Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,623,780 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, does SoFla feel like the US to you?

Or does it seem like another country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,200,597 times
The same could be said about any major city or area around a major city...travel to NYC...not just Times Square...once you are outside of the tourist area's many places look like they could be in a foreign country...no one speaks english and some of the residents look at you like a hungry lion looks at a stray calf...but what the hell...Welcome To America...

Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Aside from a heavy Cuban presence around Miami it seems as American as anywhere else when i drive through the area to Key West..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,962,542 times
Yes.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,219,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
In your opinion, does SoFla feel like the US to you?

Or does it seem like another country?
To me it feels like i am living in another country.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,509,560 times
What do you mean by "American"? As in WASPy? Miami is as American as New York or Chicago or Los Angeles.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Define American and south Florida more clearly as i'm thinking south Florida as anything south of Tampa and American as being the usual strip malls,fast food joints,car dealers,big box stores,people driving around in SUV's and pickup trucks.
What other country do you think it feels like and what is leading you to think half the state is not American?..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Define American and south Florida more clearly as i'm thinking south Florida as anything south of Tampa and American as being the usual strip malls,fast food joints,car dealers,big box stores,people driving around in SUV's and pickup trucks.
What other country do you think it feels like and what is leading you to think half the state is not American?..
Uh, to clarify: I never said it didn't feel "American" to me. So, I dunno why you're even asking me why I don't think it's not American. I simply asked a question, while leaving no personal opinion of my own. Also, in the title of my thread I stated the 3 counties of which I was referring to: Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach)... I dont mean to include SW FL, as no offense, but it is not nearly as populated or econimically important as SE Florida.

Anyway, I often hear that people are like "Oh, Miami is like a 3rd world country" etc etc. I'm trying to figure out why people say that. What about Miami, in particular south florida is not "american" feeling...or why does it feel 3rd world to some? I often hear this.

Is it because of the Spanish? The Caribbean and South American influence? What is it?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
To me it feels like i am living in another country.
OK, I see. Now, can u explain why? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM

380 posts, read 958,321 times
In some places in hialeah it does not. Everyone now and then you encounter people who don't know the concept of right on red... that doesn't happen too often in places like New York (in which case 16 people will be honking at you) I dont even bother to honk at people in that situation because they really just cant take in their surroundings.

I actually like the fact it doesnt feel american. That said every city is made up of its surroundings and people. Some of the people in miami dont seem american at all. Some of the surroundings dont seem american at all. Most of the people on this website will argue it does feel like america because they live and reside in surroundings that look like america, hang around people that seem american.

Now all said and done I could turn everything I just said on it's head so it really depends where your coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida