Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM

93 posts, read 235,216 times

Advertisements

As a Black person you may wonder what is source of latino/ Black Tension. May notice that Many Latinos share African blood yet for many there dislike for black people is very obvious. Without getting into a whole diatribe here are some things to consider:

1)Latin America was colonized by people who were already swarthy. The African Moors had ruled Spain and Portugal for 700 years prior to Columbus's arrival in what is now Puerto Rico.

2)Because of this the "Somatic Norm Image" of Latin America is Much darker than that of Anglo colonized the North America. People consider "Black" in Chicago or Baltimore are "White" in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Colombia, etc.

3) "Whitening" of the Bloodline (something that would be consider repulsive to some noble minded Blacks) is the ultimate goal of many mulitracial latinos. While the many hold on to Africa custom (mostly thru religion under the guise of Catholicism) they generally despise there African or partial African appearance.

Books to get you started:

Who is Black: One Nations Defintion James Davis

Presumed Alliance Nicolas Vaca

This should get you are started,

If you read this book you may get a better understanding of your history and yourself, whether "Black" or "Latino":

Golden of the Moor Ivan Sertima

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,900,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I will have to go back and get the quote to which I was responding to make sure this is not out of context. I never said people can't talk to each other. I said you have no right to stop and question other people about why they are doing something or standing somewhere, if you have no official authority. Last night I was sitting in my car after dark in a parking lot. Why I was there isn't important. I was waiting for someone and using my laptop. If you walked out of a store or restaurant and began to head toward my car, I would probably put up the window and refuse to talk to you or drive away. You would have no authority to question me or follow me. It's none of your business!! Of course you can try to talk to anyone you want, but I'm quite certain that wasn't what the post I was answering said.

If you thought I was doing something suspicious, then you could write down the model of my car and my license plate. Period. I live in a very safe area, but I would be the one who could claim self-defense under the law if you approached me while I was sitting in my car. I don't think people are understanding what went on here. You are not "Standing Your Ground" if you are following someone.

Now, let me look for the quote I answered. Here it is:
As I wrote earlier. No, we do not. We are not mini-cops. Big difference between talking to someone to get directions and confronting someone. You quoted me as if I said we don't have a right to ask someone a question.
This sounds like semantics.
You say a person has no right to confront another. Confront does not mean physically detain, so we do have that right.
We have no right to get physical or to detain a person, but, talk, yes.

I understood that you were saying I don't have the right to approach and question you, and I do, just as you have the right not to answer me and to walk away.

to face in hostility or defiance; oppose: The feuding factions confronted one another.

We are facing each other in opposition, in cyberworld, right now. We could do this in public. You could walk away. We could even part as friends after such a confrontation.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This sounds like semantics.
You say a person has no right to confront another. Confront does not mean physically detain, so we do have that right.
Well, we will never agree on this. To me a confrontation is much different from politely approaching someone. The word is often used when discussing war. Words do matter. I've often seen someone who looked puzzled or confused and asked, "Are you okay?" If I asked, "What the hell are you doing? Are you stoned or something?" I would get a different result.

Of course citizens should get involved and not look the other way when someone is in trouble. However, if people truly believe that we should walk up to a stranger who is doing nothing wrong and "confront him" with a lot of questions, then I suppose we have become a nation of meddlesome busybodies. I'm very friendly, but I believe we need to have boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

We are facing each other in opposition, in cyberworld, right now. We could do this in public. You could walk away. We could even part as friends after such a confrontation.
We could part as friends after a civil discussion. The internet is safe because you can't hit me or shoot me. That's why many people become hostile and combative online when, in real life, they are often timid and meek.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,175,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Zimmerman's actions may have been over the top, but I can't believe some of the posts here that are stating there is no reason for him to be suspicious of someone walking through his neigborhood in the rain wearing a hoodie. Why have a neighborhood watch program at all? Usually it is a result of having had recent crime issues. A hoodie can be more than a fashion statement. It is also a method to hide one's identity to the casual observer. If the bad guys were wearing bandannas around their faces like in the old west, would you let your kid wear banannas while walking around your neighbor hood at night in the rain? It's not against the law, sure, but would it be the smart thing to do, to emulate a thug in an area where thugs have been reported?

If Zimmerman overstepped his "authority" (if there was any authority) and it can be proven then have at him. But keep an open mind to the circumstances and hope that the whole truth comes out.

Hoodies in Florida are uncommon unless it is cold or raining. All Star day as it was said the day he was shot, it was tremendously cooler a drop from 86/87 degrees the previous day to the 50's 60's with scattered showers.

And he was a teenager with a bag of skittles. Not once did he threat Zimmerman, threaten the neighborhood, or anything vulgar to cause one to take the actions of confronting him. I've read this thread and you seem to defending the "undefendable". Zimmerman's actions were NOT by any means needed and thus as the calls and witnesses can not be justified. In the state of Florida you are allowed to use your gun if only someone threatens your property or initiates you to become defensive. NONE of these happened therefore Zimmerman being the shooter should be arrested and charge, then allowed to defend himself, not the other way around.

What the hell and you don't even live here.

Last edited by IAm_FloridaBorn; 03-23-2012 at 01:28 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Well, we will never agree on this. To me a confrontation is much different from politely approaching someone. The word is often used when discussing war. Words do matter. I've often seen someone who looked puzzled or confused and asked, "Are you okay?" If I asked, "What the hell are you doing? Are you stoned or something?" I would get a different result.

Of course citizens should get involved and not look the other way when someone is in trouble. However, if people truly believe that we should walk up to a stranger who is doing nothing wrong and "confront him" with a lot of questions, then I suppose we have become a nation of meddlesome busybodies. I'm very friendly, but I believe we need to have boundaries.

We could part as friends after a civil discussion. The internet is safe because you can't hit me or shoot me. That's why many people become hostile and combative online when, in real life, they are often timid and meek.

You could say that, yes but one must also remember the internet is an open gateway. If trouble can be found harm can be done. May not be immediately or physically but there are ways to be hurt. Just saying.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 AM

At first when I seen it on the news, I was like ok, just someone else was shot in the Orlando area nothing new. But as details continue to unfold it does upset me.

I'm not racists, so Zimmerman shouldn't be arrested because he was not black.

My issue is Sanford and their nasty law enforcement. I for one HATE sanford and being in Orlando, Sanford and their police has had it's racial issues more than any other Orlando area city besides Orlando Police itself. I remember when the black homeless man was BEAT DOWN and nothing happened.

This kid was murdered. I'm sorry but **** STATE LAWS, as humans, their just is no room for the corrupt feeling of not being moral, to justify a charge of murder. NONE.

I pray for the best outcome in this case, as people continue to move on with their lives.\

I could only think what if Trayvon had shot Zimmerman and claimed self defense, he'd been locked up and tested.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
A hoodie can be more than a fashion statement. It is also a method to hide one's identity to the casual observer.
I'm an old ladyWhite and female, and I have a hoodie. So what? I don't understand what a hoodie has to do with this case. Who cares if he had 50 tattoos or 100 piercings? What country is this? Saudi Arabia? When I was a teenager I wore beads in my hair and people thought I was weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
You could say that, yes but one must also remember the internet is an open gateway. If trouble can be found harm can be done. May not be immediately or physically but there are ways to be hurt. Just saying.
True. You'd have to follow the discussion and read some earlier posts to know why I wrote that. I was having a disagreement with another member (goldengrain) about confronting others. Yes, I agree words can hurt. Cyber-bullying has caused suicides. I also grew up in a very abusive home, so I know what words can do to someone.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-23-2012 at 01:15 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,039,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Hoodies in Florida are uncommon unless it is cold or raining. All Star day as it was said the day he was shot, it was tremendously cooler a drop from 86/87 degrees the previous day to the 50's 60's with scattered showers.

And he was a teenager with a bag of skittles. Not once did he threat Zimmerman, threaten the neighborhood, or anything vulgar to cause one to take the actions of confronting him. I've read this thread and you seem to defending the "undefendable". Zimmerman's actions were NOT by any means needed and thus as the calls and witnesses can not be justified. In the state of Florida you are allowed to use your gun if only someone threatens your property or initiates you to become defensive. NONE of these happened therefore Zimmerman being the shooter should be arrested and charge, then allowed to defend himself, not the other way around.

What the hell and you don't even live here.
My post is four days old at this point ( a lot more has come out since then)and you neglect the last paragraph of that post: "If Zimmerman overstepped his "authority" (if there was any authority) and it can be proven then have at him. But keep an open mind to the circumstances and hope that the whole truth comes out."

I am not defending Zimmerman. As to the fact that I don't live in FL, why does it matter? Not that it matters, but I used to live in FL. By the way, this case has gone viral and people are commenting on it everywhere. Are you planning on getting on every blog, telling people they can't comment on it if they don't live in FL?

Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,039,593 times
Quote:
I'm an old ladyWhite and female, and I have a hoodie. So what? I don't understand what a hoodie has to do with this case. Who cares if he had 50 tattoos or 100 piercings? What country is this? Saudi Arabia? When I was a teenager I wore beads in my hair and people thought I was weird.
It's all relative to the situation at the time. If you were a businessman in an office, you wouldn't keep your job long if you wore cloths like a street thug. I am not saying Martin was dressed like a street thug. His attire may have been totally appropriate for the weather at the time. It is becoming more apparent as time goes by, that Zimmerman was out of line with his actions, and he will likely do time for it.

This may not be Saudi Arabia, but the US is a big place. Maybe there is a place somewhere in this country where someone with 50 tattoos and 100 piercings could get a job as, say, an accountant for H&R Block or some other company doing business with the public. Let me know if you can find a situation like that. Face it. There is still discrimination in this country and it is foolish to think everyone will someday be color blind or accepting of all styles of body art or clothing. I could go on about that, but that would probably trigger an off topic explosion. We can only hope for a future where I can say I was wrong about that.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,900,809 times
Quote:

Nobody said that we should walk up to a stranger and confront him, we merely stated that it is among our rights to do so: it is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida