Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,789 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Me,my fiancee ,my mother and her fiancee are looking to move to florida in the next 5-6 months we are looking for more information on a area that is reasonable to live and a low crime area. we can afford around 800.00 a month maybe a little more.I currently have a job here hopfully i can transfer but if not this would be the type of work id be looking for im looking for either costumer service,managment,cashier,office work or restraunt work. my mother would be looking for a job there tho would it be hard for her to find an office type job she currently works as a office clerk for a dentist office.my fiance is disabled and cant work due to an accident a few years ago.my moms fiance is retired but a very low fixed income.we dont have any kids at the moment. please any input would be appreciated it.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 25,354 times
Hi Indiana4321 Our online Naple's newspaper is Southwest Florida news, entertainment, cars, jobs, real estate, weather, events, shopping | news-press.com - The News-Press which is a great place to start looking to see what our town offer. I live here full time and love it.
Judith

Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Why do you want to move to Florida? Your reasons can help find the right area.

Are all 4 of you going to be living together? Do you want to rent a house or an apartment?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 11,789 times
we are wanting to rent either a house trailor apartment condo dosent matter really not looking to buy at this time. we will all be living togather to help each other out. reason we want to move there is here it goes be ready for a list lol

1. we have lived here in indiana all our life we want a change I have been to fl a few times and always wanted to go back and my fiance has been there 1 time and he loved it and wanted to go back also.

2. to cold here in winter

3. season changes here messes with ashma,allergies really bad.

4.its boring ,dull and ugly here no nice beaches or palm trees all we have here is a muddy stinky river that really does stink!!

5.looking to start a new life in a new area

6 we want to live by the ocean (always have)

7 ever since we went to fl we always felt we belong there

well i hope this helps any mores ?'s feel free to ask.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana4321 View Post
3. season changes here messes with ashma,allergies really bad.
FYI, Florida has year round allergy issues. As an allergy/asthma sufferer myself. There is always something year round. So don't think you will run away from allegies here. You may even develop new ones when you move here.

As for a place for 4 people for $800, not going to find a place that cheap in a safe area in SE Florida. Maybe try the panhandle or Northern Florida, like Jacksonville, Ocala, Gainsville, Tallahassee area.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
You might try checking into Lake County. The Clermont or Mt.Dora area are close enough for commuting to Orlando which broadens your area of possible employment. Orlando, Maitland, Apopka, Ocoee and Disney are all between 20-45 min commute. You might have to pay more for rent than $800.00 no matter where you go. Probably more like $1000-1400.
Another area is Fruitland Park/Lady Lake on the northwest side of the county closer to the Ocala area. Ocala (Marion County) might be a good choice also. Wages run from $8-12 hr. for the type of work you described.
There is plenty to do in Central Florida compared to Indiana, as I grew up there. The beaches are about 1 - 1 1/2 hour drive, the attractions are close by, and many state parks for hiking and swimming. Lots of fishing too and golf if you are into that. Cost of living is a little higher here I think. I have relatives in Indiana and we always compare notes. Seems insurance, property tax and food is higher here. No state income tax though ))

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Hi there,

You can find 2 bedroom apartment rentals in safe areas along the Treasure Coast (Jensen Beach, Port Saint Lucie, Vero Beach), as well as in Brevard County (Palm Bay). You'll be anywhere from 5-25 minutes from the beach in any of those locations.

You may also consider Tallahassee, which is the state's capital. Lots of affordable housing choices there, and a decent job economy. Only downside is that the beach is a lot further away.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Florida does have year round allergy issues. Up north, allergies are mostly affected by the blooming season in the spring and the mold season in the fall. Things are blooming and moldy in Florida all year. I think July and August are the only months when my sinuses are completely clear.

If I were you, I would avoid living in the major city areas with the possible exception of Jacksonville. You will be required by law to rent a minimum of 2 bedrooms with 4 adults and, at your price range, you would probably be stuck in really sketchy areas in the big cities like Tampa, Orlando, Miami. Jacksonville is still pretty affordable and should have some good job options. I would also take a look at Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, Crestview, suburbs of Tallahassee, Lakeland, Niceville, or Daytona Beach. I would avoid south FL with the exception of maybe Venice, North Port, or Punta Gorda. Someone on that end of the state may have some affordable pockets to suggest but generally the cost of living and lack of employment is becoming a problem down there.

Forget about the suggestion of Naples. The cost of living is insane there. Also, be aware that wages in Florida are pretty low and are nowhere close to matching the cost of living. With that in mind, you really want to consider affordability.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDSLLC View Post
Hi Indiana4321 Our online Naple's newspaper is Southwest Florida news, entertainment, cars, jobs, real estate, weather, events, shopping | news-press.com - The News-Press which is a great place to start looking to see what our town offer. I live here full time and love it.
Judith
This is the website for the paper that is based out of Fort Myers.

Here is the website for the Naples area: Naples Daily News.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 16,251 times
Default Police in Florida

Anyone have any suggestions on a good police department to work for? My husband and I are looking to move from Ohio to Florida. There are not many police jobs around here and most departments are laying police off. So, we could pick anywhere in the US to live and we decided on Florida. We hate winters, and it is very and I mean very boring around here. We would love a good place to raise our two small children. So, any suggestions would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida