Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times

Advertisements

Which would be better for a single 30 y/o woman, no kids either? Jobs, cost of living, etc. I have no college degree, but do want to go to school part time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
That's a tough call. Orlando is probably a little more conservative than Ft. Lauderdale. It is also probably a little more family oriented, but it also has a lot of young professionals.

I'd say that if you are looking more for a "party scene", are into modeling, the beach or that type of lifestyle, then Ft. Lauderdale. Ft. Lauderdale would be more like California; Orlando more like the midwest, as far as lifestyle goes. That may be a bit extreme, but that's just the easiest way I could put it.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Without a college degree, how difficult would it be to "survive". I just happen to be lucky to have a good job here. Sadly, I just don't want CT anymore.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Quote:
Without a college degree, how difficult would it be to "survive".
Surviving isn't impossible in Florida without a college degree - many people who haven't gone to college survive in Florida.

However, thriving in Florida without a college degree is very difficult. If you want to be able to buy a house and afford some of the nicer things, then you will need a college degree to get a decent paying job.

There are some exceptions, however, but these success stories tend to have a common thread to them. I know an auto mechanic who makes over $100K/year. However, this guy is smarter and more ambitious than 95% of the people I know who went to college. He's also an extremely talented musician. He is just one of those guys who has what it takes to be successful no matter what he does. I know another guy who didn't graduate from college, was a marine I believe, who became a high level corporate executive. Again, this person was quite intelligent, capable and has some very valuable skill sets. I know another individual who was not formally educated but is a highly skilled industrial engineer, works as an independant consultant primarily for just one company. He gets paid basically whatever he wants, because he is one of a handfull of engineers that can work on some kind of complicated fancy machinery.

College only provides average people, like myself, with good opportunities. People who are truly exceptional are successful,not because of what some institution taught them, but because they have acquired knowledge and skills way beyond anything an institution can teach.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I'v done both. Fort Lauderdale "worked" for us and Orlando did not. Still, we built our career in Orlando, and accelerated it in Fort Lauderdale. To tell you the truth, I say neither. I think suburban Fort Lauderdale can be a SLIGHTLY better place to live (there is SO MUCH less traffic),but boy, you pay for it!I would NEVER move here without a job rounded up, either to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale.

Jobs- Fort Lauderdale (barley)
Cost of living- Orlando
Fun- Fort Lauderdale, definitely.
Singles- Both can be good.
Safety/Crime- Fort Lauderdale (I'm serious, look up statistics and spend some time here vs Orlando!)

I had a few main problems with Orlando, and those were MAJOR traffic issues, crime all over the place, and not-so-nice people. In Fort Lauderdale, my main problems are the cost of living. The people here tend to be down-to-earth/ neighborhoods have a less transient feeling to them. It's also a bit more diverse here if that matters.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Finding a Job

I'm having trouble getting a job from up here. No one will hire from out of state (understandable) and no option to transfer from this job.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Hmm...

I say try renting in Fort Lauderdale. The job market is (slightly) better down this way. Although Orlando is (slightly) easier on your wallet. Seriously though, you have to be careful. Florida is notorious for putting people who come seeking a job in debt. You ought to go to school up where you are first.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Fort Lauderdale is subtropical with nice beaches and does not get cool too often. Orlando gets cold in wintertime. I would say Fort Lauderdale.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Difficult Decision.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Sweet, another graveyard thread bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida