Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM

157 posts, read 570,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm in search of a decent web tool and general advice to find a vacation home for my wife and I. The problem is the budget, and the fact that the home must serve a few purposes.

About us, we're a young family (low 30's with 2 small kids (an infant and a toddler). We are city dwellers in Boston and want a non-city retreat in the sun down in South West Florida so that we can visit Disney fairly easily, but not exclusively (think day trip or overnight, not 2-week long Disney overload). We also want to be close enough to the Red Sox spring training facility and beaches.

1. We're hoping to find something that has 3 bedrooms, or 2 bedrooms with a Den. I am assuming this will be tough for under 100k.

2. We want something on the first floor, or at least has a bathroom and bedroom on the 1rst floor as my mother-in-law can't handle steps.

3. Community Pool - this is a must, we don't want a private pool, but want a pool for the kids and our parents to use.

4. Tennis and golf leagues/community - My Father in law spends time playing tennis, my and mom plays golf. We do NOT want a golf course on property though due to the costs, just convenient golf close by.

5. Gated.. Since we won't be around much of the year, we'd like a secure location. I know that a gate doesn't mean much, but it will appease my wife.

6. Wil serve my wife and I's retirement in 30 years. This is tough to gauge, but ultimately, we'll probably end up being snow birds when the time comes.

My inlaws rent at CopperLeaf in Bonita, my parents have rented in Spring Run. We want something similar but that does not have any golf membership req's or age limitations so that both us (in our 30's) and our parents (in their 60's) can mutually, independently, and affordably enjoy the property.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Venice to Naples? Wow. Good luck with that. It's not impossible,but you'd have to spend considerable time chasing down a foreclosure or short sale. Even then it probably wouldn't be a great location.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
You want gated AND under $100k and community pool

Are condos or townhomes OK?

Not sure if a single family home is possible in this price range for your requirements, especially if 55+ communities are excluded.

There are some nice 55+ mobile home communities that fit your criteria.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Yes, condo/TH is what we want, sorry def. do not want Single family or stand alone.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM

When I was looking, I saw a condo that would fit your description. It was at The Tides at Pelican landing in Bonita springs. This was last Summer. I believe it was 99,900 Three bedrooms, 2 baths. I don't know if you'd like it though. It's close to 41 and they were converted to condos, originally apartments. No golf, but do have a pool and tennis court.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Based on Trulia, there are hundreds of 2-bed listings on paper that loosely meet what I would want/need but I know nothing about the immediate areas they are in, the specific complex/development, or the details on the unit/apartment as to where it is situated (first floor, second floor?, etc?). Plus amenities aren't searchable (pool, tennis, etc). If you add the den or 3rd bedroom, the selection drops precipitously, so I may need to settle for a 2 bed.

I felt like at either of the 2 communities I spent time at (copperleaf or spring run) it didnt' really matter what the surrounding area was because the complex/campus was nice enough that you wouldn't really have to worry about the outside community as much. A grocery store is a grocery store, and to me, driving 20-30 mins isn't a big deal if I need to go to a nice mall or or visit a nice downtown area something for an evening out.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
I went to the website "Realtor", and put in your criteria. There are MANY condos available under 100K. There were 34 pages worth of listings actually. Their pretty nice in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Those listings mean little. When I was looking, all the attractive ones were either gone, had a deposit on them, or had bids over the asking price. Some looked good until you got there and started seeing obvious problems. Some had chinese drywall. You really have to take a few weeks and shop. And leave any impulsiveness at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida