Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

we did sign a lease but the realtor told us that the landlord is going to do a new lease for us to sign , but she cant get a hold of him and they cash the $1,250.00 that she said will stay in an escrow . an addendum was suppose to be made about the 1/2 month of january for $625.00 since we all agree on the 15 of january for a moving date .Nothing was mentioned about giving all of february`s rent

right now i dont want to deal with them. I should have received another lease i far as i am concerned,i will demand my $1,250.00 back and i dont think that the lease is boundible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neciade View Post
We recently signed a lease/purchase contract for a home in Florida. We gave the Landlord $5000.00 down, nonrefundable, and agreed to pay $1600.00 a month with $300.00 of that to go towards a rental credit. We were told that that money was to go into an escrow account and would be used for the down payment. Unfortunately we both lost our jobs and from the beginning we had trouble making payments. The landlords asked us to move out in Aug. The are now suing us for past rent due. My question is since they did not put that $5000.00 or any of the rent credit into an escrow account did they break the lease and is it legal to make the $5000.00 non refundable? Any advise in this matter would be appreciated - Thanks
You really should speak to an attorney. If you can't afford a private attorney, just about every county in Fla has a legal aid office that charges a token amount for a consultation--maybe $25.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre Lesieur View Post
we did sign a lease but the realtor told us that the landlord is going to do a new lease for us to sign , but she cant get a hold of him and they cash the $1,250.00 that she said will stay in an escrow . an addendum was suppose to be made about the 1/2 month of january for $625.00 since we all agree on the 15 of january for a moving date .Nothing was mentioned about giving all of february`s rent

right now i dont want to deal with them. I should have received another lease i far as i am concerned,i will demand my $1,250.00 back and i dont think that the lease is boundible
If the lease said nothing about paying February rent early and both parties signed the lease I think you are in the right. Both parties need to follow the lease. Not just one. What the lease say about making changes to the lease? They have to be done in writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You really should speak to an attorney. If you can't afford a private attorney, just about every county in Fla has a legal aid office that charges a token amount for a consultation--maybe $25.
It is probably not worth the money and time. No attorney is going to give free advice and not many attorneys are going to take a case worth such little money. If more problems occur about the $1,250.00 you go to small claims court. As for legal services someone paying $1,250.00 in rent would likely not qualify to get representation from legal services.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Call the Real Estate office and ask for the Broker -- ask for HELP.

If you signed a lease and the owner signed as well -- its legal. Explain that under the circumstances that you were not told about the additional money owned and would like out so you can find another home.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 709 times
I can suggest you olenderlegal, which can provide you the best of court reporting services in Florida and around the world.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboysegirl View Post
my husband and i were going to rent a house from couple from the date that we gave the deposit it held the house for a little over a month we then decided that we did not want to move into the home and the couple kept my deposit. they said that because they held it so long and thought we would move in they should keep it. we never signed a lease on did a credit application. she wrote on the application that the deposit was refundable. she said her attorney told her that she can keep it. due to her not returning my money i was not able to pay the rent where i currently live i was short the amount that she with held. i am now being evicted because she kept my money can i sue her and for what?

No, what was your agreement? Was it in writing? Never give money to someone without a written agreement.

Did you get a receipt? Does it have deposit or something as a note on it?

How did you pay her? Cash?

Why did it take you a month to decide?

You made her hold the home and decided not to take it which puts her out also.

It would cost you 100s to sue her unless you go to small claims.

If you dont have the money to pay your current rent you surely cannot hire an attorney.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
The new norm is first, last and a security deposit anymore.

Be prepared for this when renting.

Not all are doing it but most states are already doing this and some in Florida have begun.

Before you sign a contact also make sure you understand the laws in Florida on rentals.
Most states give you 30 days to move out if the house sells etc. Here it is only 15 days notice and you have to be moved out.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Legal View Post
I can suggest you olenderlegal, which can provide you the best of court reporting services in Florida and around the world.
Seriously dude. You're gonna spam this with something she doesn't even need. I always feel bad for companies that need to do this. They must not being doing well.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

Before you sign a contact also make sure you understand the laws in Florida on rentals.
Most states give you 30 days to move out if the house sells etc. Here it is only 15 days notice and you have to be moved out.

IF you have a LEASE --nobody can move you out just because they sell the house. The LEASE stays till the end of the term. The ownership of the house will transfer to the new owner and so will the lease.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LEASE and are on month to month-- they can give you 15 days to move out.

THAT is the Landlord Tenant Law

Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
[/b]

IF you have a LEASE --nobody can move you out just because they sell the house. The LEASE stays till the end of the term. The ownership of the house will transfer to the new owner and so will the lease.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LEASE and are on month to month-- they can give you 15 days to move out.

THAT is the Landlord Tenant Law
This is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida