Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 26,567 times

Advertisements

Hello to all on this forum, I found it by Googling as for a while my partner and I have had the idea to move from London, UK to Florida.

I am in my mid 30's and have been to the US around 30 times. I am starting to hate London and the UK as a whole, reasons for this are:

1. Weather

2. Crime - this has increased in the last few years. I can't own a "good" car as it will be vandalised in the street in this N. London suburb. I have a 14 year old Mercedes, it has been scratched, broken into had the star broken etc. My apartment was broken into one morning when I was sleeping. I confronted the two intruders and called the Police, they came and took the details of the guys and they walked free, due to this I now sleep very lightly at night. My neighbour told me the Police used one of her rooms to spy on a house across the way, they found a whole stash of machine guns there.

3. Property prices. I earn £42,000 a year and will never be able to afford a decent size house with a garage in or around London. 3 bedroom terraced houses in my road go for £350,000 - £400,000. I had the idea to build my own place a few years back. I found this virtually impossible as planning permission and a decent plot of land are very hard to get hold of. I dream of a detached house with a pool..........

4. British activities are shopping, drinking and watching TV. Any town on virtually any night is full of drunken idiots in the street throwing up, urinating, yelling and fighting. I think this reflects the problem in the British society that people are so unhappy their only escape is alcohol.

5. Cost of living, I drive 20 miles to my job and back 5 days a week, this alone costs me £45 in fuel. Our tax is 17.5%, FL tax is 6% I believe. I know insurance in the US is high but I think I would be better off.

6. Traffic - its quite bad.

7. British people, especially Londoners are probably the least friendly in the world. I have never been anywhere that is worse for this, Americans talk to you and genuinely seem interested. There is also a 'hater' mentality here (people don't like it if you are doing better than them) I put it down to the population density and events in British history.

There are other reasons I suppose but these are the main ones.

Problems I can see with the US/FL:

1. Hurricanes (though they don't worry me that much).

2. It can be a violent society, area is all important. Don't go to the wrong place at the wrong time.

3. Driving standard is poor compared to the UK, annoying but I can get used to it.

I am white and my wife is African, I am thinking of an area on the east coast of FL somewhere. This is my goal in the next year or so, I have an immigration plan and we can kick off by bringing around $250,000 with us.

I would appreciate all comments positive and negative. I know the US and FL are not perfect but to me are looking much better than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Problems I can see with the US/FL:

1. Hurricanes (though they don't worry me that much).

It comes with the territory, but it's not like you can't prepare for it aka compared to earthquakes or tsunamis.

2. It can be a violent society, area is all important. Don't go to the wrong place at the wrong time.

Depends where you go/live. Common sense is prudent.

3. Driving standard is poor compared to the UK, annoying but I can get used to it.

Well we have a few roundabouts here but nothing like in the UK, very little 2 lane roads and people can't drive, don't use indicators and are totally oblivious to the outside world. Takes patience but it's not as bad as China, India or South America.

There are a lot of Brits here, I have met and worked with quite a few. I hear the opposite, they miss the UK and that people are more friendly in pubs and overall more outgoing.

Are you going to be sponsored by a employer or ? Do you have that side worked out already, very important since a B-2 Visa is only good for so long.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 AM

11 posts, read 26,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Are you going to be sponsored by a employer or ? Do you have that side worked out already, very important since a B-2 Visa is only good for so long.
Thanks for the response, I have the visa side worked out.

I am more interested in the quality of life / standard of living.

I believe it is pretty low in London.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
well, it may be lower here depending on what your looking for...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalitee View Post
Thanks for the response, I have the visa side worked out.

I am more interested in the quality of life / standard of living.

I believe it is pretty low in London.
The quality of life is nice here if you can afford it..sure we have issues, the weather is the biggest plus. Some people can't stand the humidity though. Depends on where your looking? What areas are you thinking about?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,755 times
What Visa are you planning on...as that will determine how long you will be here for as unless you come out on a Green card you will eventually have to return to the UK at some point. B2 visa was mentioned - that is to allow you up to 6 months in the USA.

what are your interests? Do you have kids/plan to have kids? We live on tehh east coast and love it here - but we live in a sleepyish place near Sebastian and Vero Beach - we love it but we orignially came from North Wales 2 years ago so it is good for us. You coming from London may not like the peace and tranquility here.....

Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,755 times
I have to say the weather here today is just like the UK!! (pouring down)I dont miss the UK at all and just miss family & friends...lol

Old 09-19-2007, 08:49 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,944 times
In my opinion, no place is perfect... they all have some pros and cons. For most people grass is always greener on the other side, so they complaint about their present situation no matter where they are.

I have been to London several times and while I love to visit, I can not imagine living there. Similarly, while people talk highly about GA, TN and NC here... if you talk to most of the people of the people live there, they all hate it and would love to move to FL. I personally LOVE down here and wouldn't want to move anywhere. I would rather deal with occasional hurricanes than guaranteed 4 - 8 months of snow!

I have been living in South Florida for several years and love it. Tons of decent paying jobs, beautiful beaches, nightlife, restaurants, cultural and sporting events etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs about the area, housing prices etc and I would be glad to help.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
In my opinion, no place is perfect... they all have some pros and cons. For most people grass is always greener on the other side, so they complaint about their present situation no matter where they are.

I have been to London several times and while I love to visit, I can not imagine living there. Similarly, while people talk highly about GA, TN and NC here... if you talk to most of the people of the people live there, they all hate it and would love to move to FL. I personally LOVE down here and wouldn't want to move anywhere. I would rather deal with occasional hurricanes than guaranteed 4 - 8 months of snow!

I have been living in South Florida for several years and love it. Tons of decent paying jobs, beautiful beaches, nightlife, restaurants, cultural and sporting events etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs about the area, housing prices etc and I would be glad to help.
I wouldn't say there is tons of decent paying jobs, food quality at restaurants is spotty compared to other places, I have even dined at some high class big ticket places and found the food to be sub par.....everything else I can say I agree with you.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM

27 posts, read 99,256 times
I moved from South FL to Charlotte, NC. It is so much nicer. S. FL is not the type of place for children. If you do decide to got to S. FL then I would suggest Weston. I do know that anyone fits in....in FL. I think if I went back to FL I would like to live in Orando or Jacksonville. Lake Mary is nice area outside of Orlando too. The weather is very hot and alot of traffic. What type of salary and lifestyle will you be living with?

Also, NC is really nice. People are great and the weather is nice....barely any snow. I think if your in the mountains than you much more. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida