Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 40,634 times

Advertisements

We just bought some land in Fanning Springs, Florida, in the Silver Oaks subdivision. Does anyone live in or know this area? Is it nice? We will only live here in the winter months. It seems to be a beautiful place to live, we ride motorcycles and it's beautiful for that. How nice are the winters here?
Let me know what you think....Thanks

Last edited by ISINGDU99; 09-20-2006 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 30,088 times
You may want to check into homeowners insurance before you build on that property. We are getting financially raped in Florida. Not sure about your area, but the West Coast of Florida is getting hit with double and triple homeowners insurance rate increases every year!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 AM

90 posts, read 262,585 times
Default Insurance

Maybe they don't need insurance?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,956 times
Fanning Springs is in Dixie County next to Chiefland.Not much there.Run by good ol' boys,who you know.Fanning Spring's is next to very nice state park Manitiou Springs.The winter will range in 30-40 night to 60-70 daytime range Dec thru Feb.Very rural county.They are in the works for a hospital since Gainesville is 50 miles away.Taxes for snow bunny can be very high since if it exists after Jan,you won't have homestead nor S.O.H. (save our homes) which caps your assessment at 3 percent.Insurance if you can get,will be expensive,I don't have any.You are closer to Gulf and Cedar Key,so more at risk for hurricane.Florida is in turmoil right now and don't see light at end of tunnel.It was nice for my first 17 years but not these last 3.I would move if I could but will have tough time selling home.Fanning Springs is less than a dot on map.Gas station,restaurant, flea market and hardware store.

Last edited by DanBev; 09-14-2007 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 989,823 times
It's a gorgeous area, as far as natural stuff. Not quite as 'dramatically pretty' as the natural wonders of Homosassa, but close.
It's still mainly "old Florida" over there, so don't expect much in the way of city amenities. Being "old Florida", there's still a rural population that people have taken to calling "rednecks" so if this makes you uncomfortable, *definitely* look elsewhere. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the subdivisions and parcel bonanzas are in low income areas, even though they're sold sight-unseen to people thinking they're more along the lines of "gated communities".
Expect to see single wide mobiles in most of these places.

Dixie County is a great place for people who want to "escape" from city life or suburban hell. It's not a great place for people who are going to "build a life" in the way of work, business, school or economic opportunities. There is a lot of speculative money tied up there right now and a lot of people believe that the Homosassa to Horseshoe Beach block of near vacant land (the last part of coastal Florida left that hasn't been condo'd out) is the next Flagler County (give or take a real estate cycle or two and a few decades...)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 PM

18 posts, read 119,217 times
I lived near and worked there and near. Its not for someone who wants to earn a large pay check thats for sure. Most people in central florida are retired and live on social security. The other ones are making it from pay check to pay check. It s a nice little place and the people will make you feel right at home. Old timers live there, which most of them earn extra money by selling junk at flea markets and actions. These people are really country...I thought Georgia was southern. Most of these people slaughter their own meat, pick eggs up off the yard, make their own syrup, and all that good stuff. It will be a change if this is not the norm for you. But I can say it will grow on you. I bought a cowgirl hat and wore it when I lived there. I thought it was kind of fun to go to all the rodeos and things. I always thought that side of the ocean kind of sucked though. Sometimes of the year you have a lot of Sea Weed come in from the Gulf. Which can get pretty nasty if your there to swim. Great fishing spot..horseshoe beach.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 AM

495 posts, read 2,320,736 times
I used to hunt in Old Town Hammock before it got cut up by developers.

Gorgeous woods with lots of tall palms and giant grandaddy oaks and cow trails that went for miles. It was 100,000 acres of range cattle with only cattle gates at the roads to keep em in. Lots and lots of ticks.

I havent been out there in years though. There were lots of 10 acre parcels for good prices back then, no telling what they are asking now.

Not much in Cross City. Chielfland is a better town for shopping. I heer they gots a Wally World there now.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 AM

137 posts, read 548,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Fanning Springs is in Dixie County next to Chiefland.Not much there.Run by good ol' boys,who you know.Fanning Spring's is next to very nice state park Manitiou Springs.The winter will range in 30-40 night to 60-70 daytime range Dec thru Feb.Very rural county.They are in the works for a hospital since Gainesville is 50 miles away.Taxes for snow bunny can be very high since if it exists after Jan,you won't have homestead nor S.O.H. (save our homes) which caps your assessment at 3 percent.Insurance if you can get,will be expensive,I don't have any.You are closer to Gulf and Cedar Key,so more at risk for hurricane.Florida is in turmoil right now and don't see light at end of tunnel.It was nice for my first 17 years but not these last 3.I would move if I could but will have tough time selling home.Fanning Springs is less than a dot on map.Gas station,restaurant, flea market and hardware store.

This is all correct! I live 2 towns over (Levy County) and my children participate in the livestock show there every year. It is pretty, it is rural, it is run by the "old south" and I love it but I am a native. Just remember where you are and come down to make friends not to change things and you'll be fine! Oh and stay out of Cross City if you can, Dixie county is the butt of all the jokes around here....we say it out of love but no more "redneck" can you get in these parts! Florida is NOT developed like CA we still have A LOT of rural parts....oh and insurance will be expensive! Good Luck! Where are you from?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM

137 posts, read 548,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
I used to hunt in Old Town Hammock before it got cut up by developers.

Gorgeous woods with lots of tall palms and giant grandaddy oaks and cow trails that went for miles. It was 100,000 acres of range cattle with only cattle gates at the roads to keep em in. Lots and lots of ticks.

I havent been out there in years though. There were lots of 10 acre parcels for good prices back then, no telling what they are asking now.

Not much in Cross City. Chielfland is a better town for shopping. I heer they gots a Wally World there now.
It's a SUPER Wal-Mart....

Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 40,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82BAGATOR View Post
This is all correct! I live 2 towns over (Levy County) and my children participate in the livestock show there every year. It is pretty, it is rural, it is run by the "old south" and I love it but I am a native. Just remember where you are and come down to make friends not to change things and you'll be fine! Oh and stay out of Cross City if you can, Dixie county is the butt of all the jokes around here....we say it out of love but no more "redneck" can you get in these parts! Florida is NOT developed like CA we still have A LOT of rural parts....oh and insurance will be expensive! Good Luck! Where are you from?
We live in Illinois now...we will be snowbirds. Illinois summer months, Florida winter months. We love the quiet. We own motorcycles, I think it will be a great place to ride. We like the small town atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida