U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,413,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyana01 View Post
I, too am moving to Florida without a job - actually that is not entirely true. I got an offer I just can't refuse - it's tennis related for my 3 kids. But we will still need housing and food. My husband will stay in california and continue to work while we get settled in Fl. I currently have a hospital job (work about 2-3 days a week) and make about $54,000 a year. So it is a bit hard to give this up, but the tennis is huge in Florida and just isn't where we are.

Splitting the family like this is not good, but it may be that we just hate Florida and we could then easily go back to Cali. Or Florida could be a good fit for us and the hubs could join us later (although he would have to take the Florida bar exam) - which costs about $3000.

It is a big decision. The cons that come to mind are weather, hurricanes, humidity, heat, mold, mildew, religious zealots, and bugs. The tennis will be great.
What kind of work do you do that pays $54K for 2-3 days a week?

Tennis-I am guessing you are moving to Boca? Did you get a job offer or did your kids get accepted into a tennis academy?

Did you have a specific question about Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyana01 View Post

It is a big decision. The cons that come to mind are weather, hurricanes, humidity, heat, mold, mildew, religious zealots, and bugs. .
Up side will be beaches, also once you take weather, hurricanes, humidity, heat, mold, mildew, religious zealots, bugs and a few other minor inconveniences you'll find out about out of the equation its paradise..

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM

9,256 posts, read 8,331,147 times
I don't mean to sound mean, and please forgive if this comes across as rude, but why on earth would you split up your family so your kids can play tennis?

What kind of message does that send to your kids?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM

15,214 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't mean to sound mean, and please forgive if this comes across as rude, but why on earth would you split up your family so your kids can play tennis?

What kind of message does that send to your kids?
I was thinking of asking the same thing? Somehow, it doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,269,233 times
Your posts always refer to beaches in FL. Do you realize that there are 1,197 miles of coast line here, 663 miles of beaches and an area of 58,560. The total water area is 4,308 Square Miles. That leaves a whole lot of area not covered by a beach.

There are many parts of FL that are no where near a beach. Yep, we get hurricanes, last big ones were in 2004. The humidity is tropical as one would expect in the South East U.S. Mold, mildew, religious zealots and bugs can be found in any state in the union and I would assume in Canada as well.

The Southeast U.S. is what it always has been. However, FL is a magnet for tourists and transplants.
Always has been, always will be.

Life here, in my opinion, beats the rest of the country hands down. Just expect to make changes in yourself, not to the place itself.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Up side will be beaches, also once you take weather, hurricanes, humidity, heat, mold, mildew, religious zealots, bugs and a few other minor inconveniences you'll find out about out of the equation its paradise..

Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,000,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
My guess is that she works as some type of nurse. A nurse with 15 years of experience can easily pull that kind of income on a part-time basis in many parts of the country, especially if she takes advantage of 12-hour days and/or shift differentials. However, it'll probably be tougher to replicate that salary in FL on a part-time basis.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,141,554 times
We should be able to intercept anyone coming here with no job, beat them, then send them back to where they are from.

Florida: closed

Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayi la kuki View Post
i would love to relocate to florida with my kids. i dont have a job at the moment and nyc is just to expensive right now. is florida job rate gone up? how is the school system? is hallandale, florida safe. i just need advise< more [positive than negative please. ps. will be moving in july 2012. thank you in advance.
I myself a single mother of 2 boys moving to panam a city next month april..from charlotte nc

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM

15,833 posts, read 8,837,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebreaker33 View Post
I myself a single mother of 2 boys moving to panam a city next month april..from charlotte nc
Do you have a job waiting?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM

490 posts, read 898,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

Tennis-I am guessing you are moving to Boca? Did you get a job offer or did your kids get accepted into a tennis academy?

Did you have a specific question about Florida?
She's most likely an educated, licensed professional if she works part-time at a hospital and makes $54k. I know that those types of positions are virtually unheard of in Florida...

You were probably under the impression that she was a CNA, housekeeper, unit secretary, worked in medical records, or was a cafeteria worker. Since those are the types of positions most people who move to FL are qualified to work.

My Mom is an educated, licensed, and certified professional who works in healthcare. She makes $45K at her part-time hospital job. She works about 3 days a week at one hospital. I'm not sure what she makes annually at her per diem position, which usually requires her to work an additional 1-2 days a week every other week. However, my Mom does not live in FL.

Don't forget that the OP is from California, so she's probably an educated professional. Also, keep in mind that salaries are higher in CA, NY, RI, et al. than in FL.

Please, reyana01, move to FL. We need more people like you down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or