U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,496,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
About 70% or more of the housing units in Florida are owner occupied so a vast majority of the population would see a benefit, besides the fact that when taxes have to be paid on rental units the cost is passed on to the renter, a decrease or elimination of property taxes would benefit more than just homeowners.
Those that would call it entitlements for the rich would be way off unless they think 70% of Florida is rich. There are also many that could afford a house, earn more than many others and choose to rent but still have full use of all the county, city, state, etc. roads, schools and more. Where is the equality there?
Alright Mike, you have a valid point, it's not exactly fair that homeowners have to burden the cost of roads, schools, police, ect, ect..

The state already has a sales tax of 6% (I believe it goes up to 7.5% in some counties, I know Hillsborough has 7.5%) if you get rid of the property taxes, how much will you have to raise the sales tax ?

If you raise the sales tax to a crazy number, how will that affect tourism ? It would cause prepared food, restaurants, theme parks, hotels, rental cars, ect, ect, to be more expensive, which could cause people to find other places to vacation, that would start to impact the states budget.

What about the million plus people in the metro Jacksonville area and the populations in the panhandle that, when looking to make a large purchase, decide to drive to Georgia or Alabama to buy what they need ? I know some people that live in the Tampa Bay area that often drive to Georgia to play Powerball, It reasons to believe that if they needed or wanted to buy a large ticket item or spend a lot of money, that it may be worth the 4 hour drive from Tampa or the 3 1/2 hour drive from Orlando to Valdosta just to save a buck..

Is it worth it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,903,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Alright Mike, you have a valid point, it's not exactly fair that homeowners have to burden the cost of roads, schools, police, ect, ect..

The state already has a sales tax of 6% (I believe it goes up to 7.5% in some counties, I know Hillsborough has 7.5%) if you get rid of the property taxes, how much will you have to raise the sales tax ?

If you raise the sales tax to a crazy number, how will that affect tourism ? It would cause prepared food, restaurants, theme parks, hotels, rental cars, ect, ect, to be more expensive, which could cause people to find other places to vacation, that would start to impact the states budget.

What about the million plus people in the metro Jacksonville area and the populations in the panhandle that, when looking to make a large purchase, decide to drive to Georgia or Alabama to buy what they need ? I know some people that live in the Tampa Bay area that often drive to Georgia to play Powerball, It reasons to believe that if they needed or wanted to buy a large ticket item or spend a lot of money, that it may be worth the 4 hour drive from Tampa or the 3 1/2 hour drive from Orlando to Valdosta just to save a buck..

Is it worth it ?
Just about every Georgia county is at 7%,Atlanta is higher, the 3% increase (what the bill calls for) would put Florida at 9%-10%. That would be $20-$30 saved on $1000 spent and going over the border to get to shopping in most areas would run a bit more than that in gas. Someone just going clothes shopping or the like may go spend $200-$300, $300 at 3% extra is $9 and hardly worth putting the miles on the vehicle and would cover less than 3 gallons of gas.
Alabama is 8-12% dependent upon where in the state.

A purchase such as a car you are going to get hit from what ever state you register in so unless those people also get a residence in the other state then they are going to pay Florida tax rates. The extra 3% on a $30,000 car would run $900 but this is something on average people do every 4-5 years not every year.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,874,695 times
Like anyone else... I don't care for taxes. But seriously, the sales tax in this state is too low. Hillsborough is 7% Pinellas is also 7%.

Seattle (King County) 9.5%
Austin (Travis County) 8.5%

I tried searching other towns... but man.... that's a real pain. Anywho... both of these cities are in states that do not have an income tax. I thing we should be somewhere in the 8.5% - 9% tax rate.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM

15,459 posts, read 13,448,264 times
It would help in the argument to raise taxes if the government spent the money wisely.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Like anyone else... I don't care for taxes. But seriously, the sales tax in this state is too low. Hillsborough is 7% Pinellas is also 7%.

Seattle (King County) 9.5%
Austin (Travis County) 8.5%

I tried searching other towns... but man.... that's a real pain. Anywho... both of these cities are in states that do not have an income tax. I thing we should be somewhere in the 8.5% - 9% tax rate.
Raising the sales tax 2-3 cents per dollar isn't going to be close to enough to get rid of the property tax.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,903,835 times
Quote:
Raising the sales tax 2-3 cents per dollar isn't going to be close to enough to get rid of the property tax.
The thread went off course, I added to it. The bill originally mentioned by the OP would not totally eliminate property taxes just the school portion of them. The 3% increase in sales tax would be pretty much equal to the portion of property tax that goes towards schools.

Quote:
It does not eliminate property tax, it eliminates the portion of the school property tax and any non-voted property tax. It would be replaced with a 3% increase in sales tax to start with and would be rolled back as the school funding is satisfied over the years until it got to a balance point.
There would also be a tax on bottled water which is sorely needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The sales tax would have to go to something pretty darn high. If you consider the fairtax system, I'm guessing it would be close to 20%+ to fill the loss in revenue from property taxes, one of the main sources of tax revenue along with corporate taxes.

I think it would be fair, so long as necessities and food are not taxed. Rich people who want buy their 2nd or 3rd lambo, or million $ yacht, will pay more into the system than someone just going to the grocery store for basics.
Quote:
9-10% dependent upon the county and would then lower in 1/4% increments every few years until they found the balance that was needed to meet the school budget.

I know on my tax bill, school taxes are approximately 45% of the total bill so if you figure somewhere about 50% of homeowners current property tax would need to be made up. They will also have an additional tax on bottled water, which I think is needed, to help make up the tax revenue.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The thread went off course, I added to it. The bill originally mentioned by the OP would not totally eliminate property taxes just the school portion of them. The 3% increase in sales tax would be pretty much equal to the portion of property tax that goes towards schools.
Okay, that would make sense, however, I still believe that it'll eventually hurt the state, as in, when the economy falls apart again (and it will) and people stop spending money. Atleast with the property taxes, the state KNOWS it'll get its money, or it'll have land to put up for sale.

It's almost like giving up a sure thing, for something that could fall apart. It really sounds like something California would do.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,809,995 times
Quote:
Okay, that would make sense, however, I still believe that it'll eventually hurt the state, as in, when the economy falls apart again (and it will) and people stop spending money. Atleast with the property taxes, the state KNOWS it'll get its money, or it'll have land to put up for sale.

It's almost like giving up a sure thing, for something that could fall apart. It really sounds like something California would do.
yup. California's dependence on individual income tax for the biggest shares of its budget is prone to painful volatility during good and bad times.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,386,438 times
It seems like a bad idea. I would like to see more downsizing of the state and local government work force with increased reliance on outside contractors to provide essential services like fire, schools, DMV etc.... The current business model of big government is not working and has become too expensive.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

15,459 posts, read 13,448,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It seems like a bad idea. I would like to see more downsizing of the state and local government work force with increased reliance on outside contractors to provide essential services like fire, schools, DMV etc.... The current business model of big government is not working and has become too expensive.
I would never want contractors to provide essential services. The profit motive versus mission motive gives a dynamic I am not comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or