Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 17,383 times

Advertisements

Hi I am currently in Tampa and I feel that the city is too small and undercrowded. It only takes a couple of minutes to walk through the whole city (downtown) and theres barely anybody there. I miss the feeling of NYC, seeing lots of people outside, lots of places to walk around.

Now I know no city in Florida is going to be like NYC, but I want to know what cities are closest (or closer than Tampa). Miami? Orlando?

Also, where is all the scientific jobs at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,049,939 times
I don't think any cities in Florida are comparable to NYC. I don't say that as a knock against Florida; I'm not crazy about NYC. Miami is the closest, although the similarities are just on the surface (size, amenities, etc.). But spend a few days in Miami and you will realize the "vibe" (for lack of a better term) is quite different from NYC. However, I think Miami would be a more comfortable transition for someone from NYC than Tampa would be.

I can't really speak for the scientific jobs. I think part of it depends on what you mean by "scientific". There are obviously a lot of marine laboratories, etc. all over the state, primarily in the coastal areas. If you mean academic research then my guess would be places like Gainesville and Tallahassee with research universities. I know various areas like the Treasure Coast, which recently got Torey Pines, are trying to court scientific private sector jobs, but I don't know how successful they've been.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,212,974 times
Miami. Although nothing is quite like NYC, at least in FL. The parts of Miami that probably come closest are parts of miami beach and downtown miami/brickell

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
Not much is like NYC but Miami will be the closet. Miami Beach and Downtown Miami are very urban. Downtown Miami has a pretty good public transit system too. Downtown can get a little empty on weekends and weekday nights but there are some good night life pockets in the downtown area.
Miami Beach is busy 24/7.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 05-06-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
No cities here like NYC. New York is HUGE and there are few cities anywhere that will be like that.

I don't understand why so many people come to this forum and ask this exact same question? If you want NYC, go to (or stay in) NYC. Makes sense to me (shrugs)

Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,207 times
None.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Once is enough.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidfatso View Post
Hi I am currently in Tampa and I feel that the city is too small and undercrowded. It only takes a couple of minutes to walk through the whole city (downtown) and theres barely anybody there. I miss the feeling of NYC, seeing lots of people outside, lots of places to walk around.

Now I know no city in Florida is going to be like NYC, but I want to know what cities are closest (or closer than Tampa). Miami? Orlando?

Also, where is all the scientific jobs at?
Scientific Jobs? Nasa
Closest city to NYC? Miami

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,872,985 times
Cool Hello?

Florida is set up as the playground of the 1% and their trust fund babies. They've set up a stress-free lifestyle of leisure, golf, cocktails and dining. If there's something urgent, the private jet's always waiting. (Hint: Hamptons)

If you are the other 99%, one of the attractions of Florida is the "time-out" living -- not wearing ties, showing up late, eating salads/fruits, skipping out of work early to play golf, go for a bike ride, locals not having a clue -- things that would get you slammed in the big city. But hey, you're probably only going to make about a third of what you could there anyway -- so why not?

UofM is probably one of the best schools in Florida comparable to a NE one, and FIU has international status, so you do the math on the rest of the State understanding the "rush" of urban living!

Sure there are plenty of urban folks now living in Florida -- but they've escaped the rat race: the go-go, carrot-chasing adrenaline lifestyles and the crime, filth, cold winters and commuting stress. What they bring is style to the mix to the locals.

While there is Tri-Rail in Dade, Broward, PB counties and SunRail is coming to Central FL -- Florida overall was developed as bedroom communities for commuters with poor public (and rail) transportation options. Try catching a cab on the street after midnight in most of Florida!

There are nice, downtown areas all over the state that have a pedestrian feel -- but (in most cases) roll up their sidewalks early and lack the feel, grit and steet-life drama of the city. (They actually don't want this as they mainly cater to the suburbanites who don't live downtown who would then avoid it for the mall instead).

So I guess to answer your question: bring multi-billion $$ corporations to Florida with high-paying, high-skilled jobs; elevate the IQ + education levels of the State for the locals; create a PBS documentary on the rare urban species that exist without car ownership; survey the population to see if they both understand and wish to participate in the lifestyle you are seeking.

Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidfatso View Post

As you walk around downtown Tampa you'll notice the total lack of any where for anyone to live,just large office towers that are open weekdays 9-5,the downtown core offers basically nothing that attracts people to the area.No city in Fla. is going to compare with that NYC atmosphere.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 17,383 times
Well is Orlando at least closer (in feel) than Tampa? Or are they about the same? I am kind of adverse to moving to Miami since I heard horror stories about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida