U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 7,417,290 times
Default Why wont Miami and Florida Play football against each other anymore

Why wont Miami and Florida play football against each other anymore?

And what was the game called again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 14,695 times
U of Florida is a class act and Miami is nothing but trouble.

No reason Florida should play Miami, they might be afraid of getting helmet whipped, bitten on the field or the team bus getting stolen.

There is a huge difference in the schools with Florida being a top of the line school and Miami being an embarrassement to the state and college sports.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM

2,227 posts, read 5,626,189 times
i have to agree with you on that one. miami has become an embarrasment, and besides that, as of lately, they suck. they have the distinction that they are still great b/c they put more players in the nfl than any other team (which is true, the state of fla puts more players into the nfl than any other by far) but now they truly stink. i guess they think b/c they are "the u" that they are still intimidating. but they arent.

i still like 'em. always have. born and raised floridians tend to pull for the gators, noles, or the canes. i pull for all 3. but fla state and uf definitely play with more class.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 AM

130 posts, read 1,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i have to agree with you on that one. miami has become an embarrasment, and besides that, as of lately, they suck. they have the distinction that they are still great b/c they put more players in the nfl than any other team (which is true, the state of fla puts more players into the nfl than any other by far) but now they truly stink. i guess they think b/c they are "the u" that they are still intimidating. but they arent.

i still like 'em. always have. born and raised floridians tend to pull for the gators, noles, or the canes. i pull for all 3. but fla state and uf definitely play with more class.
If you have noticed all Florida Schools are down and out a little. Reason being the new programs in the State such as FIU, FAU and USF. UCF going division I a few years ago did not help the depth of the three major programs as well. Your three major Division I schools have taken a huge hit in recruitment. They no longer have the depth the once did. This is the only reason why they are losing games they would usually win. If we did not have these new programs, every other year would be either FSU vs UM or UF for the national championship.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 AM

if you have the talent though, why choose fau or fiu over fsu, uf, or miami? uf is still awesome, and they did win the title last yr. i always pull for one of my fla teams, usually the one that has the best shot at the national championship

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM

6,530 posts, read 8,679,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
U of Florida is a class act and Miami is nothing but trouble.

No reason Florida should play Miami, they might be afraid of getting helmet whipped, bitten on the field or the team bus getting stolen.

There is a huge difference in the schools with Florida being a top of the line school and Miami being an embarrassement to the state and college sports.

If you're talking about the football programs I'd begrudgingly agree, but as far as Miami goes, it is a very good private school with great academics.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 AM

"it is a very good private school with great academics."

yup. absolutely right.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM

364 posts, read 683,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Why wont Miami and Florida play football against each other anymore?
Depends on who you talk to. The last reason, and I am probably way off, I heard was due to scheduling.

Florida playing in the SEC already yearly plays one of the hardest schedules in the country. They did not want or need to take on another difficult team(Well they were at least at the time hehe) out of conference.

Miami on the other hand being an independent for a long time then a member of the Big Easy(East) and now the ACC has a relatively easy schedule in comparison so they could easily fit in/replace another team.

I think the schools are in talks to face each other in a couple years maybe someone else knows if that went through.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM

387 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Uh. It's cyclical. Miami is back on our schedule next year at home. UMiami has become a joke, especially in athletics. I like Randy Shannon, maybe he can turn that program around, though it's always been full of thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida