Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: tropic landscape, year-round tan, incredible sunsets, great fishing and boating, hurricanes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 AM

31 posts, read 146,586 times

Advertisements

The joys of living in Southwest Florida(And how to accept your fate)

Ah! Let's see. There's the fabulous weather, of course. But that doesn't really count. The fact that we have only two seasons, Spring and Summer, doesn't enter into the equation. The fact that flowers bloom year round doesn't count, either (After all, Florida is Spanish for Flower) The fact that the water of the Gulf is so clear and blue, you can see the sandy bottom in astonishing depths, is minor. Walking on the beach, squishing your toes through the sugar-fine sand, making you want to change your vocation to Beach Bum, is insignificant. The fact that, even in the Winter, you can get a sunburn, is inconsequential. The great fishing and boating is trivial. Developing a laid-back attitude is of minor importance. And breathing fresh, salt-filled air is trifling.
No. The reason why I love living in Southwest Florida is The Hurricanes. When one hits, you just huddle in your closet with the dog, the cat, water, a radio, and a husband, if you have one. While Mother Nature rips your house apart, you cry, you pray, and wish it would all go away. You wonder what you did to deserve this, and Why In The Hell Did I Move To Florida?!
Oh!... yeah!... Now I remember. The fabulous weather, the beaches, the Gulf, the tropic landscape, and a year-round tan. And did I mention the incredible sunsets?! I can put up with a Hurricane every few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Great post! Thanks for reminding us how blessed we are.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski99 View Post

Ah! Let's see. There's the fabulous weather, of course. But that doesn't really count. The fact that we have only two seasons, Spring and Summer, doesn't enter into the equation. The fact that flowers bloom year round doesn't count, either (After all, Florida is Spanish for Flower) The fact that the water of the Gulf is so clear and blue, you can see the sandy bottom in astonishing depths, is minor. Walking on the beach, squishing your toes through the sugar-fine sand, making you want to change your vocation to Beach Bum, is insignificant. The fact that, even in the Winter, you can get a sunburn, is inconsequential. The great fishing and boating is trivial. Developing a laid-back attitude is of minor importance. And breathing fresh, salt-filled air is trifling.
No. The reason why I love living in Southwest Florida is The Hurricanes. When one hits, you just huddle in your closet with the dog, the cat, water, a radio, and a husband, if you have one. While Mother Nature rips your house apart, you cry, you pray, and wish it would all go away. You wonder what you did to deserve this, and Why In The Hell Did I Move To Florida?!
Oh!... yeah!... Now I remember. The fabulous weather, the beaches, the Gulf, the tropic landscape, and a year-round tan. And did I mention the incredible sunsets?! I can put up with a Hurricane every few years.
But you DON'T live here....

These are things YOU like. Not everyone who lives here boats or likes the beach. Not everyone lives here for those things.

Odd to tell those who do live here how to accept their fate. It's not your decision to make for them.

Last edited by 121804; 09-26-2007 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Odd to tell those who do live here how to accept their fate. It's not your decision to make for them.
You forget, people up north think you can eat sand and pay your bills with sun and surf.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,198 times
You don't live in SW FL Gregski99?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 117,364 times
Default *

Hey Greg- I hear ya on all those beautiful Florida attributes. Add beautiful tropical foliage to the list as well. However this is not everyone's cup of tea. That's okay too. The people on the west coast do seem to treat FL like a third world nation. After the years of living in CA with all the pretentious types and liberal whackos, I am content to be in the heat hanging with the fishermen and other old timers on the weekends at the pier. Going to the beach is great here in E Central FL. No crowds and plenty of room to just be.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,292 times
Quote:
The Hurricanes. When one hits, you just huddle in your closet with the dog, the cat, water, a radio, and a husband, if you have one. While Mother Nature rips your house apart, you cry, you pray, and wish it would all go away. You wonder what you did to deserve this, and Why In The Hell Did I Move To Florida?!
This is a rather cavalier thing to say about something which destroys people's lives and in many instances takes those lives. Clearly you have only experienced the utter devastation of a hurricane in your mind. Trust me, no one looks at the destruction of their homes and their community and says "oh well, at least the beach is awesome".

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
People do not realize that a major city has not been hit by a powerful hurricane since 1926. Most storms luckily hit less densely packed suburban areas, or poorer towns. The sweltering heat and heavy humidity makes 1/2 of the year unbearable. The constant development and endless immigration has stolen the quality of life for most. This is a place where you cannot go to the places you enjoyed as a child because they have all been replaced.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Default Wait a minute . . .

Quote:

I just read another post of yours to learn that you do not reside in Florida and you seem to have a habitual habit of not using quote marks when posting statements as above.

Am I getting you confused with someone else?

Moderator edit (don't call out members)

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-26-2007 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Calling out member

Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Ah, yes.

Another one of those people that dreamed of moving to southwest Florida, only to become upset when reading the negative posts, then telling the actual people that lived, or live there, that they are wrong, and he knows best because, well, he dreamed it wasn't like that.

Then he gets all sarcastic on our butts.

Don't wake up the guy, he's having a nice dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida