U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
799 posts, read 2,128,334 times
Reputation: 286

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
you may need to move up north, like to West Virgina to find 20 acres cheap.
Houses cost alot less in West Virgina as well. Youll get lots of privacy in West Virgina, I have a friend that lives there and loves it!

Havent yet gotten a positive reputation from ya, I gave you another!

Actually, there is lots of inexpensive land here but you have to be willing to be way outside any major city.

I love parts of West Virginia, rooted for WVU's team Thursday, but don't want to live there! It snows up there in the winter! I'm a sunshine girl!

 
Old 09-16-2006, 03:11 PM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,496 posts, read 25,513,305 times
Reputation: 14858
Could you tell me how going without insurance would work? Even though you wouldn't be insuring your mobile home, could you still get insurance (like renter's insurance) to insure your personal belongings? Also, wouldn't you need to get some type of liability policy?

OldTimer, I'm still chuckling over your perception of "cold."

Last edited by Jammie; 09-16-2006 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: addition
 
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Port St. Lucie and Okeechobee, FL
1,297 posts, read 3,785,539 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Could you tell me how going without insurance would work? Even though you wouldn't be insuring your mobile home, could you still get insurance (like renter's insurance) to insure your personal belongings? Also, wouldn't you need to get some type of liability policy?
You have a prettty good grasp of it. First, of course, you have to be mortgage-free, because I don't know of any mortgage holders who will let you go without insurance to protect their interest.

Second, I think you should definitely have a liability policy. I have liability coverage for vacant land that I own, because there is an "attractive nuisance" on the property (a pond), and even though I have it fenced, the law says I have some liability if someone trespasses and drowns.

Beyond that, the level of coverage you would want depends on your needs. I might have some contents coverage because I have valuable antiques; someone else might want theft coverage because they have valuable jewelry, etc. Most people want fire coverage, even if they don't want to pay for wind damage coverage.

I have yet to look into it closely enough to have the exact details or to make a specific recommendation, but a recent Palm Beach Post article stated that some insurance companies offer "named perils" coverage, which more like a Chinese menu of coverages from which you can pick and choose. They cautioned that the insurance for each named cause, such as fire, might be more expensive than the fire portion of a package policy. Or, to put it another way, if you built up a policy with the same coverage as a package policy, you'd pay more for the different parts than for the package. I don't know, yet, who, if anyone, sells such policies, but I intend to find out before we move into the home we're building.
 
Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 355,069 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
You have a prettty good grasp of it. First, of course, you have to be mortgage-free, because I don't know of any mortgage holders who will let you go without insurance to protect their interest.

Second, I think you should definitely have a liability policy. I have liability coverage for vacant land that I own, because there is an "attractive nuisance" on the property (a pond), and even though I have it fenced, the law says I have some liability if someone trespasses and drowns.

Beyond that, the level of coverage you would want depends on your needs. I might have some contents coverage because I have valuable antiques; someone else might want theft coverage because they have valuable jewelry, etc. Most people want fire coverage, even if they don't want to pay for wind damage coverage.

I have yet to look into it closely enough to have the exact details or to make a specific recommendation, but a recent Palm Beach Post article stated that some insurance companies offer "named perils" coverage, which more like a Chinese menu of coverages from which you can pick and choose. They cautioned that the insurance for each named cause, such as fire, might be more expensive than the fire portion of a package policy. Or, to put it another way, if you built up a policy with the same coverage as a package policy, you'd pay more for the different parts than for the package. I don't know, yet, who, if anyone, sells such policies, but I intend to find out before we move into the home we're building.
You just buy a basic homeowners policy. It won't have the hurricane coverage but will have everything else, should not be to expensive. I believe you are covered against loss from a storm or tornado just not named hurricanes.
 
Old 09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Florida
919 posts, read 1,218,905 times
Reputation: 524
Need Affordable Home,

You may want to consider looking at properties in Interlachen,
FL. You can easily find .20-.25 of an acre for about $8,000. Most of the homes are Mobile homes. You can find a street with 2 houses and 5 mobile homes. Some streets have nothing but mobile homes. The area is rural, but about 15 minutes to the east on highway 20 is Palatka. Gainesvillle is about 45 minutes to the west if you travel on highway 20 going west. Small town with one high school, a library, and I'm not sure of how many elementary or middle schools.
Jacksonville is about an hour and a half. The beaches on the east coast is only about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to the east.

Again this may be option you may want to consider. It all depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for simplicity, affordable living, slow pace, and being near fancy spots or trendy people is not an issue, than you may want to check it out and visit the area. One day in the area should be enough as the area is not big.

Hope this info. helps.
 
Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 355,069 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Hello, I have been looking for cheap land in Florida because in another thread, I have said its better to own than rent. There is no cheap land in south Florida, is there? In Palm Beach County, theres not alot of lots for $100k or less. I did find a .17 acre for 80k that accepts mobile homes. I looked in Port Saint Lucie and there is an abundance of $80-100k land of .25 to .35 acres, but I wonder which areas allow mobile homes. Probably not in an area of new house developments. Perhaps in an old area or in a mobile park that sells the land instead of rents it. I did the math and I will lose less money buying than renting. There is the upfront cost but as long as the lot maintains its value or better yet rises, ill come out ahead.

Who here is familiar with Marion County? Isnt that where Ocala is? Someone is selling .2 acres thats suitable for mobiles for just $8000! That lot is a bit larger than the one in Palm Beach County at a tenth the price! Plus I pay zero property taxes thanks to homestead exemption! Are mobile homes assessed as real estate and subject to florida property taxes? My dad says no, only land/lots, houses and condos are.

Jobs wont be a concern if I have a home business. I am considering that because its easier and im my own boss plus it may pay equal or more than jobs! Therefore it wont matter if there are no good jobs in said area.
I do want a low crime area and be easy commute to a city if im not in a city.

Houses cost $100 to $150 a square foot to build depending on size of house, features and where the house is built. I can get a nice mobile home for $20-$30 a square foot, a huge savings and an affordable alternative. I am not worried about hurricanes, the newer ones are rated to 175mph gusts and also are tied down with cables so they wont fly!

The mobile parks here want $400-500 a month lot fees and their lots are tiny, like 3000-4000 feet or a tenth acre at most. Having my own land avoids this and also if the mobile park sells to a developer, all the inhabitants will be forced out. Owning my own land protects me for the most part. Also the property taxes will be very low or none unless I buy tons of land or expensive land which I cant(afford) and wont.

Thanks for reading, your help is much appreciated! I will rate you positivately for your contributations
I don't want to offend anybody but the real problem with that is you own end up owning something that is almost worthless. If you want to sell it no one will buy it. I was looking at cheap land with mobile homes on them to build on figuring they were worth something since the utilities are already there and I didn't find anything I would want and they were a dime a dozen, they are everywhere.

You don't want to be buying something that you can't sell later. Even with a mobile home you have to get a quality location. It sounds cool to do the Green Acres thing but you have to use common sense when buying property. I like to look at the MLS and I see properties all the time that I look at and say, "That will sell". And you know what, in two weeks it has a contract on it even in today's market. Good quality real estate is always worth buying even if you have to pay a premium to get it. It is the difference between something you will enjoy owning and living on and something you won't be able to give away. Just some food for thought
 
Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 AM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 10,290,774 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Need Affordable Home,

You may want to consider looking at properties in Interlachen,
FL. You can easily find .20-.25 of an acre for about $8,000. Most of the homes are Mobile homes. You can find a street with 2 houses and 5 mobile homes. Some streets have nothing but mobile homes. The area is rural, but about 15 minutes to the east on highway 20 is Palatka. Gainesvillle is about 45 minutes to the west if you travel on highway 20 going west. Small town with one high school, a library, and I'm not sure of how many elementary or middle schools.
Jacksonville is about an hour and a half. The beaches on the east coast is only about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to the east.

Again this may be option you may want to consider. It all depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for simplicity, affordable living, slow pace, and being near fancy spots or trendy people is not an issue, than you may want to check it out and visit the area. One day in the area should be enough as the area is not big.

Hope this info. helps.

Thanks! Is there electic, any underground water wells and most important of all, high speed broadband internet? What do people do for fun there?


Quote:
I don't want to offend anybody but the real problem with that is you own end up owning something that is almost worthless. If you want to sell it no one will buy it. I was looking at cheap land with mobile homes on them to build on figuring they were worth something since the utilities are already there and I didn't find anything I would want and they were a dime a dozen, they are everywhere.

You don't want to be buying something that you can't sell later. Even with a mobile home you have to get a quality location. It sounds cool to do the Green Acres thing but you have to use common sense when buying property. I like to look at the MLS and I see properties all the time that I look at and say, "That will sell". And you know what, in two weeks it has a contract on it even in today's market. Good quality real estate is always worth buying even if you have to pay a premium to get it. It is the difference between something you will enjoy owning and living on and something you won't be able to give away. Just some food for thought

Still a far better option than renting which is worse than worthless. I am not in the market to invest in real estate, that has already been done to death in the last 5 years and now we are in the midst of a correction. How cheap is the land+mobile have you seen? If you can predict which houses will sell, you could become a realtor I agree that desirable estate is never bad, but unfortunately, its never for the poor either!
 
Old 09-17-2006, 01:56 PM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,496 posts, read 25,513,305 times
Reputation: 14858
NeedAFordable. Check out Ocala4Sale. They have listings in the upper right hand corner and they list single wides and doublewides for sale. It appears most of them are in parks, but some seem to be in the Ocala forest. Good luck.
 
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 10,290,774 times
Reputation: 929
I want to update you all that ive been considering moving out of Florida alltogether. Many of you here and on other forums have advised against mobiles. My dad is sterotyped against mobiles. When I told him about moving to a cheaper state and getting a nice house, he said thats the way to go. He wishes I could stay in s. Florida and be near him and mom but both understand the unaffordable house situation. While I am not against mobiles and even favor them as an affordable option, I feel that I can led a better quality of life and live the american dream of owning a house by living elsewhere. West Virginia is looking good now. Houston is OK but much more expensive with insane property taxes. I can afford about 1000 square feet of house in Houston at $70k or 2000-3000 square feet of house in West Virginia for the same price or for $50k, this will get me 1200-2000 square feet of house. There are plenty of houses for under $50k in WV and some are very nice! Do any of you know other states as cheap/affordable as WV?
 
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,496 posts, read 25,513,305 times
Reputation: 14858
Affordable, sorry to hear you'll have to leave your parents in order to afford a home. In answer to your question, yes, there are many midwestern states that have much more affordable housing. So. Dak. is one of them. If you don't mind the cold and snow, you may want to check out some of the smaller cities in SD. Tulsa OK also seems to have very affordable homes and is probably warmer then WV. I really want to wish you luck in whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top