Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
This is all I need to know, but that's getting off topic.

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
What is all you need to know?
You linked to FDLE website for all of Florida.
You obviously know nothing.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Wow, I could never sleep in this humidity without running the AC. Of course I like sleeping with a blanket too, so I have to put the thermostat to 69. That's one thing I love about window units, you can cool one room down to whatever you like. The units in my bedroom and the living room are kind of oversized, so during the winter months they "short cycle". But this time of the year that extra power is great because I can cool my room down into the 60's at night, 72 in the hottest day in August.

I probably don't really belong here in Florida, I'm too much of a weather wuss. I'd probably do better in southern Cal near the coast. In the meantime I make it as comfortable for myself as I can.
If I wanted anywhere close to 60-70 all year I wouldn't live here. I certainly don't bother with AC in the winter.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,165,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
What is all you need to know?
You linked to FDLE website for all of Florida.
You obviously know nothing.
Really ? Look about half way down the page for violent crime and sex offenses in 2011 ? Bring up the Excel files and then do the math yourself. Hernando County was 22nd out of 71 Florida counties in violent crime per capita, 19th of 71 in sex offenses, Hardly a safe county ...

You obviously know something, but don't want to admit it ... the old real estate salesman syndrome.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
Really ? Look about half way down the page for violent crime and sex offenses in 2011 ? Bring up the Excel files and then do the math yourself. Hernando County was 22nd out of 71 Florida counties in violent crime per capita, 19th of 71 in sex offenses, Hardly a safe county ...

You obviously know something, but don't want to admit it ... the old real estate salesman syndrome.
What is the benchmark?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,726,445 times
Depends if you like mold or not?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Depends if you like mold or not?
Care to explain?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,526 times
Where did we pick up 4 Counties? Always thought we had 67. Anyhow, I can't imagine not running AC this time of year. I gotta have it 68 with ceiling fans and table fans blasting on high...I like it like an igloo up in here now.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,726,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Care to explain?
Sure. And for those that may come back saying I don't know what I am talking about, I am certified in mold remediation.

It's ok to not run your AC all the time, but not running it all summer is not good at all. Drywall is a sponge for moisture, if it is incredibly humid like it is down here in FL, leaving the AC off all the time, one is asking for mold growth. Mold grows on and in drywall because of it's being porous, and it's ability to absorb humidity. I have been in apartments where the residents go against their lease mold addendum(it states you need to run your AC to avoid mold growth) by never running the AC, then all of a sudden they open a closet to find mold growing everywhere, on everything, especially leather. Then they act shocked??? AC removes humidity and acts as a dehumidifier. If you have a dark closet, AC off, that is mold paradise. Night time is when the humidity runs highest, it would be better to leave it off all day, on at night. I have seen where a resident moves out whom never ran the AC, then they move the sofa and furniture and low and behold the walls have green, black, or pink mold behind them. So they take their furniture to where they move, carry the spores there, and start all over. So yes it is smart to run your AC during the summer here in FL. I could not sleep for a minute if I did not have my AC on at night, I will never get how people can leave it off????

Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Sure. And for those that may come back saying I don't know what I am talking about, I am certified in mold remediation.

It's ok to not run your AC all the time, but not running it all summer is not good at all. Drywall is a sponge for moisture, if it is incredibly humid like it is down here in FL, leaving the AC off all the time, one is asking for mold growth. Mold grows on and in drywall because of it's being porous, and it's ability to absorb humidity. I have been in apartments where the residents go against their lease mold addendum(it states you need to run your AC to avoid mold growth) by never running the AC, then all of a sudden they open a closet to find mold growing everywhere, on everything, especially leather. Then they act shocked??? AC removes humidity and acts as a dehumidifier. If you have a dark closet, AC off, that is mold paradise. Night time is when the humidity runs highest, it would be better to leave it off all day, on at night. I have seen where a resident moves out whom never ran the AC, then they move the sofa and furniture and low and behold the walls have green, black, or pink mold behind them. So they take their furniture to where they move, carry the spores there, and start all over. So yes it is smart to run your AC during the summer here in FL. I could not sleep for a minute if I did not have my AC on at night, I will never get how people can leave it off????
This time of year mine is on all the time (set on 80, a bit lower at night) but until recently I opened windows during the day and only turned it on at night. Fortunately I currently have a very mold resistant house, it's not shaded by trees, it is concrete block, plaster walls, large windows with cross-ventilation and terrazzo floors. The first house I lived in in Sarasota years ago was an old, crumbling 1920's Spanish house with wood floors, a leaky roof, no AC - that was a mold haven for sure. I was very sick in that house. Lived in it 12 years, we were struggling in those days and couldn't afford a total rehab. It had a flat roof which we had replaced and repaired numerous times to no avail. The old plumbing leaked in the walls, too. So glad to be out of that thing!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Lets start with the fact that you don't even know how many counties are in Florida. I'll help you out, there are 67 not 71.

I came up with Hernando being 21st in lowest violent crime but we will go with your 22nd. So 45 counties have a higher violent crime rate. And if you look at the 20 counties that are lower than Hernando, the vast majority are counties with 15-20K people and are extremely rural.

And as far as forcible sex offenses I didn't waste my time to see where the rank was but 49 total offenses in 2011 for a county of 173,000 people. That would work out to a .0283% (1/50th of a percent) probability of a forcible sex offense being perpetrated on someone.

Hernando is definitely safe. Yes there may be some pockets that are not the greatest but certainly not unsafe as you seem to think.

I certainly do know something, they are called facts.

This thread was about AC, if you want to discuss crime in Hernando county feel free to start a thread and I will educate you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida