U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Florida: tropic landscape, year-round tan, incredible sunsets, great fishing and boating, hurricanes

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2007, 12:38 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 6,466,297 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The problem is the parents don't know anything themselves. They live in debt and the kids learn these values. It would take at least a generation to produce any change but it should be taught in schools. Finally they would be teaching something of value with real world applications. Why do you resent being a teacher so much? Wouldn't it make you feel good you may be able to teach a kid something that may actually create a better life for them?
I don't resent being a teacher. I thoroughly enjoy all that I have experienced in the field, both the bad & good. I never said that it shouldn't be taught in school. I actually tied in modern day economics & budgeting to middle schoolers when teaching ancient roman/greek history & the Middle Ages.

I resent parents who pass the buck on to others to raise their kids & teach them responsibility.

You are right; many parents don't know any better themselves & it turns into a cycle. But there are many parents who don't like parenting, want to be parents, or find it too time consuming, so they assume everyone else will raise their child.

Again, never once did I state that it shouldn't be taught...it definitely should & at the elementary level...but parents also need to be just as involved.

I am both & do both. It's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 25,282 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I don't resent being a teacher. I thoroughly enjoy all that I have experienced in the field, both the bad & good. I never said that it shouldn't be taught in school. I actually tied in modern day economics & budgeting to middle schoolers when teaching ancient roman/greek history & the Middle Ages.

I resent parents who pass the buck on to others to raise their kids & teach them responsibility.

You are right; many parents don't know any better themselves & it turns into a cycle. But there are many parents who don't like parenting, want to be parents, or find it too time consuming, so they assume everyone else will raise their child.

Again, never once did I state that it shouldn't be taught...it definitely should & at the elementary level...but parents also need to be just as involved.

I am both & do both. It's possible.
I was not your common kid. My father born in 1898 and already retired and somewhat an old man when I was born. My mother was not his first wife and probably married him for his money. Having said that, being raised by someone that age and with the values a depression era self made person had, I grew up thinking much differently then my friends, Heck, I had friends with parents who were little more then dumb kids themselves. Twelve year olds with parents who were in their twenties.

That is what you have today. What chance do these kids have to learn values, and it may not be the parents fault, they don't know any better. It has to start somewhere and school may be most kids only chance to get a start. "Economics for everyday use 101". We as a society are spiraling down hill in that regard. Look at the topics on here, people who can't even figure out the best mortgage for themselves. Everything is "What should I do. Da"? What should you do? Before you even go in the office know as much about the subject as the guy on the other side of the desk, thats what you should do. What are they to stupid to learn or too lazy?

Don't depend on others to lead you by the hand all the time. That is the kind of things kids need to learn. That they have a brain and can think for themselves and not just be sheep all their lives following the herd. Who cares where the kids learn their values at school or at home, as long as they are sound and of use. We need a generation of people who aren't just sheep. Like it or not it must start in school, the heck with the parents. We want a generation smarter then their parents, not repeating the same mistakes.
I am off my soap box for now, but I really believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 4,261,731 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I know a couple, husband is a cop and the wife is a teacher. They make over $100,000 combined with plenty of benefits and have no kids, no debt, drive nice cars but not new and live really a nice life from what I can see. If people manage themselves they can do all right.

A lot of peoples problems they cause themselves then look for someone to blame. I have always thought kids should be taught finance in school right from the start. All of life revolves around money, like it or not and if you don't know anything about it you can really *********rself up quick.


I guess this if you are coming from where i am coming from that $50k is rich......so in my world you are rich......How can kids even learn finances when thier parents where dirt poor and when they got thier first job they ended up helping thier mother by giving most of the money to the rent (therfore they dont ever have money to save or finance) and how can a kid that had to support thier mother because she lost her job be at fault for ruining thier own personal financial situation?......You guys are living in Rich people fantasy land and i know someone will say some bull crapola now because they just cant relate to kids that actually grew up poor...and dont say you did either because if you did you would know exactly what i am saying....enjoy what you have because not all of us have been so lucky with having a network of people to help out or getting a foot in the door at the right job or even having a meal to eat every day of thier lives....dont respond unless you have come from where i have come from or where other people like me have come from....you are saying that its poor peoples fault for being poor....maybe in some cases but that doesnt explain "All" the people that are living pay check to pay check....there are more of them than you guys..........i guess that its people with cancer's fault for catching that disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 PM
 
971 posts, read 2,515,523 times
Reputation: 251
that's right, more people here need to practice Acceptance that Fla. is a fantastic state--just deal with it and stop hating.

Then they would achieve inner peace and Enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski99 View Post
The joys of living in Southwest Florida(And how to accept your fate)


Ah! Let's see. There's the fabulous weather, of course. But that doesn't really count. The fact that we have only two seasons, Spring and Summer, doesn't enter into the equation. The fact that flowers bloom year round doesn't count, either (After all, Florida is Spanish for Flower) The fact that the water of the Gulf is so clear and blue, you can see the sandy bottom in astonishing depths, is minor. Walking on the beach, squishing your toes through the sugar-fine sand, making you want to change your vocation to Beach Bum, is insignificant. The fact that, even in the Winter, you can get a sunburn, is inconsequential. The great fishing and boating is trivial. Developing a laid-back attitude is of minor importance. And breathing fresh, salt-filled air is trifling.
No. The reason why I love living in Southwest Florida is The Hurricanes. When one hits, you just huddle in your closet with the dog, the cat, water, a radio, and a husband, if you have one. While Mother Nature rips your house apart, you cry, you pray, and wish it would all go away. You wonder what you did to deserve this, and Why In The Hell Did I Move To Florida?!
Oh!... yeah!... Now I remember. The fabulous weather, the beaches, the Gulf, the tropic landscape, and a year-round tan. And did I mention the incredible sunsets?! I can put up with a Hurricane every few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 4,261,731 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I was not your common kid. My father born in 1898 and already retired and somewhat an old man when I was born. My mother was not his first wife and probably married him for his money. Having said that, being raised by someone that age and with the values a depression era self made person had, I grew up thinking much differently then my friends, Heck, I had friends with parents who were little more then dumb kids themselves. Twelve year olds with parents who were in their twenties.

That is what you have today. What chance do these kids have to learn values, and it may not be the parents fault, they don't know any better. It has to start somewhere and school may be most kids only chance to get a start. "Economics for everyday use 101". We as a society are spiraling down hill in that regard. Look at the topics on here, people who can't even figure out the best mortgage for themselves. Everything is "What should I do. Da"? What should you do? Before you even go in the office know as much about the subject as the guy on the other side of the desk, thats what you should do. What are they to stupid to learn or too lazy?

Don't depend on others to lead you by the hand all the time. That is the kind of things kids need to learn. That they have a brain and can think for themselves and not just be sheep all their lives following the herd. Who cares where the kids learn their values at school or at home, as long as they are sound and of use. We need a generation of people who aren't just sheep. Like it or not it must start in school, the heck with the parents. We want a generation smarter then their parents, not repeating the same mistakes.
I am off my soap box for now, but I really believe this.

Alot of 20 year old parents arent as lucky as most of the people i hear on this site saying that they are buying a house in a nice area....most parents in thier 20's that i know are barely making it .......is it thier fault?....no......are there jobs that pay enough for them to do better?....yes.....but some of these parents have no time for school to get the degree to get one of those jobs because they are busy raising the kids and working too many hours to be able to afford to spend time making sacrifices to go to school.......you know thats true so please dont tell me a story of how if you want it you can get it......


for alot of people that just doesnt happen....there are plenty of people i work with delivering pizza that are over 30 years old and for "some" reason they have to deliver pizza.....you telling me that all my co-workers are failures or is what i am saying true....that not everybody has the same chances and same obsticals in life? i wonder if there are 20 positions available somewhere in Orlando that can accept all of my co-workers and then i wonder if there are another 50 positions available to get all the people out of working in resturants in my plaza where i work?......


there isnt that many jobs out there so you cant say or ask me why do i deliver pizza and why i cant get a better job....belive me i have tryed and am finishing school....but even after waisting 40k on my degree it will get me a $10-$12 an hour job.....which i am already making about a little less than that right now....i am speaking for everyone that truly wasnt as fortunate in life as somepeople that were and the people that were think they have overcome obstacles and probably have but for alot of people the obstacles are different and the timing of events in peoples lives are different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 4,261,731 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
that's right, more people here need to practice Acceptance that Fla. is a fantastic state--just deal with it and stop hating.

Then they would achieve inner peace and Enlightenment.
Its hard to tell that to people that are actually having a rough time financially here.....tell that to the people that get robbed and live in fear after hearing gunshots in Pine Hills or Holden Heights, and tell taht to someone struggling and making it pay check to paycheck....im sure you enjoy your lifestyle financially but not everyone here has the same opportunities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Central FL
1,682 posts, read 5,649,620 times
Reputation: 779
Thaspecial....I'm glad to hear you are completing your degree. Your frustration comes through loud and clear - but good things can and do happen. Many times it requires a long struggle - but the important thing is to never give up! Are you at UCF? Have you attended any of the job fairs or signed up at the job placement office? What field are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 25,282 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Alot of 20 year old parents arent as lucky as most of the people i hear on this site saying that they are buying a house in a nice area....most parents in thier 20's that i know are barely making it .......is it thier fault?....no......are there jobs that pay enough for them to do better?....yes.....but some of these parents have no time for school to get the degree to get one of those jobs because they are busy raising the kids and working too many hours to be able to afford to spend time making sacrifices to go to school.......you know thats true so please dont tell me a story of how if you want it you can get it......


for alot of people that just doesnt happen....there are plenty of people i work with delivering pizza that are over 30 years old and for "some" reason they have to deliver pizza.....you telling me that all my co-workers are failures or is what i am saying true....that not everybody has the same chances and same obsticals in life? i wonder if there are 20 positions available somewhere in Orlando that can accept all of my co-workers and then i wonder if there are another 50 positions available to get all the people out of working in resturants in my plaza where i work?......


there isnt that many jobs out there so you cant say or ask me why do i deliver pizza and why i cant get a better job....belive me i have tryed and am finishing school....but even after waisting 40k on my degree it will get me a $10-$12 an hour job.....which i am already making about a little less than that right now....i am speaking for everyone that truly wasnt as fortunate in life as somepeople that were and the people that were think they have overcome obstacles and probably have but for alot of people the obstacles are different and the timing of events in peoples lives are different
It is not about being rich, it is about doing the best you can with what you have and hopefully doing better. That take some education and discipline, to not screw up your life before it even gets started. Your example of 20 year olds with nothing and a couple of kids is a pretty good example. Doesn't sound like good planing to me. That was my point with my original comments. Kids need to know early how life works as far as money goes. More wealthy people started poor then rich. You can also give wealth to many people and they will just lose it.

You see it all the time with inheritances, they get something and pi$$ it away as fast as they can because they just don't have a clue. One of the secrets is knowing what to do when opportunity comes along. Delivering pizzas may be your opportunity. You may like and learn the business and end up in the pizza business, who knows. Or you could deliver a pizza to some one and that meeting be the most important meeting in your life. That is how it works. You also have to avoid the bad. Hanging out, drinking doing drugs and so on will run your life into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Central FL
1,682 posts, read 5,649,620 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It is not about being rich, it is about doing the best you can with what you have and hopefully doing better. That take some education and discipline, to not screw up your life before it even gets started. . You also have to avoid the bad. Hanging out, drinking doing drugs and so on will run your life into the ground.
Good advice! There are things you cannot control, but you don't have to allow yourself to be drug down. Set a higher standard and determine your children will have a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2007, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 4,261,731 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It is not about being rich, it is about doing the best you can with what you have and hopefully doing better. That take some education and discipline, to not screw up your life before it even gets started. Your example of 20 year olds with nothing and a couple of kids is a pretty good example. Doesn't sound like good planing to me. That was my point with my original comments. Kids need to know early how life works as far as money goes. More wealthy people started poor then rich. You can also give wealth to many people and they will just lose it.

You see it all the time with inheritances, they get something and pi$$ it away as fast as they can because they just don't have a clue. One of the secrets is knowing what to do when opportunity comes along. Delivering pizzas may be your opportunity. You may like and learn the business and end up in the pizza business, who knows. Or you could deliver a pizza to some one and that meeting be the most important meeting in your life. That is how it works. You also have to avoid the bad. Hanging out, drinking doing drugs and so on will run your life into the ground.

GOOD advice...i kinda think this way already, but it helps to keep hearing things like this.......you are right maybe i will end up in the pizza buisness ...who knows......my boss is always telling me i would be a good manager but even he admitts that they dont get enough money for what they have to put up with but its funny because alot of the managers at my company are doing it so they can move on to actually own thier own stores somewhere......and to reply to Pianogal .....i was going to DeVry but im kinda in a bad situation with that but still wanna finish but dont know if im going to go on in that field....it was a different story when i started there ....the counselors made my program look like it was going to be something different then what it has turned out to be and ive lost the motivation to pursue that kind of work....i really want to be out there doing something usefull like police work or something but its hard to choose because of financial reasons, and health reasons. Its a long story but thanx to everyone for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top