U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM

1,301 posts, read 578,952 times
Default Snowbirds can vote in 2 States!!!!

6 months in each state gives you the right to call yourself a esident. You pay the taxes there, you live there. Should these people have homes there and no say on the regulations....just another LIB attempt at punishing those with enough money to have two residences", is is what somebody wrote to me.

Excuse me? I wrote back that a person cannot be a PERMANENT resident, of 2 different states. Snowbirds must declare permanent residency of either Florida, or another state. "One man/women, ONE VOTE", applies to the rich as well as the poor.

These exchanges were to a forum on Rick Scott's voter purge. So the point of this thread was about VOTING rights. Do the rich (or obvisously Republican in this case) think they can vote for the President in 2 different states? Talk about ILLEGAL votes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,006,169 times
I'd love to know how many of these folks fill out an absentee ballot in one state and vote in the other. I bet it is staggering.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM

7,912 posts, read 9,373,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'd love to know how many of these folks fill out an absentee ballot in one state and vote in the other. I bet it is staggering.
...But their surnames are all Anglo and nobody suspects them of being illegal or a felon.

Full disclosure! I have homes in two states and am a gringo but I only vote in ONE state: Florida.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,546,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
6 months in each state gives you the right to call yourself a esident. You pay the taxes there, you live there. Should these people have homes there and no say on the regulations....just another LIB attempt at punishing those with enough money to have two residences", is is what somebody wrote to me.

Excuse me? I wrote back that a person cannot be a PERMANENT resident, of 2 different states. Snowbirds must declare permanent residency of either Florida, or another state. "One man/women, ONE VOTE", applies to the rich as well as the poor.

These exchanges were to a forum on Rick Scott's voter purge. So the point of this thread was about VOTING rights. Do the rich (or obvisously Republican in this case) think they can vote for the President in 2 different states? Talk about ILLEGAL votes?
We actually lived in a house owned by people from NYC who never lived in Florida who used the address of the house they owned to register to vote and get a Florida driver's license to get Florida residents status for the theme parks and tried to get the tax exemption on the house we were living in here in Florida. The cards came to OUR mailbox. I sent them back to the voter registration office saying they did not live in Florida and gave them their NY address. 2 months later new cards came to our house. I called and talked to voter registration again. Sent the tax exempt cards back and called them, too.
- surprise surprise- They were in the state on election day so I suspect that they voted in the presidential election and for governor here in the state as well as voting in NY. This was back in the 90s. Today you have to give up one license to get the Florida one, but these people were cheats and would have got around it one way or another. Funny thing was even the tax exemption office was not really very interested that they did not live at the house and never had. But then again...maybe it had something to do with them selling the house and moving back to South America eventually.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM

188 posts, read 212,389 times
I see no reason a that a person living in more than one state should have the right to vote for governer, mayor etc. in each state. But only one vote for President. You have a vested interest in every area you pay taxes in.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
I see no reason a that a person living in more than one state should have the right to vote for governer, mayor etc. in each state. But only one vote for President. You have a vested interest in every area you pay taxes in.
It doesnt work like that. You can only vote in the state you are a permanent resident of. You cannot be a permanent resident of more than 1 state.

Sorry snowbirds, choose your allegiance or stay up Nawth

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...But their surnames are all Anglo and nobody suspects them of being illegal or a felon.

Full disclosure! I have homes in two states and am a gringo but I only vote in ONE state: Florida.
That 91 year old WW2 Vet had an Italian surname. So did the woman Florida Business Owner of 25 years. Maybe somebody couldn't tell the difference between a Hispanic and an Italian surname? Maybe these people crossed the border illegaly from ITALY?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM

6,223 posts, read 4,024,969 times
A few in the military vote in local and state elections without having stepped foot in the state for years. Should they have more say what goes on in a state they do not even live in over someone who lives in it six months a year?

And in many local areas, the military have no say, yet they contribute a lot to the local economy by way of living there.

For example, in my case, the state I was a resident of I voted in elections there, but did not even step foot in the place for 15 years. Yet a place I would live in for years I would have no say in.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It doesnt work like that. You can only vote in the state you are a permanent resident of. You cannot be a permanent resident of more than 1 state.

Sorry snowbirds, choose your allegiance or stay up Nawth
Doesn't it make you wonder how many of these illegal votes there are? This is just as much illegal as letting non-citizens vote. Why should some people get to vote TWICE?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM

6,223 posts, read 4,024,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That 91 year old WW2 Vet had an Italian surname. So did the woman Florida Business Owner of 25 years. Maybe somebody couldn't tell the difference between a Hispanic and an Italian surname? Maybe these people crossed the border illegaly from ITALY?
Really, a person cannot tell any difference between a Hispanic and a non-Hispanic due to a Hispanic being of any race and having any name. Hispanic as used is a political term from the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida