Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 PM

106 posts, read 568,159 times

Advertisements

Will this keep snakes and other animals away from entering into the backyard?
I notice a lot of houses have this in Florida, I know it's good for the mosquitoes but does it work for snakes? please people that have it let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
I notice a lot of houses have this in Florida, I know it's good for the mosquitoes but does it work for snakes? please people that have it let me know.
Probably, but snakes are a good thing. Most people would be surprised how many there are around. I have a cat that is a real hunter and he brings home snakes all the time. Sometimes pretty big ones 3 or 4 feet long but they are harmless. He doesn't seem to hurt them just brings them home to show us and then I let them go. Point is though, other then what the cat shows me, I never see snakes they are good at not being seen. Bats as well, there are zillions in florida but you will never see them.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I agree that the snakes are a good thing. I wish we had some more around here to eat the mice!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
The Lanai is a beautiful thing. I have one that is large enough to build a house inside of it. It covers the entire pool area and encloses the overhead patio.
it is so lovely to sit under it with all of the ceiling fans going and listening to the birds and at night the crickets and other night sounds. There is no bugs, snakes or any other creatures except for the cute little lizzards that find their way in. I highly recommend them.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
My husband and I were at a model home once and we fished a small snake out of the home's pool that was enclosed by a screen . Snakes are beneficial animals, we did not want the little guy to die from the chlorine exposure .

While not foolproof, I think they can help keep lots of critters out though so they're a worthy investment if you like the look.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 AM

106 posts, read 568,159 times
Default Thanks

I mean it will stop snakes from coming into the backyard I have 2 small children, and that is the only reason why I want a screen backyard.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I mean it will stop snakes from coming into the backyard I have 2 small children, and that is the only reason why I want a screen backyard.
No, there is no guarantee that it will. It may deter some, but snakes will go where they need to go for food, shelter, water, etc.

The vast majority of snakes in Florida are completely harmless. I have yet to see a cottonmouth, rattlesnake or coral snake though I know they are "out there". I see Black racers or Garter snakes with regularity though and they are no problem - they can't get away from me fast enough (and sometimes they don't.....my dog gets them first ).

Once your children are old enough to have the understanding, I would educate them on Florida's snakes so they can identify them and know their habits and habitats - it's valuable information if they will be living in Florida - you have to encounter nature at some point or another here.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
The Lanai is a beautiful thing. I have one that is large enough to build a house inside of it. It covers the entire pool area and encloses the overhead patio.
it is so lovely to sit under it with all of the ceiling fans going and listening to the birds and at night the crickets and other night sounds. There is no bugs, snakes or any other creatures except for the cute little lizzards that find their way in. I highly recommend them.

We have a big lanai area also but a few weeks ago I spotted a water snake in our pool and in the last few days very small ones.Hubby went all around and put some sealant around the lanai and hopefully that will work. I Hate snakes

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
No, there is no guarantee that it will. It may deter some, but snakes will go where they need to go for food, shelter, water, etc.

The vast majority of snakes in Florida are completely harmless. I have yet to see a cottonmouth, rattlesnake or coral snake though I know they are "out there". I see Black racers or Garter snakes with regularity though and they are no problem - they can't get away from me fast enough (and sometimes they don't.....my dog gets them first ).

Once your children are old enough to have the understanding, I would educate them on Florida's snakes so they can identify them and know their habits and habitats - it's valuable information if they will be living in Florida - you have to encounter nature at some point or another here.
That's a very good idea, and it's true there are plenty of snakes here. We mostly have the black racers and really like them. We saw a beautiful small emerald-green snake at Selby Gardens - does anyone know what type of snake it might be?

We have had one pygmy rattler - our pest-control person found it under our front steps. I think he just left it there.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
That's a very good idea, and it's true there are plenty of snakes here. We mostly have the black racers and really like them. We saw a beautiful small emerald-green snake at Selby Gardens - does anyone know what type of snake it might be?

We have had one pygmy rattler - our pest-control person found it under our front steps. I think he just left it there.
Emerald green? There is a boa called an Emerald Tree Boa, but it is not native to FL. Plenty of non-natives make it out in the wild here though (like the wild iguanas that were once pets).

A pygmy rattler I would want relocated......is it still under there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida