Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
It seems like most of the people who move back and forth from Florida several times are originally from the Northeast.

This isn't surprising, either, especially since most people from the Northeast tend to be very family-oriented and have a tight-knit group of close friends whom they've known since they were 5 or 6 years old. Most people from the Northeast are very traditional, too. For example, every Thanksgiving is at Aunt Sue's, every Christmas dinner is at Granny's, every Fourth of July is spent at Uncle Al's annual backyard cookout with barbecue, homemade fireworks, etc.

Not only do most people from the Northeast have the same traditions for every holiday or special occasion, but they also frequent the same restaurants, watering holes, churches, etc. for most, if not all, of their lives, depending on whether the joint is still in business or not.

For the most part, their families don't move away, either--they all live in the same community or, in the case of my extended family, on the same block. And if you're not physically present in the neighborhood or area, you may feel excluded or left out. Lots of people can't make it back home to every single wedding, christening, funeral, bachelor party, graduation, etc. because it's too expensive and, sometimes, too difficult to get the time off from work. Since these people still remain very close to their family and friends from home, they feel as though they're missing out when they miss these special occasions/milestones.

Others, of course, will miss the seasons and the traditions that accompany seasons such as apple and pumpkin-picking in the fall, skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing in the winter, summertime cookouts/barbecues, etc.

Therefore, it's hard for most people to break away from that. But they can't stand the weather, they want to live near the beach, they want a bigger/newer/cheaper house, they want lower taxes, or all of the above, so they move to Florida. They've been to Florida number of times on vacation, and it seemed great--sunshine, warm weather, plenty of housing options to chose from (cheap, too!), the best roads you've ever laid eyes on, the theme parks, the beach. And EVERYONE from the Northeast knew someone--or many people, for that matter--who had moved down to Florida and supposedly *loved* it. So, that's when people return home and start planning their move.

After a few years in Florida, however, I think most people from the Northeast start to miss the familiarity of home, the familiar faces, the traditions they're no longer part of because they live too far away, the places they frequented every month or even every week for as long as they could remember, etc. They probably miss the quaintness of the Northeast, too. I think those are the reasons why lots of people from the Northeast especially move back--they simply miss all of that. Florida communities in particular are quite fractured and very transient, so those traditions and experiences in Florida are hardly replicated. Maybe in North Carolina or Texas it's different, but Florida isn't anything at all like that.

However, if you've been living in Florida for a number of years and then move back to the Northeast, they will notice that nothing at home is "the same" or "what it once was." Granny has died, so no more Christmas dinner at her home. Uncle Al is divorced and his ex-wife got the house, so no more annual 4th of July cookout. Aunt Sue's retired and now spends the week of Thanksgiving at her timeshare in Hawaii, so no more Thanksgiving dinner at her home. Lots of your friends, cousins, and neighbors who were around your age have moved to different cities or even different states for career opportunities or because, like you, they wanted warmer weather, lower taxes, and a bigger/newer/cheaper home to raise their young families. The food at your favorite restaurant that you ate at least once a week religiously growing up doesn't taste the same anymore because the restaurant is under new ownership, or it may have simply closed its doors. And so on.

I think that's where the disconnect is occurring because when all of this occurs or changes, home--or at least your ideal of home, rather--has forever changed. When you realize this and also that you're now back to living in a small, old, dilapidated home; paying exorbitantly high taxes; waking up an extra hour early to clear snow off of your car; begin heating your home on October 10th--that's when you start to long for Florida and remember why you moved there in the first place, hence why lots of people who move to Florida from the Northeast and then move back home usually return to Florida.
Absolutley one of the BEST posts in a thread I have ever seen in all my CD years... So true, and so correct. Nice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 PM

390 posts, read 608,763 times
I second that... I was envisioning myself that that could be me one day. 8-32 characters, you are probably from the Northeast too!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
I'm in FL for the 3rd time lol

FL to NC to FL to NC to FL.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm in FL for the 3rd time lol

FL to NC to FL to NC to FL.
Why so much back and forth from the same two places?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM

FL to NC the first time around when younger... got married went to college, etc moved back to FL... then back to NC b/c I liked it better... then back to FL for great job... and being around family is very nice. I have family in both so either one is good for family. I do think NC is a better place to live though.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
FL to NC the first time around when younger... got married went to college, etc moved back to FL... then back to NC b/c I liked it better... then back to FL for great job... and being around family is very nice. I have family in both so either one is good for family. I do think NC is a better place to live though.
In all honesty, if I had to chose between FL and NC, I'd probably pick FL, despite my strong dislike for the state.

NC is much more socially conservative and religious than FL. Also, people in NC don't particularly care for "Yankees" all that much, and the "Y-word" used as an insult or in a derogatory manner is much more common there than in FL. Overall, people seem more open-minded and tolerant in FL vs. NC, although I suppose it depends on where you live.

For me personally, most of NC, including Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, is just too Southern. Even though people say NC is where a bunch of Nor'easters/New Englanders and FL halfbacks go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. NC, esp. in the smaller towns and rural areas, is very backwards--much more so than FL. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to truly like it there. Although this element can be found in certain areas of FL, it's generally relegated to the rural, less populous northern/inland areas of the state whereas this element can be found in NC cities/suburbs.

Also, the weather in FL is better than the weather in NC, IMO--much warmer/sunnier, no snowstorms, no ice storms, fewer hailstorms, fewer deadly tornadoes, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, if I had to chose between FL and NC, I'd probably pick FL, despite my strong dislike for the state.

NC is much more socially conservative and religious than FL. Also, people in NC don't particularly care for "Yankees" all that much, and the "Y-word" used as an insult or in a derogatory manner is much more common there than in FL. Overall, people seem more open-minded and tolerant in FL vs. NC, although I suppose it depends on where you live.

For me personally, most of NC, including Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, is just too Southern. Even though people say NC is where a bunch of Nor'easters/New Englanders and FL halfbacks go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. NC, esp. in the smaller towns and rural areas, is very backwards--much more so than FL. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to truly like it there. Although this element can be found in certain areas of FL, it's generally relegated to the rural, less populous northern/inland areas of the state whereas this element can be found in NC cities/suburbs.

Also, the weather in FL is better than the weather in NC, IMO--much warmer/sunnier, no snowstorms, no ice storms, fewer hailstorms, fewer deadly tornadoes, etc.
Like you've mentioned, it depends on WHERE in FL and WHERE in NC you're speaking about. To many ppl, Charlotte and especially Raleigh is not that Southern anymore or at least, its losing it due to all the ppl moving there from the NE, the transplants from FL (from up north originally, in most cases), CA, etc. I'm more conservative than I used to be, so hearing "damn yankees" or whatever is cool with me lol. Those folks, for the most part, are so nice and would give the shirt off their back for you, regardless of where you're from. They just like to talk **** and poke fun of ppl from up north, etc. It's harmless though. I'd rather hear that than constant spanish or creole or something I cant understand.

The weather in NC is a BIG draw to many ppl. Its 4 seasons, and they're mild. Asheville NC a few yrs ago was ranked as having the best weather in the country, even ahead of San Diego a few yrs back.

I can hear tons of bubba talk just by going a few miles north or east lol. It doesnt bother me a bit, in fact, being a native cracker, I miss it.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Like you've mentioned, it depends on WHERE in FL and WHERE in NC you're speaking about. To many ppl, Charlotte and especially Raleigh is not that Southern anymore or at least, its losing it due to all the ppl moving there from the NE, the transplants from FL (from up north originally, in most cases), CA, etc. I'm more conservative than I used to be, so hearing "damn yankees" or whatever is cool with me lol. Those folks, for the most part, are so nice and would give the shirt off their back for you, regardless of where you're from. They just like to talk **** and poke fun of ppl from up north, etc. It's harmless though. I'd rather hear that than constant spanish or creole or something I cant understand.

The weather in NC is a BIG draw to many ppl. Its 4 seasons, and they're mild. Asheville NC a few yrs ago was ranked as having the best weather in the country, even ahead of San Diego a few yrs back.

I can hear tons of bubba talk just by going a few miles north or east lol. It doesnt bother me a bit, in fact, being a native cracker, I miss it.
I wouldn't quite describe the weather of NC as "mild" or call it a "big draw" for many people--it's very humid in the summer with lots of thunderstorms and the potential for hurricanes/tornadoes and persistently cold in the winter with the potential for snow/ice. Thankfully, I don't suffer from seasonal allergies; however, most of the Southern states aside from FL are downright miserable for seasonal allergy sufferers. Oh, yeah--can't forget skeeters, too.

If you hate heat/humidity or cold--and most people seem to hate one or the other--I just can't see how NC is a good compromise because they get more than their fair share of both.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't quite describe the weather of NC as "mild" or call it a "big draw" for many people--it's very humid in the summer with lots of thunderstorms and the potential for hurricanes/tornadoes and persistently cold in the winter with the potential for snow/ice. Thankfully, I don't suffer from seasonal allergies; however, most of the Southern states aside from FL are downright miserable for seasonal allergy sufferers. Oh, yeah--can't forget skeeters, too.

If you hate heat/humidity or cold--and most people seem to hate one or the other--I just can't see how NC is a good compromise because they get more than their fair share of both.

Nah, I disagree. NC has 4 mild seasons. Its nothing compared to up north. And, at least in the mtns, its not nearly as hot and humid. Sure in Raleigh, you may see 93 degrees in August like you do in FL, BUT... it's not soupy and disgusting at 8am like it gets in FL. And it cools down quicker and it doesnt last as long.

NC's 4 mild seasons is a big draw to many. Ppl in FL move up there everyday, they love the seasons. Get tired of the heat and humidity. Ppl from up north move there to get away from the bitter cold. Trust me, I know, I lived there for a while lol.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Nah, I disagree. NC has 4 mild seasons. Its nothing compared to up north. And, at least in the mtns, its not nearly as hot and humid. Sure in Raleigh, you may see 93 degrees in August like you do in FL, BUT... it's not soupy and disgusting at 8am like it gets in FL. And it cools down quicker and it doesnt last as long.

NC's 4 mild seasons is a big draw to many. Ppl in FL move up there everyday, they love the seasons. Get tired of the heat and humidity. Ppl from up north move there to get away from the bitter cold. Trust me, I know, I lived there for a while lol.
Lol, I'm guessing you've never been out West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida