U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 AM

68 posts, read 39,397 times
Default Newlyweds moving Central FL. Advise needed.

So this is my second post. Just starting to get a feel for the forums. My fiance and I are deciding on a move from Maine just after I graduate from my MFA in writing program in January 2014.

My mother is most likely moving to The Villages soon and we are looking to be close to her(no more than a 30-45 minute drive). Fiance will be looking for jobs in restaurant service perhaps, though he may be getting into security now, he likes working overnights(weirdo =P). I will hopefully be looking for a job teaching writing(adult ed. or college) and trying to support myself as a writer with a job in lodging which I have over 10yrs experience in. So we need to be close enough to colleges and hotels. However we are not city dwellers and prefer the layed back pace of small towns. Can someone give me some ideas of what towns to start with between The Villages and Orlando?

Hopefully next winter we'll be planning a trip to do some research in the area. For now we may be looking at a one day drive around in September when we are at WDW for our honeymoon.

We are certainly not rich, so middle-income communities would be better, withinin 30-45 minute drive to universities/hotels. Also I'm interested in alternative education for future children, charter schools, Waldorf(Though I think the closest one is in Palm Harbor).

Thank you for your help. We are just starting our search so we would be greatful for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM

378 posts, read 388,990 times
Gainesville may be worth a look. It's one of just a few places I'd live in FL. Smaller town, huge university with lots of lodging for parents coming into town to visit and super crowds for sporting events. Jobs may be tough to find. A lot of students fall in love with the place and compete for jobs after graduation (like my son & his girlfriend did). A little over an hour from the Villages though.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM

I was looking more in between The Villages and Orlando. Clermont has been suggested. Does anybody have thoughts on Clermont?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 10,631,042 times
I wouldn't overlook Ocala. It has the laidback pace you'd be looking for without having to deal with the everyday sprawl/congestion commuting to/from Orlando. While not having the density of employment or education in the area you would have choices and think it's certainly worth checking out. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 AM

509 posts, read 913,680 times
Please don't come to Florida until you BOTH have jobs, especially since you will be eligible for entry level jobs that don't pay much. Salaries in Florida are not great. So many people come here with your plans and are still struggling after living here a year or more. Jobs are not plentyful. Ocala has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state, so I'd suggest you do overlook it.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

I understand the job market is bad. We plan on one of us(probably me since I will have the advanced degree for teaching jobs and the experience in lodging). I saw that The Villages has an learning program. I'll probably end up emailing colleges/universities and hotels my resume and trying to set up interviews. Then go down for a week or two. I wouldn't move without a job. I know better than that.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,049 times
Hello,
I lived in Clermont last year and have some opinions on it that might help you. I have young children and had an annual pass for Disney, so we liked that it was close enough that we could hear the fireworks at night, if we couldn't make it there for the show. We lived near Lake Louisa, actually right off of it, and I enjoyed the beauty of that area of Clermont a lot, as it was very quiet, peaceful, and the views were gorgeous. But what I didn't like was that the town did not feel like a town, everything was spread out and there really was not a shopping center that had everything you needed. Certain parts of Clermont were very nice while other parts left a lot to be desired. We suffered a loss in the family and had to move to California last year but are planning our move back to Florida for the end of the year or early next year. We are planning to settle in the Daytona area, around Palm Coast. Other than Siesta Keys (very expensive to live), Palm Coast was our favorite beach community. If you are going to live near Orlando, I recommend coming up with a list of towns around the city and visiting because a lot of them are hit and miss and you won't know what you like until you see it for yourself. Good luck!
Sarah

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM

554 posts, read 1,474,446 times
You might want to check out the Mt.Dora, Eustis area. It is about 35 minutes to Orlando and 35 minutes to the Villages. The feel is small town all the way. Lake county in general is way more laid back then Orlando.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Is Mt Dora really 35 minutes from Orlando and The Villages? Google Maps tells me 50ish minutes to both? My husband and I are now looking closer to Orlando but the plan is to get a short term rental in between Orlando and the Villages with my mother to help us save money. But it seems impossible to be in between and not have a crazy commute for one of us.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 AM

22,121 posts, read 28,863,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suorkaterina View Post
Is Mt Dora really 35 minutes from Orlando and The Villages? Google Maps tells me 50ish minutes to both? My husband and I are now looking closer to Orlando but the plan is to get a short term rental in between Orlando and the Villages with my mother to help us save money. But it seems impossible to be in between and not have a crazy commute for one of us.
I'd trust Google Maps, but it depends on where in Mount Dora and where in Orlando.

I'm not sure you're going to find a short term rental in Mount Dora, I think it's zoned with minimum seven months rental times.

I live in Clermont, by the way. I'm roughly 40 minutes to the Villages off Route 27 and 35 minutes to downtown Orlando with no traffic, 45 minutes with traffic. It's a full hour from here to UCF.

I'm not sure what Orlando has to do with your equation. There are few restaurants in downtown. Most restaurants are on Sand Lake, I-Drive, Universal, Disney, or otherwise scattered throughout the area. The majority of hotels are in Universal, Disney, the Sea World area, I-Drive, and on Semoran near the airport. There are a handful downtown, but they are almost an after thought.

I think you're going to have a VERY difficult time finding a teaching job, this area is over saturated with teachers (except ESL and middle school math/science). Your best bet is hospitality, but those jobs don't generally pay all that well unless you are management. Your fiance can expect to make $10/hour as a security guard, no I'm not kidding. It can be difficult to break into restaurants in this area unless you know someone. If he's got experience he can probably get hired at Disney or one of the lower end chain places, but to get into the places where the real money is will take a couple years of networking.

As to the person who lived in Clermont and said there was no shopping center, I'm confused about that statement. There is a shopping center with a Penney's, movie theater, TJ Maxx, Michaels, and a dozen other stores. Across the street in one direction is BJ's, and adjacent in the other direction is Kohls. It's not like it was put up after the poster left the area, it's been there for four years now. There is plenty of shopping in Clermont. The only thing I need to go more than five miles from my home for is William-Sonoma and L'Occitane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida