apartment until their home was ready - Between the actual move and the storage it cost them 10,000. - I moved from Connecticut to Delaware and it was 3,000. (no storage) this past November - My best advice is to take the time and do your research moving is a very expensive proposition -

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM

405 posts, read 470,739 times
The bill proposes a 3% increase in sales tax, which in Marion County would make it 9%. Tennessee has no income tax, but sales tax is close to 10% and still has property tax, though at a much lower rate than Florida. We had a house on 50 acres valued at about the same as our home here and taxes were $600 a year on it.

I just wrote a check for a little over $2700 for the same type property here in Marion County, over half of which was school tax. BTW, 25% of the residents of Marion County are over 65, yet we don't get that extra $25,000 senior discount other counties have, I assume so the schools can waste more money.

Our total income is around $25,000, so a 10% sales tax rate, assuming I blew it all at Walmart, would be $2500, saving about $200.

And before anybody jumps on me, I'm a Florida native that moved back home!

Last edited by FloridaHappy; 02-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Can't do math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or