U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: St Pete, FL
119 posts, read 140,097 times
Reputation: 121

Advertisements

How or when do I become a Florida resident after I move there? Is it a certain amt of time I hafta live there? When I wa in SC, it was 6mos. Thanks for the info!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,255 posts, read 3,269,571 times
Reputation: 2611
In what context? I know you have to be living here for 6 months before you can get a resident fishing license but a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach Fl
160 posts, read 188,010 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
In what context? I know you have to be living here for 6 months before you can get a resident fishing license but a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.
Does anyone know the logic behind this? I never understood why I can register my car but I can't fish for 6 months! LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,255 posts, read 3,269,571 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
Does anyone know the logic behind this? I never understood why I can register my car but I can't fish for 6 months! LOL
You can get a fishing license before six months but I guess it costs you more for the priviledge! OTOH, it's not that you can register your car...it's you must register it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
 
4,910 posts, read 4,484,846 times
Reputation: 1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You can get a fishing license before six months but I guess it costs you more for the priviledge! OTOH, it's not that you can register your car...it's you must register it.
Nearly every state has some form of that law on the books, but it's tricky to enforce, especially in larger cities in FL with lots of out-of-state travelers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 5,185,042 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
Does anyone know the logic behind this? I never understood why I can register my car but I can't fish for 6 months! LOL
The minute you get a Florida drivers license, you can get a fishing license, That doesn't sound right at all !
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 5,185,042 times
Reputation: 1960
Oh, and if you're not in a huge hurry and don't want to come off the money to get your $60 license and your $500 tags for your car, put it off. In my many travels between states, I drove in Florida on Tennessee tags and license for over a year. If you get pulled over "I'm sorry, I'm here on vacation."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,255 posts, read 3,269,571 times
Reputation: 2611
My daughter moved to ATL and followed the law (we are that kind of family) by registering her car. They have to pay tax each year on their cars. Her girlfriends from FL didn't bother and they don't have to pay. It's annoying, it's unfair, but it's the right thing to do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 5,185,042 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
My daughter moved to ATL and followed the law (we are that kind of family) by registering her car. They have to pay tax each year on their cars. Her girlfriends from FL didn't bother and they don't have to pay. It's annoying, it's unfair, but it's the right thing to do.


Whatever floats your boat.

I refused to pay the State of Florida $500 for the honor of toting "www.myflorida.com" on the back of my car...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Status: "Really dislike winter..." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,538 posts, read 5,722,618 times
Reputation: 1598
When I first came to FL in 94 I got my license within a month, but drove on my MA plates for 6 or 7 months.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top