U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,723 posts, read 12,399,712 times
Reputation: 2029

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
LOl thats fine cause while you've had your a/c on this entire summer. I have yet to turn mine on.. Heat wave, what heat wave?..While you're sweating on Christmas morn, I'll be loving my white christmas... While you're getting your pumpkin at Publix I'll be on a real farm choosing mine, and oh that goes for my Christmas tree too!!>. Oh did I mention the leaves are looking soooo purty right now.. getting those pretty reds and yellows.. How are those palm trees coming along, blooming those pretty yellow bee attracting blooms yet? I'm wearing a comfy sweater right now..mmmmmm soo cozy!! LOL I am a very satisfied Northerner... Just the type you floridians like.. I don't blame you though I was once you.. But then the my nightmare ended!!!!
Right on! Born & raised in Michigan; lived in NYC & West by God Virginia before moving to Florida in 1991. It was so freaking hot in the summer in Morgantown that we decided if we might as well be sweating under a palm tree instead of next to a mountain and very tired of the car doors frozen shut during the winter......so I do know my seasons, too!

Being that I'm not home all day, my air's off. Not a big deal, shade trees work wonders along with good insulation.

I do miss snow on Christmas Day and there's nothing stranger than hanging lights during the the holidays without snow, but, we have developed plam tree lighting to an art!

I was just looking at sweaters the other day and then bought a bathing suit instead.:eek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 688,060 times
Reputation: 63
Unhappy I'm Jealous too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Stop it Taratomsgirl...YOU ARE MAKING ME SOOO JEALOUS
Oh well... thank goodness I got the LLBean Christmas Catalog yesterday, I guess it will just have to do.
My daughter went to college for two years in Portland, ME. She played on the women's ice hockey team and we would drive up for the weekend from NY to watch her games. I loved taking a side trip to Freeport to shop at LL Bean and all the other little shops around there. It was really beautiful in Fall and Winter.

I really, really miss that, especially being here in "paradise". Maybe I shouldn't say this, but as the old saying goes, "One man's paradise is another man's hell." Finding out that is a true, very true statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
 
199 posts, read 167,936 times
Reputation: 64
Hmmm, we have never "sweated on Christmas day" in 20 years of living in Florida. The temp. is usually between 65-75 on Christmas. Just perfect in our opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
 
199 posts, read 167,936 times
Reputation: 64
Wow, why so many angry northerners on this Florida forum? Sounds like yall should just get on up north and enjoy yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 688,060 times
Reputation: 63
Default Sad, not angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
Wow, why so many angry northerners on this Florida forum? Sounds like yall should just get on up north and enjoy yourselves.
This has made me think about my travels when my kids were in school. They both played sports (soccer and ice hockey) and we traveled all around the NE and New England.

Drivng though the Pocono Mts. in October with the sun catching the reds and golds of the forests. The smells of logs burning in the distance while drinking hot cocoa cheering them on at the soccer tournament.

Taking Amtrak to upstate NY for a tournament in both fall and winter following the Hudson River past West Point. I never knew how beautiful, and different, it could be only about 20 miles past NYC.

One year she played on a Connecticut team. We drove all around there and up into Ma. every weekend too. The season started just about the time the foliage began to turn. When winter came and the trees were dusted with snow, it was beautiful also.

Tournaments in Lake George, Boston, Andover, Burlington, etc., we drove everywhere.

Hopefully, someday I can go to all these places again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
 
15,129 posts, read 31,038,048 times
Reputation: 18248
I don't think I could take the longer, colder winters of the northeast, but I love the fall/winter season of our mountain (second) home in Asheville, NC. Nothing more beautiful than those multicolored leaves coming down the mountains in late September - November. And I love it when on Halloween the nighttime temps are a crisp 32 degrees or so, just enough to put on a light jacket and enjoy the wonderful smells in the air. The winters are fairly short, and an occasional light dusting of snow occurs now and then, just enough to make the town look like a Norman Rockwell painting.

Ahhh, but then I love it here in central Fla., too - you just can't beat the weather from Dec. - April - the most gorgeous sunsets in the country, and lots of beautiful sunshine. Day after day of perfect weather in the 70s, with nights just cool enough for a good nights sleep. We even have some of the trees turning colors! I guess I just like having it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,878,106 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Stop it Taratomsgirl...YOU ARE MAKING ME SOOO JEALOUS
Oh well... thank goodness I got the LLBean Christmas Catalog yesterday, I guess it will just have to do.
Ugh I'm jealous!! I still haven't gotten mine and its like 5 hours away from me! I'm living off my fall one! Whats up with that.. Now I'm really gonna be waiting for our mail man.. We have the ones that still walk to the houses so perhaps he's still walking lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,418,380 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
Wow, why so many angry northerners on this Florida forum? Sounds like yall should just get on up north and enjoy yourselves.
Many are down here due to circumstances, not choice. I don't consider one not liking the weather to be an "angry" person. Just a person whose is ok admitting to the fact that the weather has a lot to be desired; in particular June - Oct. There is a reason the snowbirders don't live here during the summer. I don't know why anyone would want to move to SW FL, but I am sure there are nicer areas of FL. Weather is subjective to personal taste & likes/dislikes. This is the only state I've ever lived in where people think your are insane if you don't like hot & humid weather. Oh well. Florida is an "interesting" place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,878,106 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
This has made me think about my travels when my kids were in school. They both played sports (soccer and ice hockey) and we traveled all around the NE and New England.

Drivng though the Pocono Mts. in October with the sun catching the reds and golds of the forests. The smells of logs burning in the distance while drinking hot cocoa cheering them on at the soccer tournament.

Taking Amtrak to upstate NY for a tournament in both fall and winter following the Hudson River past West Point. I never knew how beautiful, and different, it could be only about 20 miles past NYC.

One year she played on a Connecticut team. We drove all around there and up into Ma. every weekend too. The season started just about the time the foliage began to turn. When winter came and the trees were dusted with snow, it was beautiful also.

Tournaments in Lake George, Boston, Andover, Burlington, etc., we drove everywhere.

Hopefully, someday I can go to all these places again.
I love driving around New England!! You can go to town after town and they have museums, lots of them the working museums where they dress up like the old times... We're gonna be heading over to Vermot in a couple to some maple syrup farms, you know just to go. And then there's a farm right up the road thats full of pumpkins , they're gonna have pony rides and sell homemade candy corn and scarecrow contests. That'll be fun in just about a month...
The great thing is I'm positioned perfectly in NH . I'm 15 mins from Vermont to my west and 15 mins from Mass to my south... In 2 hours I can be in Portsmouth which is beautiful!!! When I lived in Fla 2 hours got me to Miami.. aka Satans butthole to put it lightly or Tampa. whoopteee doooo tourist mecca.. I can be in Toronto in 4 hours or upstate ny in 1.. Thats what I love.. I can be in 3 or 4 states durning the day and still make it home for dinner! BTW to whoever lived in Nashua.. yuck. i hate that city.. it doesn't feel like NH whenyou come to NH you don't come to live in a city.. You come to live in a smaller town. my husband said he went somewhere the other day while patroling and the trees on that block are almost fully changed.. easily shocked I guess. But I think we've had the last of any warm weather the next 2 weeks are going to be in the 60's with nights in the 30's so I think they're gonna really start changing color now!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,770,272 times
Reputation: 2906
I am truely jealous, I am craving some sort of cool air, but I know that will not come till early November. You hit the nail on the head, we really can't celebrate the Fall and Winter holidays like they should be celebrated because of our weather. The wreaths I order from up north dry out so fast down here because its so hot. Christmas last year it was in the low 80's, that isn't Christmas. Christmas is suppose to be cold or at least cool outside. And in Summer we can't celebrate The Fourth of July like people do up north, because it is just way to hot and the bugs. We take a vacation usually in November to some place cooler to put us in the holiday spirit.

And Tallricks, I have said this before yes northeners may have a few months were they stay indoors, but we in Florida have 6-7 months depending on what part of the state of Florida you live, running from A/C to A/C. My windows in my house haven't been opened since probably late april early May, when it just started to get to hot. And I probably will not be able to open them till November for a few days only (January will probably be the first time I will open them up for a while), while a cold front is here for a couple of days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
LOl thats fine cause while you've had your a/c on this entire summer. I have yet to turn mine on.. Heat wave, what heat wave?..While you're sweating on Christmas morn, I'll be loving my white christmas... While you're getting your pumpkin at Publix I'll be on a real farm choosing mine, and oh that goes for my Christmas tree too!!>. Oh did I mention the leaves are looking soooo purty right now.. getting those pretty reds and yellows.. How are those palm trees coming along, blooming those pretty yellow bee attracting blooms yet? I'm wearing a comfy sweater right now..mmmmmm soo cozy!! LOL I am a very satisfied Northerner... Just the type you floridians like.. I don't blame you though I was once you.. But then the my nightmare ended!!!!

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-12-2007 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top