Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM

58 posts, read 182,258 times

Advertisements

Light Snow Shower and Windy......31°F Feels Like 17°F
From WSW at 25 mph gusting to 38 mph..

I might as well chime in with some midwest weather......
I'd kill or 80 degrees! With our without humidity!

Peace.

Moderator cut: link not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,162 times
EVERYONE TALKS DOWN FLORIDA! My husband is re-locating and I think I am getting scared! HELP!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allofusgo View Post
EVERYONE TALKS DOWN FLORIDA! My husband is re-locating and I think I am getting scared! HELP!
Nothing to be scared about! It's a very normal place with enough abnormal folks to make it interesting. Read some of Carl Hiasson's books to get a feel for it!

I love Florida. Have lived here for 47 years- central FL, SE, NW and now NE. Am here for family reasons, but would return to any of the other areas without hesitation. They are all so different and have so many unique qualities. Where will you be moving?

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 03-02-2007 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allofusgo View Post
You'll be fine. You'll be with your family and that's what counts. Besides, even though you'll have to put up with the nice temps and the beaches and the palm trees, you'll be ok. (I'm trying to cheer you up. Dang smilies won't show up today and you can't see my feelings LOL)

Erkz, you have lovely weather. Been blizzarding here since Wed. at 7 am and will hopefully stop by noon tomorrow. 40 mph winds and it's stopped snowing. We have well over a foot of snow on the ground and most of it fell Wed. It is 16 degrees and our windchill is -3. Oh yea, it's warming up nicely.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:07 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
If you can tolerate heat better than me, you might like the 10 month summers. Please read all the other threads about Florida before making your decision. I wish I was up north where the temperatures are 40-50 outside and 60-65 inside(without heat) its honestly too hot and this is why I started this thread.

There is no snow and no intense cold in the northeast right now, only in the midwest and very far north. States like NC and TN have mild winters and yet they have shorter summers that rarely get as hot as here in south FL. I want four seasons, not the endless hot south FL summers!

Another miserable day and night in south Florida. I cant even sleep due to the heat. Even with air condition its hot and 5 minutes after the air condition turns off, my room gets hot again! I can turn the thermoset down to 75 but my parents get mad and mom complains its "cold" so to respect them, I usually just leave it alone and suffer everyday.

I dream everyday of living in the northeast. Its mid 40s in West Virginia and southeast Ohio. Sorry thats not cold but pretty much perfect. I know what mid 40s feel like, it got down to 40 here in south FL(very unusual) a few weeks ago and I was in heaven! Indoor temps were about 67 in my unheated bedroom(its always much warmer indoors due to the electronics and light generating heat)

The midwest and far north is too cold for me and many people on this forum complain about the cold. Yea I dont need 10 degrees(but will tolerate it for a short time) I think the best weather is located one state above Florida all the way up to PA. The maritime west is even better actually but very expensive to live there so im looking at the northeast realistically.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If you can tolerate heat better than me, you might like the 10 month summers. Please read all the other threads about Florida before making your decision. I wish I was up north where the temperatures are 40-50 outside and 60-65 inside(without heat) its honestly too hot and this is why I started this thread.

There is no snow and no intense cold in the northeast right now, only in the midwest and very far north. States like NC and TN have mild winters and yet they have shorter summers that rarely get as hot as here in south FL. I want four seasons, not the endless hot south FL summers!
HUH???

Gee, I thought I lived in the NE. Although it's not intensely cold, it's around 20. And there's about 6 or 8 new inches of white stuff that appeared on my deck since yesterday morning.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:55 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Another miserable day and night in south Florida. I cant even sleep due to the heat. Even with air condition its hot and 5 minutes after the air condition turns off, my room gets hot again! I can turn the thermoset down to 75 but my parents get mad and mom complains its "cold" so to respect them, I usually just leave it alone and suffer everyday.

I dream everyday of living in the northeast. Its mid 40s in West Virginia and southeast Ohio. Sorry thats not cold but pretty much perfect. I know what mid 40s feel like, it got down to 40 here in south FL(very unusual) a few weeks ago and I was in heaven! Indoor temps were about 67 in my unheated bedroom(its always much warmer indoors due to the electronics and light generating heat)

The midwest and far north is too cold for me and many people on this forum complain about the cold. Yea I dont need 10 degrees(but will tolerate it for a short time) I think the best weather is located one state above Florida all the way up to PA. The maritime west is even better actually but very expensive to live there so im looking at the northeast realistically.

I'm not going to say you aren't telling the truth but there is something wrong with what you describe. You are not getting your money's worth for sure. You need to something to make that house more efficient. Maybe tint some windows, if you have wall to wall carpet consider getting rid of it. Carpet sucks up air conditioning while not returning anything such as you will get with tile or terrazzo Drapes and big cushy furniture suck up air conditioning as well. Make sure your house is sealed up and you are not losing your air and hot air is not migrating in. From what you describe as to how fast the house get hot tells me you have hot spots in the house that as soon as the air go off the hot air permeates around the house immediately.

You can't have that or you are just constantly trying to cool hot air in an endless cycle, and it is almost futile. You want the whole room and everything in it to be cool. If you line the inside of your refrigerator with cardboard two things will happen. One it will never turn off and second in a few days you will be throwing all your food out. You need to go through that house and fix a few things, if not to save money to at least get what you are paying for and live comfortable. You will save money though.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
NAH, that's what's so great about us all wanting different temps and different things in life. That way we wouldn't all live in one state. (Joking) The midwest has cold winters for what I like, but I'm probably the only weather complainer of all the midwesterners on this forum. Typically, we're taught to suck it up and look for the best in things and grin and bear it and all that. There's a lot of people up here who are out playing in the snow today by riding sleds, snowmobiling, etc. A lot of people like to go out to the Hills and ski. I just personally don't like winter and never have so I know that at this point, I never will like it. Since I have a few health issues, the cold weather is really becoming a problem. I seem to function normally and without meds the other 7 months of the year. (I have a touch of fibromyalgia, have had spinal surgery, and have a touch of SAD) Have you by any chance had heat stroke in the past? I know of a few older people here who don't tolerate heat at all because they have had heat stroke. Also, do you have a ceiling fan or oscillating fan that you could use in your bedroom? I know that when it gets hot here, we always run a ceiling fan along with the AC.

And keep in mind that the weather map doesn't include windchills. As was said before, that makes a huge difference.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
Default miss my winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NAH, that's what's so great about us all wanting different temps and different things in life. That way we wouldn't all live in one state. (Joking) The midwest has cold winters for what I like, but I'm probably the only weather complainer of all the midwesterners on this forum. Typically, we're taught to suck it up and look for the best in things and grin and bear it and all that. There's a lot of people up here who are out playing in the snow today by riding sleds, snowmobiling, etc. A lot of people like to go out to the Hills and ski. I just personally don't like winter and never have so I know that at this point, I never will like it. Since I have a few health issues, the cold weather is really becoming a problem. I seem to function normally and without meds the other 7 months of the year. (I have a touch of fibromyalgia, have had spinal surgery, and have a touch of SAD) Have you by any chance had heat stroke in the past? I know of a few older people here who don't tolerate heat at all because they have had heat stroke. Also, do you have a ceiling fan or oscillating fan that you could use in your bedroom? I know that when it gets hot here, we always run a ceiling fan along with the AC.

And keep in mind that the weather map doesn't include windchills. As was said before, that makes a huge difference.
Jammie, born and raised in the midwest I loved winter. A few years ago I moved to Florida and would get sick every winter I went home. Not sure my bones just can't take it anymore. I also as of four years ago was diagnosed with fibromayalgia hate that tag because alot of doctors do not take it seriously. However last week I had surgery, a hysterectomy, for uteran cancer, I much would of preferred to stick with the fibro. So to say the least Im home on morphine patches and waiting to see the oncologist on Tuesday. Not to mention with no furniture in my house...thats a whole other story.

But I do MISS OH SO MUCH...my seasons. Spring, fall and even winter but in a milder manner than in Illinois. We are looking to relocate to NC. Have been there several times and absolutely love it!!!! Cant wait for the house to finally sell.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
NC, SC, GA, TN all have great weather, not all year round. But no place is perfect. These states don't get that much snow, they don't get too cold for to long. They do get hot and humid, but not as long as Florida. And they have seasons. Going through Christmas at 80 degrees it really just doesn't put you in the same holiday spirit when there is not a chill in the air. If I was moving from the North these are the states I would look at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida