Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,589,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
The news and left wing media outlets are making this out to be an old white guy who killed a kid who was doing nothing.

Turns out the guy is not white, is not old and none of us now all the facts so we might as well stop here.

The facts will come out in time.

Like why was this guy carrying a gun?

Why was the boy in this area and why did he not leave when asked to leave?

The media has hyped this as a hate crime when in fact so far the facts do not show it anything close to a hate crime.

Lets all sit back and wait until the facts come out.

The fact that I know is that an unarmed child who was walking back to his relative's house was murdered while he begged for his life. What difference do the rest of those questions make?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Why would it change how people view this just because the shooter was Hispanic? I don't know what his motivation was but yes, hispanics can be racists toward blacks...just as blacks can be racist toward whites, asians, etc. That wouldn't diminish anything from this case. I don't see how it makes a difference.

Because the narrative was "white racism" and now it's a bit more complicated than that.

At a micro level, it makes no difference as to the guy's guilt or innocence. At a macro level, what the media initially portrayed (and what the victim's family advanced) was the "whites getting away with crimes against blacks" argument.

Again, just academically interesting.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,293,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Racism doesn't go away if it's not black/white. His 911 call and his "they always get away" told you all you need to know.
That tells me that the police had been responding too slowly to his calls, which frustrated him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would love to hear of some other motivation theories beyond racism. Perhaps a fear of hoodies?
This neighborhood had a big problem with black teens walking through (the "gated community" was not fenced all the way around) and stealing things. If he wasn't suspicious of this kid who was walking around slowly and loitering in the rain, he'd be negligent of his duty.

We know this kid was at minimum a minor trouble-maker, perhaps worse. He was suspended from school and had been sent away by his parents to straighten up.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
He was walking from home to the store. A neighborhood watch person can't demand you do anything.
I did not say he did. In my neighborhood is someone suspicious is walking through the watch people do have some authority to keep the place safe and to ask questions.

Sure we all heard the 9-11 tapes. But what we do not know is what happened before the call.

If the answers were so easy the locals would have not had to get state and federal help on this case.

What we do know is the media hyped this wrongly as a white on black killing and we have found that not to be true.

Until we get all the facts we all need to forget it, but what we need to do is understand the example of this media lie is causing people to be uncomfortable which is wrong.

Fact- the man is not a white man who killed a kid even though the media is billing it as such.
Fact- We still do not know anything the kid was doing or intended to do.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I did not say he did. In my neighborhood is someone suspicious is walking through the watch people do have some authority to keep the place safe and to ask questions.

Sure we all heard the 9-11 tapes. But what we do not know is what happened before the call.

If the answers were so easy the locals would have not had to get state and federal help on this case.

What we do know is the media hyped this wrongly as a white on black killing and we have found that not to be true.

Until we get all the facts we all need to forget it, but what we need to do is understand the example of this media lie is causing people to be uncomfortable which is wrong.

Fact- the man is not a white man who killed a kid even though the media is billing it as such.
Fact- We still do not know anything the kid was doing or intended to do.
All that you find out won't change the basic facts you do know. The 911 tape is clear. He starting going after the kid who had no weapon and ended up killing him.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
We know this kid was at minimum a minor trouble-maker, perhaps worse. He was suspended from school and had been sent away by his parents to straighten up.
He was also an "A" and "B" student in good standing otherwise. Does the fact that he was in trouble somehow make his death acceptable in your twisted sense of reality?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,754 times
Here is what everyone should know about the case:

1. Zimmerman called the police to report Martin’s “suspicious” behavior, which he described as “just walking around looking about.” Zimmerman was in his car when he saw Martin walking on the street. He called the police and said: “There’s a real suspicious guy. This guy looks like he’s up to no good, on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around looking about… These a**holes always get away” [Orlando Sentinel]

2. Zimmerman pursued Martin against the explicit instructions of the police dispatcher:

Dispatcher: “Are you following him?”
Zimmerman: “Yeah”
Dispatcher: “OK, we don’t need you to do that.”

[Orlando Sentinel]

3. Prior to the release of the 911 tapes, Zimmerman’s father released a statement claiming “[a]t no time did George follow or confront Mr. Martin.” [Sun Sentinel]

4. Zimmerman was carrying a a 9 millimeter handgun. Martin was carrying a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea. [ABC News]

5. Martin weighed 140 pounds. Zimmerman weighs 250 pounds. [Orlando Sentinel; WDBO]

6. Martin’s English teacher described him as “as an A and B student who majored in cheerfulness.” [Orlando Sentinel]

7. Martin had no criminal record. [New York Times]

8. Zimmerman “was charged in July 2005 with resisting arrest with violence and battery on an officer. The charges appear to have been dropped.” [Huffington Post]

9. Zimmerman called the police 46 times since Jan. 1, 2011. [Miami Herald]

10. According to neighbors, Zimmerman was “fixated on crime and focused on young, black males.” [Miami Herald]

11. Zimmerman “had been the subject of complaints by neighbors in his gated community for aggressive tactics” [Huffington Post]

12. A police officer “corrected” a key witness. “The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.” [ABC News]

13. Three witnesses say they heard a boy cry for help before a shot was fired. “Three witnesses contacted by The Miami Herald say they saw or heard the moments before and after the Miami Gardens teenager’s killing. All three said they heard the last howl for help from a despondent boy.” [Miami Herald]

14. The officer in charge of the crime scene also received criticism in 2010 when he initially failed to arrest a lieutenant’s son who was videotaped attacking a homeless black man. [New York Times]

15. The police did not test Zimmerman for drugs or alcohol. A law enforcement expert told ABC that Zimmerman sounds intoxicated on the 911 tapes. Drug and alcohol testing is “standard procedure in most homicide investigations.” [ABC News]

Source:TP

Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,187,479 times
It was obvious to me by looking at his picture that at the very least he has Hispanic heritage, his "surname" Zimmerman is German. Regardless of this, he was (in my opinion and from what I heard on the 911 tapes) profiling which is considered racism.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It was obvious to me by looking at his picture that at the very least he has Hispanic heritage, his "surname" Zimmerman is German. Regardless of this, he was (in my opinion and from what I heard on the 911 tapes) profiling which is considered racism.
You're right. His race is only incidental. Whatever his race or background, the tapes and his actions indicate his were racially motivated or biased actions.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,039,593 times
I listened to the 911 tape. The 911 callers only mentioned the yells for help as male, not a boy. One must also consider that if it were Zimmerman calling for help, he would not necessarily need to continue calling for help after he shot the kid, and that could also explain why the calls stopped after the shot. Remember, Zimmerman was suffering some head wounds. I for one am keeping an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida