Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,811 times

Advertisements

I know everyone is thinking the same thing, not another question about moving to FL

I am looking for an area where I can relocate with my family ( my 8 year old daughter, my husband, and my mother)

Since we are moving from WV, we are looking for a place that has more of a "small" time feel to it. Low crime rate and not in Hurricane Alley

We recently visited the Boynton Beach area. We loved the area, but it was a little bit to much for us "country" folk. We would like a place that is less congested with people and traffic.

All you Floridians out there with families, where do you live or where do you recommend??

Thank-You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,292 times
I thought all of Florida was Hurricane Alley.
What are you looking for other than country and how country are you looking for? Are good schools important, do you want to live near the beach, what kind of jobs will you need, are you planning to buy a house and is affordability important, etc?

Without knowing the other info, you might want to look at areas around Tampa like Tarpon Springs, Holiday, Port Richey, Hudson, Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills, Lakeland, Plant City. The central panhandle like Marianna, Chipley, DeFuniak Springs, Crestview, Milton, Pace, Freeport. Some of the areas around Gainesville, some of the areas around Ocala, areas between Sarasota and Ft. Myers like North Port, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte.

I live on the panhandle. The area is more Alabama than Florida. It's pretty conservative and somewhat country, especially the areas further inland from the coast like Crestview, DeFuniak Springs, and Milton. The area has decent schools, fairly affordable housing, and great beaches. In general, crime is pretty low here. Dognapping is big news around here. This area is a big pickup truck, hunting, fishing, and boating area.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 56,747 times
Default citrus county

We moved from Michigan to Citrus County Florida and I think it might be just what your looking for. It's not conjested at all. I've never seen any kind of traffic here, and it's a small town feeling. We live about 1.5 hours to Clearwater, and about 45 minutes north of Tarpon Springs. The price of homes where we live ranges from about 68,ooo - 160,ooo. There are also rentals for about 650 - 850. Check it out.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
try looking at Tallahassee, maybe.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times
What about the suburbs of Jacksonville? Orange Park, Greencove Springs area...it's developed but not too much for you. You could also look into southern Georgia, right over the border or west of Jacksonville--which is pretty country from what I understand.

Although people badmouth the traffic in Jax, it doesn't compare to Palm Beach County! Jax and PBC is like night and day. Jax is a slower pace of life but close to the beach. You might also like St. Augustine too.

Unlike Palm Beach County, Jax hasn't had a hurricane in many, many years so you wouldn't constantly have to look over your shoulder there.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
You might want to take a look at Gainesville and the surrounding area.

Jax is probably going to be too big for you to have a 'country feel' and if you do go west of Jax to the rural areas, having to commute into Jax via I10 is a nightmare (and it's likely you'd have to commute into Jax for work). Also, the rural areas here in NEFL are not so nice, IMO. I like rural areas as a whole, but not in this region.

North of Jax, into Nassau county used to be quiet and rural, but the developers have gotten a hold of it and it's changing the whole flavor of the area.

As far as crime, crime can actually be quite high in rural North East Florida, but since the populations are low, it doesn't look so bad. Also, the solve rate is high for the same reason - small population that is well-known by the police force. As the populations grow in those areas, the crime is likely to follow.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 AM

128 posts, read 648,197 times
Hi, without knowing what you will do for employment there are a couple of small towns I know of that have that small town feel. First one is Labelle about 25 miles east of Fort Myers well inland and a very nice town. Second is Arcadia about 30 miles north east of Fort Myers. Both are very quiet but I don't know what you would find as far as employment options. Good luck with your search, and do your homework times are tough all over.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
There is the Inverness, Hommasassa, Crystal River areas too. All really nice, and small towns.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:45 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
Please, please, make sure you have a job before you move here. If you don't have a job, then you need to make sure you have enough money saved for at least 6 months of living expenses. Don't be fooled into thinking it is cheap to live here.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Please, please, make sure you have a job before you move here. If you don't have a job, then you need to make sure you have enough money saved for at least 6 months of living expenses. Don't be fooled into thinking it is cheap to live here.
Agreed! Tell us your work situation, then we can better advise you where you might look to live. Remember unless you are self-sufficient or self-employed, living in a rural or small town means few to no jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida