Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times

Advertisements

Makes me wonder, are black panthers still on the endangered species list in Florida?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
^^ This is what happens when the media cries racism and gets the whole country worked up, Now if Zimmerman DID kill this kid in self defense, he's going to have people trying to kill him !
I don't even buy Zimmerman's story but yeah this is gotten ridiculous. I think Zimmerman made a bad decision in attempting to take matters in his own hands and killed someone as a result.

We don't need no Black panthers or Al Sharpton to get involved. They're only looking out for their own interests and turn this to something much bigger than the case itself.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM

128 posts, read 192,678 times
Florida has long been a stronghold for the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. During the Great Depression klan membership saw a decrease nationally. Florida however remained strong Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, and Tampa had the most powerful klaverns. In 1939 Hiram Evans, former Imperial Wizard, testified before congress that Florida had the strongest realm in the nation. Post WWII the Ku Klux Klan saw a revival intiated by Dr. Samuel Green, an Atlanta doctor, who formed the Association of Georgia Klan. The revival spread to Florida and six other states. On election night 1948 Florida Klan paraded from Lake County to Wildwood to show support for Dixiecrat Presidential Candidate Strom Thurmond. In 1949 Klansmen held a motorcade through Tallahassee. Newly inaugurated governer Fuller Warren, was a former klansman. A bridge was later named in his honor in Jacksonville. Also in 1949 klan power grew quickly particulary in Orange county, ranks included prominent lawmen, businessmen, and elected officials. Apopka and Winter Garden had a high number of membership including the Cheif of Police, Constable, Nightguard, and Justice of the Peace. Seventy-five percent of Apopka’s male population was klan.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

What is a "white Hispanic" ?
Someone with European Origin from an Latin American Country.
My mother was born in Cuba, my grandfather was born in Cuba, my Great Grand Father was born in Spain. I am a white Hispanic. On a census or other applications it ask White, Asian, Black, Pacific Island, Native American etc.. then it will ask Hispanic or not. Why that is important besides for the Census and maybe medical forms I do not know but it is asked.

Here is an interesting video from Florida's own Congresswoman Brown. Very interesting. Fast forward to 5mins if you want to see the good parts. Politicians need to stay out of this. It is crazy the things they and others are doing while an investigation IS STILL GOING ON.
Rep. Brown: Trayvon investigation 'a disaster' – CNN Newsroom - CNN.com Blogs

Jacksonville is in Orange County now?

Last edited by Sunscape; 03-28-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Someone with European Orgin from an Latin American Country.
My mother was born in Cuba, my grandfarther was born in Cuba, my Great Grand Father was born in Spain. I am a white hispanic. On a census or other applications it ask White, Asian, Black, Pacific Island, Native American etc.. then it will ask Hispanic or not. Why that is important besides for the Census and maybe medical forms I do not know but it is asked.

Here is an interesting video from Florida's own Congresswoman Brown. Very interesting. Fast foward to 5mins if you want to see the good parts. Politicians need to stay out of this. It is crazy the things they and others are doing while an investigation IS STILL GOING ON.
Rep. Brown: Trayvon investigation 'a disaster' – CNN Newsroom - CNN.com Blogs

Jacksonville is in Orange County now?
I know the census asks "White, Non-Hispanic, or then it goes on to ask for other races.. I guess my point is this, Looking at him, he's obviously not "white, non-hispanic" so why is the media making this a white on black crime ? Because it gets more viewers and more website hits.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Gee whiz. Golly wow. Don't forget, this is and always will be a southern state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post
Florida has long been a stronghold for the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. During the Great Depression klan membership saw a decrease nationally. Florida however remained strong Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, and Tampa had the most powerful klaverns. In 1939 Hiram Evans, former Imperial Wizard, testified before congress that Florida had the strongest realm in the nation. Post WWII the Ku Klux Klan saw a revival intiated by Dr. Samuel Green, an Atlanta doctor, who formed the Association of Georgia Klan. The revival spread to Florida and six other states. On election night 1948 Florida Klan paraded from Lake County to Wildwood to show support for Dixiecrat Presidential Candidate Strom Thurmond. In 1949 Klansmen held a motorcade through Tallahassee. Newly inaugurated governer Fuller Warren, was a former klansman. A bridge was later named in his honor in Jacksonville. Also in 1949 klan power grew quickly particulary in Orange county, ranks included prominent lawmen, businessmen, and elected officials. Apopka and Winter Garden had a high number of membership including the Cheif of Police, Constable, Nightguard, and Justice of the Peace. Seventy-five percent of Apopka’s male population was klan.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
this is and always will be a southern state.
Just by geography, It is, and always will be, New York, South.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
All my life I remember NYkers planning to retire to Florida. Still happens.

However, if you go to the heartlands of Florida, away from the big cities, it is still very much "the south" in a lot of ways. Some good, some not so good. You won't find too many transplants in places like Waldo, Archer, Bowling Green, just to name a few.

Quote:
Just by geography, It is, and always will be, New York, South.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
All my life I remember NYkers planning to retire to Florida. Still happens.

However, if you go to the heartlands of Florida, away from the big cities, it is still very much "the south" in a lot of ways. Some good, some not so good. You won't find too many transplants in places like Waldo, Archer, Bowling Green, just to name a few.
Agreed, I would say anywhere south of Orlando and away from the US 27 area are pretty safe.. lol

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

128 posts, read 192,678 times
I dont agree there are many place in Florida where rednecks just do not like anyone from the North its not just a black thing .

They do not like jews , spanish people this is most of small town Florida after 10 years in the service and traveling I assumed I would return with a new found respect for the place I used to call home Appoka and it only got worse.

Your answer is like well dont forget Florida is the south hits it right on the head I came home and the same rednecks who disliked me when I first moved there still hated me as I was born in new York , only issue is I was in Florida for 38 years by then.

trust me as much as I would have liked to have gone back and seen that change it did not and Sanford I knew all to well I was told dont go there they dont like Yankees there well how long inbred should I have lived in Florida for you to stop hating me ? I dont see your hillbilly ass in a wheel chair after you served your country **** you cant get them to show up for work.

Trust me the bad blood goes both ways .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida