U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,849,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a close friend of mine goes there alot. neither of us is white. in florida they are just plain nasty. they dont discriminate, they are nasty to everybody. racism is blatant and the wasps dont own a monopoly on it.
I'm sorry, Huckleberry, you have had such a bad time of it and your friend as well. Not everyone in Florida is mean and nasty. You all just haven't met the right people.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 887,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I have been called "cracker" several times since moving to fl, once by a 5 year old. Wonder where she learned that?

Guess there are racists everywhere.
FYI the term Cracker is not derogatory or racist...

Florida cracker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia snippet "the term "Florida Cracker" is used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their families have lived in the state for many generations. It is considered a source of pride to be descended from "frontier people"

Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonian5 View Post
ignorance/racism.....is it really a florida thing???
Racism and ignorance is not exclusive to the state of Florida...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM

7,824 posts, read 8,187,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No I do not - but you like to think I do. And you never find anything GOOD about Florida. That is really too bad, and I feel very sorry for you.

By the way, I am reading Dr Dyer's new book "Wishes Fulfilled" - very inspiring!
Please, you were on here saying that NC is too hot, and FL isn't.

I have said several times on this board the FL has the best winters in the nation. But anytime anyone says anything "negative" you jump down their throat.

And once again the eyes of the nation are on FL. Thank God the Feds are stepping in. This incident could end up causing acts of violence, not only in FL but across the nation if isn't addressed.

And left in the hands of FL, it wouldn't be.

People across the nation are wanting to know why no arrest has been made, no drug/alcohol testing done on the shooter(only the dead kid).

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Similar family discussions in the 1950-1960's but, I can honestly say, I never felt they were like "lynching" racist..... I could have cared less. It just wasn't talked about otherwise. Yet we knew and interacted with black people on a regular basis.
In the not too distant past I heard white people in a small Florida "horse town" boast about a lynching, it scare the sh*t out of me, needless to say I left that small scary town quickly You see little did they know, I may "look" white to some/most, but my family is very diverse....I am a mixture of peruvian, inca, african, french, english & irish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I've never met any openly racist people. But there's racist people everywhere and they're always going to be around. Might as well get used to them.

The only form of "racism" I've encountered is my mother telling me she doesn't approve of interracial marriage and my grandpa refusing to talk to my aunt because she dated a black man. But that's it.

Most people here or elsewhere aren't racist though, don't know why the OP makes it sound that way. As for the rest of you posters. I don't where you all live but I've never heard anyone say the "n" word or make blunt negative comments about black people. I have lived all over...
I've also heard the N word (recently) on numerous occasions in my presence (here in Florida & elsewhere)...you see there are people so blinded by their ignorance and racism and so sneaky about it nowadays that they often make the mistake of not realizing to whom they speak...I had to fire a volunteer because he made racist comments about blacks in front of a women who was white as the driven snow, what this racist idiot didn't know...she was married to a black man...this particular incident happen just a couple of years ago...so you see Racism is alive and well in the year 2012

Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM

2,162 posts, read 2,086,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Racism and ignorance is not exclusive to the state of Florida...
I don't think anyone is saying it's exclusive, but it is more there and in the south than most places

Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it's exclusive, but it is more there and in the south than most places
IMO the title & post of the OP "ignorance/racism.....is it really a florida thing???" implies that racism/ignorance is somewhat exclusive here...and I have to disagree that there is more racism here and in the south, I've experienced just as much and sometimes more ignorance/racism up north and out west...

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,473,687 times
I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with. If you're from an area where everything is out on the table, it won't be a surprise. If you come from an area where people are more guarded, you'll be taken aback. Unfortunately ignorance and racism extend to every level of humanity. Such is our predicament.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,024,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
In the not too distant past I heard white people in a small Florida "horse town" boast about a lynching, it scare the sh*t out of me, needless to say I left that small scary town quickly You see little did they know, I may "look" white to some/most, but my family is very diverse....I am a mixture of peruvian, inca, african, french, english & irish...

I've also heard the N word (recently) on numerous occasions in my presence (here in Florida & elsewhere)...you see there are people so blinded by their ignorance and racism and so sneaky about it nowadays that they often make the mistake of not realizing to whom they speak...I had to fire a volunteer because he made racist comments about blacks in front of a women who was white as the driven snow, what this racist idiot didn't know...she was married to a black man...this particular incident happen just a couple of years ago...so you see Racism is alive and well in the year 2012
"I've also heard the N word (recently) on numerous occasions in my presence (here in Florida & elsewhere)..."

Blacks say it more than anyone else, it is standard ghetto talk now days. Yes, words, like gay, can and do change their meaning over time and use.

You can say I am worng all you want, but it does not remove the fact that the "N" word is used frequently by blacks, in songs sang by blacks, and in movies to each other. It is hard to convince anyone that it is offensive when used in every context when it is used so many times, in so many ways. Even "whitey" can be claimed offensive if used in an offensive context.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,961,768 times
Anyone that just brushes off racism in Florida as "It's the same in every state." are delusional.

Granted, while every state does have racist people, There generally seems to be a larger concentration in Florida and in most cases, It's either in the northern part of the state or it's in the middle.

Polk County, Highlands County, Hardee County, Osceola County, Eastern Hillsborough County, and Pasco County are ones I'm most familiar with because I lived there for 18 years and oh yes, There are a LOT of extremely racist people in these areas. I encountered more racism in those counties (especially Polk) than I have in a decade of living in Tennessee, a year of living in Louisiana, and two years of living in Texas. I figured Texas would be the worst but it's actually been right up there as the best out of all three.

To the OP or anyone that's generally interested, There are no facts when it comes to this, and everyone is doing the same thing which is giving their opinions (some based on their experiences, some with rose colored Florida glasses) so take most comments with a grain of salt, but if you stay closer to the coasts, It's a lot better.

If you want to know about Florida, Driving in from Georgia near the welcome center is a bank of Confederate Flags welcoming people into Florida. Then at the junction of I-4 and I-75 outside of Tampa is what I've heard is the worlds largest confederate flag flying high...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida