Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 AM

119 posts, read 219,572 times

Advertisements

are there gyms other than beach street that take cash in the daytona area? and what are the rates? i have heard good and bad about beach street gym. the bad is that it may not be for a beginner who is going to need training. also, do the typical south daytona scum frequent this gym since its basically right off of ridgewood? and what about those teens/20 somethings that run the streets with their baggy clothes?

if its not good enough, are there other gyms that take cash. i prefer something thats $10/mo or less and no sign up fees and crap. i wanted to join PF in ormond but they want checking, and money is a issue for me right now on that front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM

wish there was a forum specifically for Volusia County so i could get replies

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
The only gym you need (especially for a beginner), is a place to run, do push ups, and do sit ups (along with flutter kicks). Once you are cranking out 50 or so solid form push ups, running a mile and half in nine minutes, and doing flutter kicks for two minutes straight without stopping; then you should go waste money at a gym.

If you can, rig up something to do some dips and pull ups.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:25 AM

actually, that will not do anything in the long run. i am not intimidated by body builders because i am not trying to become that, i just want to have a toned physique and not appear unattractive to women. i know some say looks don't matter to girls, but yeah they do. push-ups and sit-ups seem boring and i can't even do a sit-up because i had developed scoliosis when i was 16. i need a gym.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
80% of how your body looks comes from diet. the gym work accounts for stronger muscles and overall flexibility, if you are overweight the gym work will just make the muscles under the fat harder,wont do much for the fat unless you are burning 2000 calories per workout.
Also you are looking to spend $10 a month on a gymn? most gymn's i've ever been to will charge $10 per visit or yearly memberships around $300.
If you are looking for exercise on the cheap boxus has the right idea although maybe not as intense as his regime.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Push ups may seem boring, but they work! Sit ups are rather worthless, I should not have even mentioned them, they are only good if doing it for a specific reason, that is why I do them. Leg lifts and flutter kicks is all you need.

Alright, are you overweight? Skinny? How about some more data? How many form push ups can you do (without rest)? How man leg lifts? What is your mile run time? Having those things first, some recs can come your way as to how to start. You give me that data, i will tell you exactly what you need to do, and what schedule you need to do it in, along with diet recs.

I am telling you, you do not need to go to a gym. I go to a gym because it is free and I use their pull up bar and dip bar, and finish my stuff with some BB rows, squats, dead lifts, and overhead presses.

But as a beginner, I can guarantee you do not need a gym. The things that the gym are good for are what I stated I do above, but those can easily be overcame by doing things at home for a beginner. I am telling you that this stuff works and you do not need a gym, especially if you have limited funds.

As the poster above said, diet is key, diet is very important on all levels of fitness.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM

i am skinny, really skinny. 120 pounds and 6'3 on top of it.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM

what free gym do you go to? do you live in the area?

another reason to join a gym is because i don't have friends down here. i think i might have made maybe one but thats it. i need a social life and a gym would help that.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM

My gym is free because my company pays for it, and I live in Miami. My opinion, but a gym and working out is not for socializing, it is for exercising. If you have the time and energy to socialize, you are not hitting the exercises hard enough. I just do not even see how someone can socialize if they are working out properly.

120lbs at 6'3" is extreme, are you sure? I have never heard of someone that skinny outside a medical problem, not saying it does not happen, it is just rare and you would be a very hard gainer, how old are you?

Have you done a test to see where you are at? How many push ups, flutter kicks, and run time?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM

40 posts, read 57,879 times
WOW! Thats pretty skinny! I will double what Jambo said that 80% of your results will come from diet, and in your case you need in increase your food intake. Working out will only build muscle if you feed those muscles with protien after the workout.

I also agree that you can build muscle and get in shape without a gym but i do also understand your desire to meet other people and the gym is another possible way to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida