Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to drink?? or is it just for bathing, washing clothes & stuff like that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 AM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Is it safe to drink?? or is it just for bathing, washing clothes & stuff like that??
Absolutely safe to drink. We put on a water softner along with a Reverse Osmosis system....and use that for drinking. The whole system is about $1500.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:54 AM

That's good to know...

I thought I'd ask cause since I didn't know, I thought one might have to haul in gallons & gallons of water....for drinking purposes.

Thanks for the info

Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
If you are used to wells, it's no big deal to have one. But, if you've never had a well, there are some things you need to know.

A water purification system is necessary - true, they are not all that expensive, but they do require maintenance, and depending on how deep your well is and the quality of the water, the maintenance may be more frequent. You will need to know how to maintain your well yourself.

Also, you cannot just run most wells indefinitely. If you do so, it creats "turbidity", which is when the flow of the water swishes the water arond churing up the silt - which your pump could suck in. If this happens, you will need to clean out your system, as it will seem like your water presure is low.

If you are not chlorinating your water, you need to remember to let the water flow for a little while if you've left your house vacant for more than a few days.

You need to have the water quality periodically tested.

Pumps break and need to be replaced once in a while (but they do last for years). When they do, you need an experienced person to take it out of the ground, rewire a new one, and get it working again. Also wells can go dry, or the water quality could change to where you will need to drill further into the ground.

I'd highly recommend that you get some sort of treatment to get the sulfer out of the water. Sulfer smells like boiled eggs, stinks up your cloths, your house, and I can't stand the taste. I used to have to drink this stuff at a summer camp as a kid. Yes, you get used to it, no it doesn't hurt you.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:16 AM

Prichard, great info...thanks.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
Default Jumping in kind of late, but....

There is oodles of land for sale in Columbia and Suwannee counties in North Florida. The cost of living is not quite as high as it is in South and Central Florida, but a lot of it is undeveloped. Most of the natives are friendly and always willing to help. I moved to this area about 4 years ago, and wonder why I didn't do it years ago.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Angie, and welcome to the forum Suwanee Co. looks like a nice place to live with just the perfect sized small towns. I've seen pics of Live Oak and it looks like a nice town. What is the job situation in that area?

Old 01-20-2007, 06:05 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Default Bonifay Florida

I had a dioceses meeting in Bonifay today and lots of land available, small town, very small, but has a relax atmosphere. If you like to have animals, great place.

The house next to the church had chickens, horses, and cows. They have 4 to 10 acres of land...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Try Pace, Holt, Chipley, Navarre all in Santa Rosa County....
SHHHHHHH wait till after we do what we're doing there will ya please?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
My thoughts on Ridge Manor, cheap right now because of flooding in past, and sink hole insurance is skyrocking. My friends are moving out of area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida