U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 AM

10,906 posts, read 9,102,749 times
Default Mt Dora ?

Can any one tell me any thing about this area? I saw a feature about it in a magazine, and it seemed to have a lot of antique shops, flea markets, and artsy type people.

What other areas are near there? I am looking for a small second home, in a friendly funky area with nice people and pretty surroundings.i
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM

12,176 posts, read 11,890,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Can any one tell me any thing about this area? I saw a feature about it in a magazine, and it seemed to have a lot of antique shops, flea markets, and artsy type people.

What other areas are near there? I am looking for a small second home, in a friendly funky area with nice people and pretty surroundings.i
It has a fair amount of antiques shops, a large flea market and a cutesy downtown area. I wouldn't call it funky, and it definitely isn't what one would call artsy in terms of who lives there. If looking in Florida I would recommend either Gulfport, St Augustine or Key West. Key Largo could be an option as well, as it's less crowded and less expensive.

Gulfport Florida
St. Augustine, FL | St. Augustine, FL | OldCity.com
Florida Keys & Key West vacation planning starts here with the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,557,122 times
The lake boardwalk there is AWESOME. I have not been there in 16 years, but I thought it was awesome then.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM

10,156 posts, read 16,361,719 times
In addition to Kyle's suggestions, you should check out Sarasota, just about the artsiest small city in Florida. It's really great (I live here and LOVE it!) A very vibrant, bomenian downtown, and lots of artists, festivals, art happening, museums, etc. Best beaches in the country, too!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM

4,798 posts, read 4,206,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
In addition to Kyle's suggestions, you should check out Sarasota, just about the artsiest small city in Florida. It's really great (I live here and LOVE it!) A very vibrant, bomenian downtown, and lots of artists, festivals, art happening, museums, etc. Best beaches in the country, too!
Second that. St Augustine is also a good choice, as Kyle mentioned. I'd probably pick either of those over Mt Dora

Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM

706 posts, read 364,504 times
We have friends that we visit there. They retired to Mt. Dora about seven years ago, and refurbished a beautiful home, walking distance from downtown. They enjoy it, and are into all the civic stuff.

It is very conservative, and the schools are bad. Because of the economy, many small shops have closed.

It is quaint, but is well kept. Around Thanksgiving they have a Christmas Pageant, and choirs in the town square; they light up the town with those tiny white lights, and the stores are all open late.

I would retire in Sarasota if it wasn't so very hot in the summer. Good restaurants, lots of art, theater, and more upscale shopping.

Last edited by funisart; 03-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,838,735 times
Bunch of pretentious people too. Mount Dora is in the middle of nowhere, literally. It's a nice enough area, but dont offer much if you like to live near civilization.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM

10,906 posts, read 9,102,749 times
I'll pass on Mt. Dora. Another place I might want to visit,( I really like flea markets) but live there? You have all given me what look like better options.

Even though it's a modified "snow bird situation' (I am WAY too young to be a Snow Bird) I can not take ONE MORE ENTIRE WINTER in the North East!

Next year after the holidays I'm outta here! Till the Spring.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,557,122 times
AOL Search

Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,206,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'll pass on Mt. Dora. Another place I might want to visit,( I really like flea markets) but live there? You have all given me what look like better options.

Even though it's a modified "snow bird situation' (I am WAY too young to be a Snow Bird) I can not take ONE MORE ENTIRE WINTER in the North East!

Next year after the holidays I'm outta here! Till the Spring.
I spent four years in syracuse as a native Floridian. Totally understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida