Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 17,922 times

Advertisements

We recently signed a lease/purchase contract for a home in Florida. We gave the Landlord $5000.00 down, nonrefundable, and agreed to pay $1600.00 a month with $300.00 of that to go towards a rental credit. We were told that that money was to go into an escrow account and would be used for the down payment. Unfortunately we both lost our jobs and from the beginning we had trouble making payments. The landlords asked us to move out in Aug. The are now suing us for past rent due. My question is since they did not put that $5000.00 or any of the rent credit into an escrow account did they break the lease and is it legal to make the $5000.00 non refundable? Any advise in this matter would be appreciated - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neciade View Post
We recently signed a lease/purchase contract for a home in Florida. We gave the Landlord $5000.00 down, nonrefundable, and agreed to pay $1600.00 a month with $300.00 of that to go towards a rental credit. We were told that that money was to go into an escrow account and would be used for the down payment. Unfortunately we both lost our jobs and from the beginning we had trouble making payments. The landlords asked us to move out in Aug. The are now suing us for past rent due. My question is since they did not put that $5000.00 or any of the rent credit into an escrow account did they break the lease and is it legal to make the $5000.00 non refundable? Any advise in this matter would be appreciated - Thanks
You should get a lawyer.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neciade View Post
If the lease to own terms are not specifically laid out in a written contract, then you won't be able to hold them to the agreement. If you owe them back rent then it would be even more difficult for you to challenge them in court for the money. Lease to own deals are rarely good ideas. As for making the $5000 non-refundable, yes it is legal. You agreed to those terms up front and now that things haven't worked out for you, you are questioning the legality?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 17,922 times
I am only questioning the legality bc of some advice that a friend gave me. My big question was if they did not put the money in an escrow account did they break the contract?

Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Take the contract to an attorney to look over and give advice. The couple hundred bucks you spend might save thousands.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,866 times
I am signing a lease and the landlord wants a 10% late fee if rent is 5 days late. Is that normal?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godallmytea View Post
I am signing a lease and the landlord wants a 10% late fee if rent is 5 days late. Is that normal?

Late fees are normal. They vary lease by lease. That seems high in my opinion, but that's your decision as to sign it or not. Ask that it be reduced to a specific amount. All he can say is NO or change it.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,165 times
my husband and i were going to rent a house from couple from the date that we gave the deposit it held the house for a little over a month we then decided that we did not want to move into the home and the couple kept my deposit. they said that because they held it so long and thought we would move in they should keep it. we never signed a lease on did a credit application. she wrote on the application that the deposit was refundable. she said her attorney told her that she can keep it. due to her not returning my money i was not able to pay the rent where i currently live i was short the amount that she with held. i am now being evicted because she kept my money can i sue her and for what?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
Thoughts are you did an application, you gave her money to hold the house till you moved in. Basically a security deposit. She kept the house off the market for a month for you.

I know that if I have a security deposit, and a signed lease, and people change their mind later the deposit is kept. The house could have been rented to someone else.

The fact that you didn't pay your existing rent has nothing to do with that.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 11,443 times
In the last couple of states that I've lived in, a landlord could not charge more than 1 moths rent as a security deposit. Is it the same in Florida? I am looking at a house at which they are asking for first and last months rent PLUS deposit. That's not legal here, is it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida