Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate from New York to Florida. Please help me to decide between Daytona beach or Bradenton, Fl. Weather (mainly hurricanes), cost of living are my main concerns. Which one has low hurricane risk.

Thanks,
Mal

Last edited by nytofl; 03-22-2006 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
d4l

6 posts, read 32,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytofl
I am planning to relocate from New York to Florida. Please help me to decide between Daytona beach or Bradenton, Fl. Weather (mainly hurricanes), cost of living are my main concerns. Which one has low hurricane risk.

Thanks,
Mal

pick daytona beach it is very fun there

Old 03-23-2006, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 35,110 times
I've visited Daytona quite a few times. If you are used to a big city you will hate it. (I'm from DC) There is almost nothing to do there, the beach is just ok, 2 "dance clubs" a handfull of biker bars, and a few good strip clubs. That's it. Daytona is pretty much a "low class" city.

Pick Tampa, much better of the 2.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 12,617 times
Default Moving to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytofl

Thanks,
Mal
Does anywhere in Florida have a low hurricane risk any longer? We had a townhome there. When we purchased it, there hadn't been a hurricane in Daytona Beach since 1994. We sold it in 2004 after it went through 4 hurricanes within 3 weeks.

Also my future daughter in law's parents sold their home in Daytona Beach last fall and moved back to Indiana. Their throught was, "at least there are no hurricanes in Indiana!"

Before you relocate. Check out the cost of hurricane insurance. I understand it has sky rocketed.

Sorry to be so negative, but I won't live there again.

I understand a lot of people in Florida are relocating to the Virgin Islands.

Take care and good luck with your decision.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:02 AM

77 posts, read 305,624 times
I would agree Daytona is a rather low-class area. Except for prices..$$$$$

As far as low-risk area from Hurricanes, hard to answer. But if I was looking, Bradenton is much nicer !! IMHO

There are approx 1000 families every week moving "into" Fla.
This is the Most beautiful time of the year in Fla. Windows open & A/C turned off..

Snow is just a bad memory !!!

Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 AM

111 posts, read 598,736 times
...great another littering yankee! just kidding!

Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 92,052 times
Default Daytona

The risks are about the same in both. Daytona is 100% better than Tampa, especially in the crime rates.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 AM

77 posts, read 305,624 times
I would suggest avoiding Daytona around "Bike Week" as it can get full of new bike owners that 'think' they can ride & add alcohol & you are surrounded by evil knevils that are very dangerous.
New leather & a bike doesn't make a "Biker"

Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 AM

40 posts, read 170,944 times
Default Move to Palm Coast...

No recorded hurricane landing for more than 120 years, resort area between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine.
A beautiful new city where residents commute to Orlando, and Jax to get better paying jobs just so they can bring up their families in this green and warm feeling bedroom community called Palm Coast.
Oh, but you should the developments coming up, and the high end gated communities bordering it. Even with the real estate slump, it's still better than most cities, weather, facilities, and atmosphere wise....
I'm a realtor, but please note I'm not advertising the place using my real name, so I really have no vested interest except that I love this place, it's great!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Daytona if you like the beach and the annual festivals they have every year (spring breakers, Daytona NASCAR races, bike week, car shows) just to name a few of the big ones that will jam up all the roads. Tampa if your looking for beaches, night life, jobs and oh of course traffic too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida