Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,110 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing at a hospital near Spring Hill. I wanted to know how the schools were and it is nice place to raise a family? I have 5 children so it is important to us thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 AM

236 posts, read 900,587 times
Well since you asked, this is our experiences with the schools....If the originial poster is still interested, this is my view of Spring Hill... about coming here... dont! We have sink holes everywhere, so far 7 homes in my neighborhood have them. Me included. Insurance companies have changed the policies so they are not really covered anymore. Schools here are awful. I couldnt care less about the rating of a school, I care about how my children or grandchild is treated. The school on County Line will not let you walk on the property with your child. Even in kindergarten you have to drop them off and let them walk thru the length of the school property themselves. You can not walk to pick up your child, even if you live nearby. You have to wait in a line of car, that they say will take you about an hour to pick up your child. After hearing all this, my daughter placed my grandson in Catholic school, she is much happier with it, but it is pretty pricey! When I first moved here, I brought my then high school student to school. My daughter was afraid in school, for her own reasons, and didnt go to the classes but hid in the bathroom for 2 days. On the 3rd day she told me what she was doing, and I too, enrolled her in Private school. After a month of her not being in classes (at the public school) the office called me and asked why my child was not in classes for 2 weeks. I told them it was alot longer than 2 weeks and the woman hung up the phone. So much for no child left behind! (School Motto) Medical care here sucks! I have had too may instances of mistakes made in my families care.
There are plenty of nice areas and homes for sale (over 4000 of them) but before you buy anywhere around here make sure you check out for SINK HOLES!!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,110 times
Thanks, I will tell my husband, we are renting for the first two years.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
DB3

55 posts, read 309,202 times
Momix5 -- We are also considering moving to that area. Another poster has given the same advice about the schools, to use caution in evaluating them. I use the site greatschools.net which gives its own ratings in addition to how Florida rates the schools. In many cases, the greatschools rating is much lower than the State of Florida rating. But not all schools in the Spring Hill area rate low by greatschools' standards so I haven't given up all hope.

I was wondering though if any of the posters can answer another question about the schools in the Spring Hill/Hernando County area. I've read on these boards that in some school districts your address doesn't necessarily determine what school your children go to. That you "pick" the school you want them to go to but generally the case is that the best schools are full so the "new kids on the block" end up being forced to go to the lowest-rated school and are put on a waiting list.

Is this how it works in Hernando County/Spring Hill? Or is your address of residence the only determining factor? It know it's important for me to know which way it works and I'm sure others considering the move to the area might feel the same way. So thanks for any info.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
I also live in the area and the schools my children go to are fine schools. There are some in the area that are not that great though.
As far as the zoning for certain schools, I have not heard anyone say that they have not been able to get their children in the schools they are zoned for but one thing to watch out for is the school zone changes. There are a few new schools going in and they are changing the zones somewhat.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,253 times
There are some very desireable schools here in Hernando Cty. Lets say for arguements sake......I'm zoned for Suncoast Elem, great school, my kids would go there, but say, I want them to go to a magnet school, say
Challenger Math and Science, I would have to either go for the lottery or do a portfolio for my child to be considered, plus the added nonsense of driving my child to and from school each day. Since magnets aren't part of the regular bus routes.

As Mike has said, with the Northcliffe K-8 being built the zoning was change
for 2008/2009, may be good, may be bad, depends on each circumstance.
My own impression is that the magnet schools are much better, more attention paid to students, and better programs. Also to consider, right now the magnets have in place that if you have a sibling going into the school they are OK for this year. The school board just changed it that you have a child in a magnet school, your other children will have to apply and not get in automatically, something else to consider.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida