Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 359 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am an executor of an estate and unhappy with the realtor who has the estates property ( a condo ) for sale.

I have six weeks left with them before my contract expires and I would like to know if I can legally contact potential new agents before my exclusive one with them expires?

I am not that familiar with Florida laws and have had trouble online finding the answer to this question.

If it matters, it’s a condo in Pinellas county

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
I think this is more a matter of 'contract law' than 'Florida law.' Talk to the broker. They would likely rather have you happy to be out of the contract, than unhappy and talking to others about it. Of course, they will retain commission rights to anyone who viewed the property under their watch.

Has the property been advertised? Instead of automatically assuming the problem is entirely the realtor, investigate other reasons the property may not be selling. (Is it over-priced?, Has the local market slowed-down?, Is there a major property flaw?, Are other condos in the complex selling?).

Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
What they said above. A quick call to the broker could probably have this contract terminated, assuming their aren’t other circumstances that would not allow cancellation. Let me know (via message) if you need a qualified referral. My parents worked with a wonderful agent for their pinellas townhome.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Some brokers might let you off the hook. Others won’t (it is a contract after all) but might assign a different agent to the listing. You can read the language in your Listing Agreement yourself but, generally, you can talk to other agents about listing your property in the future once your listing contract expires but they shouldn’t interfere with your contract while it is active.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Some brokers might let you off the hook. Others won’t (it is a contract after all) but might assign a different agent to the listing. You can read the language in your Listing Agreement yourself but, generally, you can talk to other agents about listing your property in the future once your listing contract expires but they shouldn’t interfere with your contract while it is active.
Just want to be clear...you can probably talk NOW with other brokers about listing later unless your listing agreement specifically says you can’t. It’s probably not the best approach. Better to discuss the reason for your discontent with your broker if not your agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida