Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 01:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,707,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The midwest and far north is too cold for me and many people on this forum complain about the cold. Yea I dont need 10 degrees(but will tolerate it for a short time) I think the best weather is located one state above Florida all the way up to PA. The maritime west is even better actually but very expensive to live there so im looking at the northeast realistically.

I was going to post that you shouldn't move to the Midwest, but you beat me to it. We are experiencing a miserable Winter right now and it would be a great dissapointment for you if you moved here.

Anything below 40's in the Winter I consider "suffering", in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 06:25 PM

669 posts, read 3,184,553 times
On the same token, he shouldn't move to West Virginia or Ohio either. I've never heard anybody besides NAH call them "mild". The winters certainly would be a bit much in those states if you want "mild".

If you want mild winters but not humid/hot/long summers, it's gonna be an expensive place - I don't know why he keeps looking for that combo, it's not gonna happen, at least not with $50k houses.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
NC, SC, GA, TN all have great weather, not all year round. But no place is perfect. These states don't get that much snow, they don't get too cold for to long. They do get hot and humid, but not as long as Florida. And they have seasons. Going through Christmas at 80 degrees it really just doesn't put you in the same holiday spirit when there is not a chill in the air. If I was moving from the North these are the states I would look at first.

Georgia is a little warm for me, although better weather than south FL for sure. TN and NC have the best four season weather without too many days of heat/cold. Perfect balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I was going to post that you shouldn't move to the Midwest, but you beat me to it. We are experiencing a miserable Winter right now and it would be a great dissapointment for you if you moved here.
Anything below 40's in the Winter I consider "suffering", in my opinion.
I already know the midwest is too harsh for me. Even Jammie wants out! I dont see many complaining about the cold in the northeast, its nowhere as bad as the midwest. It often gets to 40 in the winter in the northeast but can get below freezing for short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
On the same token, he shouldn't move to West Virginia or Ohio either. I've never heard anybody besides NAH call them "mild". The winters certainly would be a bit much in those states if you want "mild".

If you want mild winters but not humid/hot/long summers, it's gonna be an expensive place - I don't know why he keeps looking for that combo, it's not gonna happen, at least not with $50k houses.
Yes I call those winters mild because they are above freezing most of the time. The highs are like 40-45 and you know this, you live in that area! The lows get down to 10-20 degrees for a short time then warms up again. Compared to the -20 winters in the northern midwest, 20 degree winters are what id consider mild. I will live no further north than Oil city. Iowa is about the same latitude but its in the midwest so it gets several degrees colder.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 PM

528 posts, read 2,472,618 times
Quote:

I already know the midwest is too harsh for me. Even Jammie wants out! I dont see many complaining about the cold in the northeast, its nowhere as bad as the midwest. It often gets to 40 in the winter in the northeast but can get below freezing for short time.

what exactly is your definition of "midwest" and "northeast", 'cause I don't think the statement above is accurate....

Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Georgia is a little warm for me, although better weather than south FL for sure. TN and NC have the best four season weather without too many days of heat/cold. Perfect balance.

Yes I call those winters mild because they are above freezing most of the time. The highs are like 40-45 and you know this, you live in that area! The lows get down to 10-20 degrees for a short time then warms up again. Compared to the -20 winters in the northern midwest, 20 degree winters are what id consider mild. I will live no further north than Oil city. Iowa is about the same latitude but its in the midwest so it gets several degrees colder.
Being unable to tolerate heat even mild heat as you describe can be a symptom of disease such as Graves disease. It can also be a side effect of some drugs. What you describe is so out of the ordinary you should look in to there maybe being something wrong with you. It sounds like it makes you almost dysfunctional.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM

73 posts, read 442,291 times
I bet needafforablehome has never even been out of florida to experience the real cold weather. HE should come over the NAU in flagstaff an expereince a winter here. I guarntee he would want to leave after the first winter. THe point being most people who live in phoenix(which is warm most of the time) can only come to flagstaff for one day and go home because they complain its too cold. Phoenix is just as warm as south florida, maybe alittle cooler in the winter. I know phoenix is hotter in summer than south florida. THe dry is like a oven literally, stick your head in the over and thats what phoenix is like, with hot wind (no cool wind there).

Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Several degrees, in the cold, makes absolutely no difference in how you feel. For example, most people would be hard pressed to feel a difference between a 10 and 15 windchill. Both feel awful.

I know you've BEEN to colder places, but it's a lot different when you live there. Most people, even though they like having seasons, hate winter most of all. It's not a scientific study -- it's just my observances, and I could be wrong, but most people up north like the summer, spring and fall, and dislike winter.

20 degree winters are not mild. 20 degrees sounds mild (I guess?) until you've actually lived in it. -20 could easily happen in Oil City. You rely way too much on stats, and little real world experience. People tell you how bad Oil City is, you ignore that. People tell you it will get cold, you ignore that. I don't know what to tell you anymore...

If you ask me, it sounds like you don't like extremes -- not just heat, but cold as well. Good luck finding a climate with no extremes that has $50k houses. You won't find it. This sounds mean, but in the end, I'm trying to save you time researching, although it's unlikely you'll listen to me or care.

The bottom line is, I don't think you'll listen to anyone until you're sitting in Oil City, with a 10 degree windchill, with the heat set at 60, freezing cold, wishing you had listened.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 PM

Wanted to touch this seperately:

Perhaps the reason less people are complaining about the northeast than the midwest right now is because um, the midwest is having the rougher winter this year? Who cares? They both have snow, cold and wind. Don't kid yourself. Maybe next year, the northeast will get more of the cold and storms and the midwest will get off easy. There is no way of knowing.

If you don't like extreme heat, chances are you won't like extreme cold, and you'll find extreme cold in the midwest and the northeast alike.

I would suggest you don't go much further north then say, NC. Seems you'd probably be uncomfortable otherwise. But hey, who am I kidding? You're not gonna listen.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 PM

518 posts, read 2,218,714 times
While I do enjoy cool weather, I'll take the hot summers here over the frigid northern winters. At least you don't have to shovel the heat.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 AM

177 posts, read 682,084 times
Quote:

While the Northeast and Pennsylvania (technically in the Mid Atlantic) have had a mild winter this year, that is not the norm. While we may get into the forties once in a while, in general we have weeks and weeks of temps below freezing with wind chills. I have lived in the Northeast all my life and worked outside for the majority of it. I don't know anybody who would consider our winters mild.
Throw an occasional snow and ice storm in once and a while, fuel oil costs of over $2.00 a gal, high electricity rates and yes, contrary to your claim, houses that cost a lot more than $50,000, and it is not the Paradise you seem to think it is. And let's not forget the 10'+ of lake effect snow in upstate New York. Don't forget the wear and tear on your vehicle from the salt and materials used to keep our roads clear. Homeless people freezing to death and older people getting hypothermia in their homes because they can't afford to keep them warm enough.
In the summer, we may not have the high heat and humidity for as long a period as Florida but just last year we had weeks of temps in the 90s everyday with high humidity and quite a few days with the heat index in the 90s or over 100.
Those of us moving to Florida are constantly admonished here that we should listen to the people who live in Florida because they live here and know what it is like. In fact, I made some comments in another thread about the heat and humidity numbers that I had obtained on line and was told that they were bogus and things were much worse than that.
You are being told that your perception of the winters in the Northeast is wrong by people who live there and you don't accept it. I would not dismiss their experience if I were you.
On the other hand, with your plan to not spend more than $50,000 on a home, you won't ever get the opportunity to find out who is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida