U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,673,530 times
Thumbs up The Renters' Rights "On-Line" Handbook

I found "The Most Comprehensive Guide on the WWW For Florida Tenant/Landlord Relations. This guide does provide lots of excellent guidance for everyone that rent a home/apartment. The Florida Public Interest Research Group Education Fund is the research and education arm of Florida PIRG, one of the state's leading environmental and consumer watchdog organizations.

http://www.floridapirg.org/consumer/renters/rrpage1.htm (broken link)

Rent Increases

With a written lease, the landlord may not raise the rent unless the lease allows it. Your landlord may raise the rent under an oral lease, unless you both specifically agreed that he couldn't. Your landlord must give you the same notice for a rent increase that he would for a termination (see page 16), in order to give you an opportunity to move out. (F.S. 83.57)

Rent pay period ---- Necessary Notice

week to week ---- seven days notice

month to month ---- fifteen days notice

quarter to quarter ---- thirty days notice

year to year ---- Sixty days notice

Another source:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...083/ch0083.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
What do you think is a reasonable rent increase?

3%
5%
7%
10%
15%
20%

Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,752,490 times
The question, as posed, is meaningless. How can you know what an appropriate rent increase would be if we don't know the product, or the current rental?

As an extreme example, suppose I rented out A-class office space at $18/ square foot to get tenants in for the first couple of years to cover my costs and expenses. Then, in two years, similar A-class space is renting for $29/square foot. A reasonable rent increase could be between 40% and 60%.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 34,251 times
Well...that is really good to know about all of the posts, it's empowering to hear the good stuff. My husband and I looked at a place in winter springs, and it's amazingand well, 700 or so a month for a one bedroom, but to us, that isn't bad, because in our little city here in Edmond, well, and apartment that isn't crappy, runs about 550 for basic and extra to 650, so really, we feel, it's a great deal for the setting, agree? WE have to do most of our research ie internet because it'll be awhile before we can go to Florida and well, we'll only have one week to look at all the places and decide, and we live in OK, so it's a drive and half.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 34,251 times
Well...that is really good to know about all of the posts, it's empowering to hear the good stuff. My husband and I looked at a place in winter springs, and it's amazingand well, 700 or so a month for a one bedroom, but to us, that isn't bad, because in our little city here in Edmond, well, and apartment that isn't crappy, runs about 550 for basic and extra to 650, so really, we feel, it's a great deal for the setting, agree? WE have to do most of our research ie internet because it'll be awhile before we can go to Florida and well, we'll only have one week to look at all the places and decide, and we live in OK, so it's a drive and half.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 9,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I found "The Most Comprehensive Guide on the WWW For Florida Tenant/Landlord Relations. This guide does provide lots of excellent guidance for everyone that rent a home/apartment. The Florida Public Interest Research Group Education Fund is the research and education arm of Florida PIRG, one of the state's leading environmental and consumer watchdog organizations.

http://www.floridapirg.org/consumer/renters/rrpage1.htm (broken link)

Rent Increases

With a written lease, the landlord may not raise the rent unless the lease allows it. Your landlord may raise the rent under an oral lease, unless you both specifically agreed that he couldn't. Your landlord must give you the same notice for a rent increase that he would for a termination (see page 16), in order to give you an opportunity to move out. (F.S. 83.57)

Rent pay period ---- Necessary Notice

week to week ---- seven days notice

month to month ---- fifteen days notice

quarter to quarter ---- thirty days notice

year to year ---- Sixty days notice

Another source:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
I was on a Florida 7mth lease with my apartment complex... The lease expires on September 30, 2007. Earlier this month i received a notice in the mail from management to either renew or vacate but it mentioned nothing of increasing the rent. I finally had time last week to stop by the front office to sign new paperwork and that's when i was informed my rent was increasing 30 dollars with my new lease. This really caught me off guard because I might have to have surgery on my knee in two weeks so moving will be difficult plus i dont feel like proper notice was givin to me to make a decesion in my best interest. I basically feel i was forced into this lease due to improper notice....Is this legal?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,386,560 times
Your lease was up. They are not raising the lease amount on your old lease, the new lease is just higher.
There is nothing illegal with what they did as far as I can see.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Your lease was up. They are not raising the lease amount on your old lease, the new lease is just higher.
There is nothing illegal with what they did as far as I can see.
So in this scenario, if you are leasing and it is year to year does the landlord have to give 60 days notice for the new lease with rent increase?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,386,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clag515 View Post
So in this scenario, if you are leasing and it is year to year does the landlord have to give 60 days notice for the new lease with rent increase?
I have never heard of that law.

I would think the LL can raise the rent on the new lease without notice and to any amount they want unless the existing lease specifies a renewal amount.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,815 times
in miami dade county florida a landlord can raise rent as high as and as many times as they desire if there is no written lease saying otherwise. if you want to encourage a tenant to move that refuse to follow your oral property rules, just raise the rent to way more than you know they can afford, an watch them either move or refuse to pay. if they move, yippy landlord is happy, if they refuse to pay the new rent amount, that will be a easy eviction for refusing to pay their rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida