Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maej2004 View Post
I am a single mom with an elementary school age going child. I am looking to relocate from the midwest (lived here 10 years) and buy a foreclosed home or homes priced (below 80k) in Florida this summer. I am more of a surbaban kind of girl but would like to be within proximity of less than 30mins of night life and entertainment. A community close to but not right on the beach is great. Good schools are important and so are children entertainment and sports activities. I have a versatile home business so employment is not a factor. I was also thinking of areas with a higher level of professionals and educated communities and some diversity.....I do have an accent and no its not Spanish. I am ready to finance and move right away if I do find the right place and housing. Thank you.
Foreclosed Home?
Surburban?
Close To Beach?
Higher Level Of Professionals?

Tampa Bay Area without a doubt. But coming from the midwest you might be looking for a change and Tampa for some reason reminds me of a Midwestern city. So Suburban Jacksonville or Suburban East Orlando Might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM

5 posts, read 36,942 times
Thank you for all your advice and taking the time to respond. I have to admit I did not sleep much last last night. Worked on it all night. For my price range I did not find much in Melbourne, Seminole or Tampa. However I can find one in Palm Bay right now. Why is this? Crime? Bad schools? Lack of entertainment? How is this city for singles? You also get much house for the money. Whats the deal with Palm Bay?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your advice and taking the time to respond. I have to admit I did not sleep much last last night. Worked on it all night. For my price range I did not find much in Melbourne, Seminole or Tampa. However I can find one in Palm Bay right now. Why is this? Crime? Bad schools? Lack of entertainment? How is this city for singles? You also get much house for the money. Whats the deal with Palm Bay?
Remember what I wrote earlier - you get what you pay for. I am not knocking Florida, but I've done a lot of research and I don't think it's a real bargain compared to other states. You said you are looking for an area with diversity, educated people and activities. Have you considered the Duke University area in NC? You won't be near a beach, however, if that's important to you. Greenville SC is more diversified and has an active downtown area, also not near a beach. It's a very conservative area, but it has an international flair to it. I hope you find what you're looking for, but I'm speaking from experience. Florida in the abstract has a kind of mysticism to it, so everyone wants to move here to stroll along the white sand beaches and watch bright orange sunsets. When you get here, it's just another place to live with the same problems you encounter anywhere. Just make sure this is the place you want to be for a while before you put down some roots.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
I am a single mom with an elementary school age going child. I am looking to relocate from the midwest (lived here 10 years) and buy a foreclosed home or homes priced (below 80k) in Florida this summer. I am more of a surbaban kind of girl but would like to be within proximity of less than 30mins of night life and entertainment. A community close to but not right on the beach is great. Good schools are important and so are children entertainment and sports activities. I have a versatile home business so employment is not a factor. I was also thinking of areas with a higher level of professionals and educated communities and some diversity.....I do have an accent and no its not Spanish. I am ready to finance and move right away if I do find the right place and housing. Thank you.
Something in the Sarasota/Bradenton area might fill the bill. We have some of the best beaches in the country, and good schools. Your price range might be an issue, but not necessarily impossible. Sarasota is a diverse cosmopolitan city with a highly educated population, has several acclaimed small colleges and a lot of arts and culture. Bradenton just to the north is quickly becoming an arts destination, with a riverfront downtown that is in revitalization right now. It is definitely worth checking into here. I am not as familiar with the North Port area, but I know there are some great deals to be had there in your price range. It will be further from beaches and things to do, however.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Palm Bay have some higher crime issues (mostly teen nuisance crimes I think) and is lacking in things to do for singles in my opinion as it's very family-oriented. It's overbuilt for what it can support in terms of employment options hence the number of listings. You might look to the south at Port St Lucie which has home prices/values similar to Palm Bay but is in much closer proximity to things to do as it's a reasonable commute into Palm Beach County.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Not only that but a lot of Palm Bay and several other areas were hard hit when NASA stopped the shuttle program. Due to so many scientists, engineers that were in the area you can benefit from a great education in many of those areas. The area was one of the few in Florida that had stellar schools due to their demands. Yet, prices are great because people are desperately trying to sell their homes so that they can relocate for jobs. We've seen some of them up here due to our close approximity to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. If you don't need a job, the Space Coast is a perfect place for you. Just stay away from Cocoa, which is a dump, and you'll be fine. Palm Bay has a very low crime rate but Cocoa's is through the roof. By the way, I have family in Palm Bay and Melbourne.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Palm Bay has a lot of crime and rough areas. Not the best place for a single mom in Florida. But the prices do match. This is how all of Florida is. The more you cough up, the better you live.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Palm Bay has a lot of crime and rough areas. Not the best place for a single mom in Florida. But the prices do match. This is how all of Florida is. The more you cough up, the better you live.
The crime rate is very low in Palm Bay.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The crime rate is very low in Palm Bay.
Lol I didn't say it was high. I just said it has a lot. I guess HIGH crime to me would be Miami or Orlando. I live in the viewing area for Palm Bay, they are ALWAYS on the news along with West Melbourne. I've been there and my cousin doesn't stay too far away. Trust me they have some rough areas and a lot of crime for its size. But in recent months Palm Bay has been quiet I'll admit that. It has its history though lol.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Lol I didn't say it was high. I just said it has a lot. I guess HIGH crime to me would be Miami or Orlando. I live in the viewing area for Palm Bay, they are ALWAYS on the news along with West Melbourne. I've been there and my cousin doesn't stay too far away. Trust me they have some rough areas and a lot of crime for its size. But in recent months Palm Bay has been quiet I'll admit that. It has its history though lol.
I have several family members and a friend that live in Palm Bay and my dad lives in West Melbourne. He has more money than God. It is not an iffy area by any means. Further, he's a chaplain and has regularly sees the pulse of the community. I've been to the area and stayed there many, many times. I use to live in Orlando as well. What you see on television isn't quite a scientific study of the area. Check the stats on City-Data for great information.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Bay-Florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida