U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM

6,483 posts, read 13,164,972 times

Advertisements

So its full sun. I will say this I don't water my lawn from Mid May through October. During the winter months I water it only on a need be bases, as I don't want to allow the dollar weed to creep back (they like water). If its crispy looking I turn on the sprinklers. Have you called a sod company near you and asked them a few questions? Xeroscaping is pretty neat, you could do a zen style thing where its mainly rocks and a few plants or boulders. I've seen a few homes with it, they look great and then a year or two goes by and they don't look as great. I think they take more work than we expect them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM

332 posts, read 598,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Mom and Dad had the same problem and wanted to solve it the same way but being a deed restricted community they were not allowed to make the conversion and instead had to spend much money trying to maintain a golf course quality lawn..
They finally moved out of that little nanny state never again to live in a community with an HOA, they now have a virtually maintenance free crushed rock front yard which a lawn care outfit vacuums once a month while they are there to mow the rest of the property.
Xeriscaping is protected under Florida law. HOA's are required to allow it. Your parents could have fought it and won.

Pro-tip: clothes lines and satellite dishes are similarly protected.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM

5,326 posts, read 5,613,694 times
You need to drive around and find some that you like . Take photos and write down the address, what you like and dislike about each yard. You might see the owners in the driveway and you can ask questions.

there are some very nice ones out there but you need to decide

1) what do you like best (types of plants, rocks, crushed shells, spacing, size, etc)
2) what will look best for your house/lot
3) what maintenance is required and does it your expectations. (leaf debris, trimming of plants, add mulch, watering, bug control etc)

Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM

554 posts, read 1,544,840 times
Have you considered Florida Friendly Landscaping. I turned the side of my yard into an enormous butterfly garden using waterwise plants. The yard does require some weeding, but it is so worth it. I spend 0 dollars on lawn fertilizers and pesticides so it is environmentally friendly. Also, Florida HOA cannot prevent you from implementing a Florida Friendly Landscape. Check this link out. Florida Yards & Neighborhoods - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life - Community Association & Property Managers Kit. Here is a good link to get started. Florida Friendly Landscaping, Florida Plants, Florida Gardening, Lawn Care. I live in a HOA and had no problem converting lawn to Florida Friendly Landscaping. Water wise plants don't have to just be succulents. I do use pine bark mulch, but other type of mulches can be used. Eventually, my plants will be large enough to cover the space with no mulching needed.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM

8,198 posts, read 3,363,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The patch of grass I'm referring to receives full sun from around 9am until 7pm. I have a fully functional irrigation system (I checked for coverage area) that I run three times per week with 30 minutes per zone in 15 minute increments. My side and back yard has the same type of sod and is picture perfect thanks to partial shade during the day. Other neighbors with similar conditions share the same type sun conditions plus similar front yards (no shade, southern exposure) with the same St Augustine grass. We have a chemical company that sprays all of the yards in the neighborhood for pests and fertilizes three times a year. Given that data I'm convinced this type of St Augustine grass isn't well-suited for full sun and rather than have mix/match turf with another varietal the xeriscaping does seem like the best alternative. The area is rather small as I have a smaller front area and much larger backyard (we're talking about 20' x 30' for the front), so not a huge piece of land.
May I ask, if you irrigate by day, or by night?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM

20,380 posts, read 16,701,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Xeriscaping is protected under Florida law. HOA's are required to allow it. Your parents could have fought it and won.

Pro-tip: clothes lines and satellite dishes are similarly protected.
!0 years too late..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,715,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
May I ask, if you irrigate by day, or by night?
Should always water very early in the morning no matter what grass you have.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,617,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The patch of grass I'm referring to receives full sun from around 9am until 7pm. I have a fully functional irrigation system (I checked for coverage area) that I run three times per week with 30 minutes per zone in 15 minute increments. My side and back yard has the same type of sod and is picture perfect thanks to partial shade during the day. Other neighbors with similar conditions share the same type sun conditions plus similar front yards (no shade, southern exposure) with the same St Augustine grass. We have a chemical company that sprays all of the yards in the neighborhood for pests and fertilizes three times a year. Given that data I'm convinced this type of St Augustine grass isn't well-suited for full sun and rather than have mix/match turf with another varietal the xeriscaping does seem like the best alternative. The area is rather small as I have a smaller front area and much larger backyard (we're talking about 20' x 30' for the front), so not a huge piece of land.
If it's only 20x30 go for it. Wouldn't be hard to switch around if you don't like it.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 AM

8,198 posts, read 3,363,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Should always water very early in the morning no matter what grass you have.
I was thinking late evening, but I'm in the UK, we probably do things differently over here.

I asked, just to draw the possibility to attention.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,715,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I was thinking late evening, but I'm in the UK, we probably do things differently over here.

I asked, just to draw the possibility to attention.
Studies show grass here will make it more susceptible here to fungus and disease if went during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida