Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,187,132 times

Advertisements

it might be cooler in tn, wv, or oh right now... but then again, you would have to live in tn, wv, or oh if you want the cooler weather. now, no offense to anyone, but the only state i'd probably even remotely ever living in would be tn. and i used to live in nc which is very similar to tn, and i didnt like living there. so my point is, if you want to enjoy wv weather, you have to live in wv. doesnt sound too good to me. just my 2 cents tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
See my south FL vs. north FL thread, one of your questions has been answered there in my most recent post. I am fine with "having" to live in tn, wv, or oh for the weather. I wont be missing those FL hurricanes. Why did you not like NC and where do you now live?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,287,590 times
Why is a Florida hurricane so much more devastating and inconvenient for you than routine blizzards and snow storms? Just this past week a sever cold and snow event whipped through the NE and at least 9 deaths were blamed on the weather.

AND, I STILL think you have an unusual tolerance for the heat. You have talked about 70 degrees outside being "too hot" because you sweat in your room, which is 80. Yeah, and you have your computer running and I bet a few incandescent light bulbs as well. If I understand it correctly you live on Singer Island.... which is on the water and you SHOULD be having a decent breeze that keeps it a couple degrees cooler than inland.

It was in the mid-70s here today, and right now it's about 80 degrees in my house. I'm not sweating.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why is a Florida hurricane so much more devastating and inconvenient for you than routine blizzards and snow storms? Just this past week a sever cold and snow event whipped through the NE and at least 9 deaths were blamed on the weather.

AND, I STILL think you have an unusual tolerance for the heat. You have talked about 70 degrees outside being "too hot" because you sweat in your room, which is 80. Yeah, and you have your computer running and I bet a few incandescent light bulbs as well. If I understand it correctly you live on Singer Island.... which is on the water and you SHOULD be having a decent breeze that keeps it a couple degrees cooler than inland.

It was in the mid-70s here today, and right now it's about 80 degrees in my house. I'm not sweating.

If youve never been in a hurricane, you should not underestimate them. Lots of people live far north where its cold and snowy, if it was so bad no one would wanna live there. I could live in southern WV or southeast OH and get half to a third the snow, 5-10 degrees warmer and 2-4 weeks shorter winters than in the further northeast states. Best thing is for me to visit those places next winter and see how I like the snow depth, temperatures and wind(chill) if Oil city is too cold/snowy I can live in southern WV or southeast OH instead. I have no idea what anything below 40 degrees feels like.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:30 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,287,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If youve never been in a hurricane, you should not underestimate them. Lots of people live far north where its cold and snowy, if it was so bad no one would wanna live there. I could live in southern WV or southeast OH and get half to a third the snow, 5-10 degrees warmer and 2-4 weeks shorter winters than in the further northeast states. Best thing is for me to visit those places next winter and see how I like the snow depth, temperatures and wind(chill) if Oil city is too cold/snowy I can live in southern WV or southeast OH instead. I have no idea what anything below 40 degrees feels like.
Excuse me, but I'm from Port St. Lucie, and don't get worked up over hurricanes unless they are Category 3s or above. Actually, my gradfather was almost injured (or possibly killed!) by falling limb in a hurricane in NEW JERSEY once.

Your logic works the same way when it comes to "hot" weather and hurricanes with regards to "if it was so bad nobody would wanna live there" (in Florida).

Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
you mean fireplace? Where am I going to get wood? I would have to hike in the forest, chop trees and carry it back. Buying firewood wont save me anything over using a gas heater.
When I was in Tampa, I stayed in an RV park and purchased an outside fireplace. Something with a screen over it. You know, set around in the evening with the neighbors and a beer while our feet were propped up towards the fire. I needed wood. I found wood so cheap in Florida, it was unbelievable.

I called a tree trimmer that advertised that he had mature oak. I asked him what he got for a cord. He said, "I don't sell it by the cord, cause a cord don't exactly fit in a pickup." I said, how do you sell it? He said, "Well, I have a 3/4 ton pickup, and a pickup box trailer. I just throw it in, I don't stack it in. I fill both boxes with Oak. Plus I throw in 15 or 16 good pieces of lighter." The load, delivered and stacked is $55." I said bring it on. When he got there, it was raining cats and dogs. I told him just dump the load and when it quit raining, I'd stack it up. I gave him his money. He said, "This ain't quite right, I said I'd deliver and stack, rain or no rain." I had to argue with him to just dump it and leave. Then when I went to help him he argued that I didn't need to help. Course, that was Tampa area. Not sure how it is the rest of the state, but it all looked pretty much the same where I went. haha

Forgot to mention. All of the wood was split except for about 5 or 6 pieces that were too big to burn right. Everything else was perfect.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Its cheap cause no one needs/uses firewood. I use air condition in the "winter" here in south FL. Sometimes if it gets "cold" like 50 I can just open the window and stop sweating. I really wish it was 50. Also im not looking forward to the hurricanes of 2007.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Living on the water does not help. The ocean is 150 feet from my house, and the summers here are HORRIBLE! I have been on the boat and sweating uncontrollably, the humid air just sits there and you suffer. I am so miserable now, it feels like June and the humidity is 80%. Perhaps another cold front will come but I doubt it. The mosquitoes are breeding and the roaches are flying. As for hurricanes, you really need to experience one. Where I live you have to evacuate for category 3 or worse, and it's a lousy experience of sitting in traffic, going to FIU the shelter or staying with my parents. During Wilma a tree fell through their roof and water ppoured in. Once your home is damaged, it's very stressful as you don't know what's next. I was so angry during the storm, but calmed down as the aftermath brought a cold front. Ahh the 50 degree nights, and I had the roof fixed in one day. The bad thing is that they have no generator, because the Team Metro zoning communists hassled them about it. At my home I have a contraption built from barrels, a car engine, and generator head that runs on wood and provides power for the whole house. After Katrina I went to their home to help clean up and staying one night without power was so horroble. I got so angry that I went to my home and loaded up the generator on a trailer and brought it over. heat is always worse than cold, you can build a fire and bundle up to get warm, but there's no escaping the punishing tropical heat. I have been sick again, as I always am after it warms up. Stomach aches, nausea, diarreah, it takes me two weeks to adjust to the heat. takes only one day to get used to Florida "cold".

Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Wow Tallrick. Ive read many posts from you and how miserable you are and how much you are suffering. How soon can you move out? Can you put your house for sale now?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Evidently my home is worth a small fortune so some greedy investor would buy it. But I actually enjoy living here a lot more than when I visit my parents. Their neighborhood is the most miserable place, full of problems. Honestly the way my parents have been harassed and made to suffer is far worse than I have been. The only reason I am still here is that I won't give up without a fight. I will stay as long as their's hope for a better Florida. That is, if other people join in the fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida