U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-16-2006, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 26,579 times
Default Winter Haven

We are looking into relocating to Fla.
Does anyone have some info. on Winter Haven or the Polk County area.

I've read some high crime statistics and I noticed property is reasonable.
Are property values low because it's a bad area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-17-2006, 04:55 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,254,332 times
I really don't know a lot about Winter Haven except that we enjoy going over there to do shopping. The drive through the Cypress Gardens area into Winter Haven is very pretty. We do seem to have more reasonable property taxes in Polk county than other areas of the state (from what I've read on this forum.) Can you give a little more information? Do you have kids? Will you be looking for a job? Check out The Ledger website and The News Chief website. Local newspapers.
I've read many negative posts about Florida. All I can say is, yes, Florida has some problems right now. Let's hope everyone that's complaining gets involved in the next election and votes the right people into office so we can fix those problems. This is an awesome state--great weather, lots to do and lots to explore. And I like living in central Florida because it's an easy drive to everything around us. Either coast--an hour and a half. Orlando attractions--an hour. Fishing--we have some of the best right here, but it's just a short drive to many other lakes in the state.
We need good people who are going to help us make this a great state. Come on down!

Unread 09-17-2006, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 26,579 times
I don't have any children so school is not an issue.
I'm an automotive technichian and I have heard there is high demand for that.

I don't think finding work will be a problem, I'm more concerned about finding a decent neighborhood to live in.

Unread 09-17-2006, 12:49 PM

13,496 posts, read 23,406,263 times
Quote:
I've read many negative posts about Florida. All I can say is, yes, Florida has some problems right now. Let's hope everyone that's complaining gets involved in the next election and votes the right people into office so we can fix those problems.

Don't Vote. You'll just encourage them.

Unread 12-19-2006, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,552 times
I have lived in Winter Haven for 10 years, and can tell you it's a nice place. There are a few areas of town that aren't places I would want to live, and thats where the crime statistics are coming from- but these areas don't really affect the rest of town (at least, thats been my experience). If you are definitely planning to move here and have any specific questions, feel free to email me at rrich76@hotmail.com.

Unread 11-13-2010, 05:38 AM

43 posts, read 89,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich76 View Post
I have lived in Winter Haven for 10 years, and can tell you it's a nice place. There are a few areas of town that aren't places I would want to live, and thats where the crime statistics are coming from- but these areas don't really affect the rest of town (at least, thats been my experience). If you are definitely planning to move here and have any specific questions, feel free to email me at rrich76@hotmail.com.
Hi I will be working in the Lakeland area and saw that the commute to/from Winter Haven was really good. I saw some apartments and the rent seems reasonable. What can you tell me about the Winter Haven area? I'm 23 yrs old, married and will be starting my family in about 3 yrs from now. What areas should I avoid? How expensive are utilities (electric, water, cable, internet)? Is it easy to get to/from Orlando and Tampa?

Thanks!

Unread 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
Does anyone know anything about Imperial Harbours in Winter Haven ?

Unread 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

336 posts, read 410,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Baggett View Post
Does anyone know anything about Imperial Harbours in Winter Haven ?
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Haven-FL.html

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:15 AM

50 posts, read 32,947 times
I live about 20 miles from Winter Haven, FL. Winter Haven is a nice place to live.

Unread 11-10-2011, 12:14 AM

69 posts, read 120,889 times
I moved to Winter Haven from MA for 2.5 years and RAN out of there! Where are you moving from? It makes a difference! My friend has lived there for 40 years (born there) and she LOVES it! I even built a gorgeous home near Cypress Springs and lived in a wonderful area, but again, like everywhere in FL, if you look right or left, you find yourself in a whole new area, and not a good one! Winter Haven is close to NOTHING! I4 to exit 55 and then 20 miles on rt 27 with non stop lights and traffic. I hope you never want to leave the town becasue it takes you forever to go anywhere! Forget about a jont to Orlando! You d have the new LEGOLAND and Walmart! and there is alway the 30 inute drive to Davenport to shop at 5 stores or Lakeland on the Polk Parkway or toll heaven! The housing prices are low for a reason, consider that and the schools are HELL...gangs and a string of horrible under educated teachers (not all,but most) Please reconsider......or at least compare where you live now (is it a small, hick town in the woods where everything moves slower than dirt and your comb has more teeth than the local residents?) then you'll be happy in WH...otherwise...look OUTSIDE POLK COUNTY!
Just my opinion, from a northerner who fel into culture shock in Polk County. Again, an opinion

Excuse the spelling ..I was typing quickly! oops!

Last edited by LMMEGNA; 11-10-2011 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida