Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:52 AM

45 posts, read 87,854 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to research different areas in Florida to see which area would be the best for me to relocate to. I am not going to move for at least a year still but I want to start researching now.

I am 20 years old and working on finishing my degree in Michigan (junior year communications major.) My girlfriend is also going to school here and she is going to become an RN. We have a strong interest in starting our life together in Florida because we both love the ocean, water activities such as boating and kayaking, and also warm weather. So here is our goal in finding the right place to live. We both want to live in one of the coastal cities in the state instead of living inland. When my girlfriend graduates, she will obviously need to find a full-time position as an RN. (We have already done research on job opportunities in this area and have found many open positions that she will qualify for when she graduates.) I need to be able to find something in public relations or marketing. My ultimate goal is to work in a PR or marketing career for a couple of years and then start my own real estate investment business. My family has been involved in investment property for many years and I want to do the same thing but take it to a new level that nobody in my family has ever done yet.

After saying all of that, we are both trying to figure out areas of the state that would offer the most opportunities for us. We have looked some at the Tampa/St. Pete area, Bradenton/Sarasota, and Ft Myers, Cape Coral area. We have really only looked at these areas on the gulf because we really don’t know where else to think about or research.

Once again we are looking for an area that has/is:
-On the coast
-would have opportunities for RN’s and public relations/marketing
-has a strong and or promising apartment rental market for investing purposes

Thank you so much in advance and if you would like any more information from me just ask. We are open to all suggestions on either Atlantic or gulf coast.
Thanks for reading and have a great day everyone!

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Cleaned it up so it was easier to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Check out the East Coast of Florida as well. Especially S FL which is really Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami and all areas near there. Also check out the Jacksonville area.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would recommend the St Petersburg-Clearwater area which would offer everything you're looking for career-wise, has the coastal vibe you're looking for with beautiful mostly unspoiled/non-over commercialized beaches and affordably priced real estate for investment purposes, as well as for yourself.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:07 PM

45 posts, read 87,854 times
Thanks to you both for your answers. I am still trying to figure out which would be better for us between either Tampa/St.Pete area, southwest FL such as Cape Coral area, or the greater Miami area. I think I can see the benefits of each one with Miami offering more career options and activities because of the size, Cape Coral because of the many many canals that are through the city which is a huge plus for me, and then the big city feel but more peaceful, inexpensive ways of St. Pete/Tampa.

This might be a stupid question but bear with me (I have very little knowledge about the water and boating in Florida.) Are there any differences in boating/water activities on the gulf compared to the Atlantic? Is there such a thing as a better side for beginner boaters?

Also like I said in my first post, real estate investment opportunities (apartment buildings) is one of the most important points for me. Out of the the three areas I mentioned, (St. Pete/Tampa area, Cape Coral area, and greater Miami area) which would have lower real estate prices with a strong rental market?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
Check out the Port St Lucie/Stuart treasure coast area... many RN jobs, not sure about the PR though... great Real Estate Market, right on the coast and the Indian River for boating

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfman530 View Post
Thanks to you both for your answers. I am still trying to figure out which would be better for us between either Tampa/St.Pete area, southwest FL such as Cape Coral area, or the greater Miami area. I think I can see the benefits of each one with Miami offering more career options and activities because of the size, Cape Coral because of the many many canals that are through the city which is a huge plus for me, and then the big city feel but more peaceful, inexpensive ways of St. Pete/Tampa.

This might be a stupid question but bear with me (I have very little knowledge about the water and boating in Florida.) Are there any differences in boating/water activities on the gulf compared to the Atlantic? Is there such a thing as a better side for beginner boaters?

Also like I said in my first post, real estate investment opportunities (apartment buildings) is one of the most important points for me. Out of the the three areas I mentioned, (St. Pete/Tampa area, Cape Coral area, and greater Miami area) which would have lower real estate prices with a strong rental market?

Thanks again for your help!
Cape Coral has one of the most depressed housing markets in the country and would not recommend it for investment opportunity. In terms of boating the Gulf waters are typically less turbulent than the Atlantic which in my mind would be better for a beginner. I really think downtown St Pete in particular shows great promise for real estate investment and would point you there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida