U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM

125 posts, read 509,998 times
Smile what can you tell me about Florida seasons?

Hi all,

I recently moved here from Ohio and am loving the hot weather. My question is how do the seasons go down here and what type of weather does each season have? I've heard that right now is the "rainy" season. What else can you tell me?

In Ohio, summer was pretty much June, July and August with temps in the 80's. Sept, Oct brought fall with 60's and 70's and lots of autumn color. November through March pretty much was winter, with little sun and cold. April and May were the cooler, rainy months.

What do the months bring here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 12,775 times
There are 2 seasons. Hot, and OH MY GOD IT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,768,678 times
nov-march = cool, refreshing temps.
april = still nice, but warming up
may-sept = hot, hot, hot.
oct= starting to cool down again.

no change of seasons though here in fla. MAYBE if you lived in northern fla you would see a change.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 PM

13 posts, read 41,581 times
If you love the hot weather, you're in the right place. If you love fall leaves, you're not. The number one thing I disliked about Florida was the lack of seasons. I personally felt that it was the same there all the time, just sometimes more rainy than others. I truly could see very little difference between January and August, except for lower temps and humidity. I thought everything looked the same pretty much all year round. I lived there for 2 years (Space Coast area), so maybe after longer you just get used to it. The dry season is during the winter (usually about Jan - March, I think). The wet season is the summer (June - Sept). If you've been there through the summer, you've already seen the worst temperatures, but it doesn't start to cool off (for an Ohio-er) until November. We went to the beach on Thanksgiving and it was warm enough to swim! The heaviest jacket I ever wore was a Polar fleece jacket that would have been appropriate in northeast Ohio in the early October timeframe. No jackets needed by April (early April). Hope that helps. I know I sound negative, and I am - I hated Florida, but everyone likes different things!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 12,775 times
You hit the nail right on the head....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
If you love the hot weather, you're in the right place. If you love fall leaves, you're not. The number one thing I disliked about Florida was the lack of seasons. I personally felt that it was the same there all the time, just sometimes more rainy than others. I truly could see very little difference between January and August, except for lower temps and humidity. I thought everything looked the same pretty much all year round. I lived there for 2 years (Space Coast area), so maybe after longer you just get used to it. The dry season is during the winter (usually about Jan - March, I think). The wet season is the summer (June - Sept). If you've been there through the summer, you've already seen the worst temperatures, but it doesn't start to cool off (for an Ohio-er) until November. We went to the beach on Thanksgiving and it was warm enough to swim! The heaviest jacket I ever wore was a Polar fleece jacket that would have been appropriate in northeast Ohio in the early October timeframe. No jackets needed by April (early April). Hope that helps. I know I sound negative, and I am - I hated Florida, but everyone likes different things!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM

965 posts, read 1,849,884 times
I understand why you like it hot coming from OHIO,I went to Cedar Point once in early June and it was 47 degrees at night so I could just imagine REAL winter temperatures.I love the weather down here from mid October through mid May,but the rest of the year I'd do whatever it takes to get out even for 2 weeks to some cooler weather.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 PM

219 posts, read 574,576 times
warm, warmer, hot, and OMG!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM

8,364 posts, read 16,056,277 times
One week of great weather, three months of OK weather and 9 months of hot, hotter and sauna!!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 AM

1,682 posts, read 5,805,499 times
You know what summer in Florida is like....hot, humid and rainy. The good thing is that the rains do give us a little break from the heat. Where I grew up in SC....it gets hot and stays hot...very little rain to cool things off.

Summer usually lasts until October. Sometime around mid to late October, we will have a couple of days of cool weather, but it doesn't last. Oct-Dec. cool fronts will start down from the north, but most of the time they stall out before getting to Orlando and points south. The occasional one will make it through and give us a day or two of really cool weather. Then it's back to the 80's. Most years I put up Christmas decorations in shorts and a tank top.

If we're going to have cold weather it will most likely be Jan-March. That's also when the leaves fall. Even then it's not usually really cold, just cool for a couple of days and then highs in the 70's - low 80's again here in Orlando. April-May are mild and beautiful.

Remember that Florida is a big state and the weather will be completely different in the Panhandle than it is in Miami.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 AM

495 posts, read 1,505,676 times
North Florida has cold winters sometimes. Not cold by up north standards but cold enough where you will need a light jacket in the afternoon on really cold days some and more layers at nite.

Sometimes the first freeze doesnt come until after Christmas and other times you can get it around Thanksgiving.

Usually the cold weather will last for 2 days at most then it warms up until the next cold front comes through.

Usually it is sunny when it is cold. Wet raw days with no sun are rare.

We do get some fall color but it is spotty. And individual trees will have gorgeous colors but most dont so it is not like the countryside gets fall colors. Most of the hardwoods will drop their leaves and after several freezes the grass will be brown in mid winter.

What I like most about the winter is having a fire in the wood stove. I have central heat of course but the fire in the stove is such an accent when the weather is cold.

So far it is still in the 70s at nite and high temps are around 90 or higher so the cooler weather is not here yet by a long shot.

The first nites are in the mid 60s will feel great, and we will have some lower 50s by halloween for sure.

Flannel shirt weather is only a month away!

I will fire up the stove as soon as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida