Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

If you are interested in the Florida -> Carolinas issues, check this article out. Part of it makes me want to vomit. We are truly an insane nation.

Florida Trend - - Florida Trend Magazine - Migration: The Carolina Connection*Florida's Source For Business News

“People move to western North Carolina communities because they think these small towns are so quaint, and then they perch a 5,000-sq.-ft. house on the side of the mountain.”

“You see many of the same people operating under different business names in both markets, and the same speculators speculating in both markets,” Starnes says. In the 1930s, he says, “When the Florida market crashed, the Asheville market followed.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
This is exactly why I've been urging people to stay in Fla, since it's already built out. Don't run to greener pastures and bring problems with you.

Can anyone see my point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
If you are interested in the Florida -> Carolinas issues, check this article out. Part of it makes me want to vomit. We are truly an insane nation.

Florida Trend - - Florida Trend Magazine - Migration: The Carolina Connection*Florida's Source For Business News

“People move to western North Carolina communities because they think these small towns are so quaint, and then they perch a 5,000-sq.-ft. house on the side of the mountain.”

“You see many of the same people operating under different business names in both markets, and the same speculators speculating in both markets,” Starnes says. In the 1930s, he says, “When the Florida market crashed, the Asheville market followed.”

Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
I was trying to buy a condo (at these prices) so that in the next 2 years I could move up to NC. I had the salesman tell me that there were none available for speculative homebuyers. I insisted that I'm not trying to make a buck off of it- I just want to hang on to it until I'm ready to move there. I don't know what's been going on up there but since when would someone turn down the chance of selling a home?? I understand where they are coming from (considering the mess that Florida is in) but I was little upset at first (and really confused) and now I'm starting to think, I can't blame them for that decision. I can always wait- that's not a problem. But I was sideblinded by that response. The funny thing about it- salesperson has done business with my neighbors and some family members a couple of years ago (and as recent as last year) but I guess they've gotten the tip off that some people were not intending on actually moving there. *Just a note, my relatives & neighbors did move.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
This is exactly why I've been urging people to stay in Fla, since it's already built out. Don't run to greener pastures and bring problems with you.

Can anyone see my point?
Without comment on the article, why stay where things declining, (Florida), when you can go if they choose, somewhere where there is growth, being many other places? You advise people to stay in Florida starving with no future and maybe a horrible environment for their children to stay put? Are you telling me as a young person you would rather live where there are no opportunities?

I look at demographics all the time and for me I would not advise someone to live in a place with a future growth and job opportunity prediction of -x %, when you can find places with 30% future growth predictions.

I am going out on a limb a little with my next comments but from reading your posts I know you have benefited from wise decisions other family members made in their lives making your life a little easier. Be glad they didn't decide to live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and raise bees, no offense to bee keepers, you would have a very different life today.

I don't mean to disagree but think about it, even for yourself. Say, a young couple starting out I would say they need to look for a place with far more opportunity then Florida. This is a big country.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM

All I am saying is don't move to a pristine area and start devastating the environment (like those in that article) so you and your family can have "more house". It's criminal!!!

And while I'm at it, the term "More house" should remain as a reference to the historically black college in Atlanta, not as a way to mangle the English language and project a sense of entitlement projected at the expense of the environment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Without comment on the article, why stay where things declining, (Florida), when you can go if they choose, somewhere where there is growth, being many other places? You advise people to stay in Florida starving with no future and maybe a horrible environment for their children to stay put? Are you telling me as a young person you would rather live where there are no opportunities?

I look at demographics all the time and for me I would not advise someone to live in a place with a future growth and job opportunity prediction of -x %, when you can find places with 30% future growth predictions.

I am going out on a limb a little with my next comments but from reading your posts I know you have benefited from wise decisions other family members made in their lives making your life a little easier. Be glad they didn't decide to live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and raise bees, no offense to bee keepers, you would have a very different life today.

I don't mean to disagree but think about it, even for yourself. Say, a young couple starting out I would say they need to look for a place with far more opportunity then Florida. This is a big country.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post

Unfortunately, this is the bare truth. I happen to like many aspects of my location, but being between 18-25, I'm going to need to get out of here eventually to seek employment for reasons you have mentioned. I think the life offered here CAN be pretty good NOW, but it has become so overpriced that I doubt enough interest will be placed into Florida's infrastructure in 10 years since we really are beginning an exodus, and I see exactly why it is happening. It is in my opinion that the reasons many are packing their bags for moving to the "Grass is greener" states is really a bit of a placebo effect and that this movement shares many similarities with the Realtor-induced Florida migration through the 80s and 90s, but because we are getting so many people to move away for lower costs, economic growth here will eventually become negative, and Florida will continue to grow only due to immigration, and when you don't have growth, you have less funds to improve your essential infrastructure like transportation systems, schools, and whatnot. Unfortunately though, negative growth looks like a national trend, so I'm not genuinely sure what people are escaping from...it's going to be a matter of moving from worse to bad...

Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 AM

this is the point i'm trying to make, basically. They will probably end up wrecking wherever they move to. What will the cities in NC be like 20 years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Unfortunately though, negative growth looks like a national trend, so I'm not genuinely sure what people are escaping from...it's going to be a matter of moving from worse to bad...

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
this is the point i'm trying to make, basically. They will probably end up wrecking wherever they move to. What will the cities in NC be like 20 years from now?
Well, one thing Raleigh-Durham has is that giant Research Triangle Park, as well as a huge medical presence. The growth is being based on something,although has anybody noticed the soaring unemployment rates in NC lately? No Florida city has any such economic powerhouse.Then again, neither does any other Southern city (except for Houston and the energy industry).

What disappoints me is that we are building a disposable society both here in Florida and in other states like North Carolina. We can do so much better in a country as economically diverse as the United States.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
All I am saying is don't move to a pristine area and start devastating the environment (like those in that article) so you and your family can have "more house". It's criminal!!!

And while I'm at it, the term "More house" should remain as a reference to the historically black college in Atlanta, not as a way to mangle the English language and project a sense of entitlement projected at the expense of the environment!
The really sad part is builders have a way of getting their hands on money and building, thats what they do. When the money runs out they walk away. South Florida had a zillion of those in the 60's and 70's. They would put up a huge sign with an artists conception and people would begin to buy. They would build a few houses but if it failed they walk away leaving a half finished ghost town. I can show you one now with 6000 homesites and only around 500 homes ever built.

You would drive through and there would be vacant lots, dirts roads, none of the amenities on the big sign out front and a few houses here and there with people living in them that can't give them away. What they are doing up there (NC), has some of the same possibly. They go there make a big mess, and leave with what profits they have made and move on. They can be like locust

Last edited by macguy; 09-30-2007 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: punctuation correction

Old 09-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Default gated communities

I was trying to figure out why they were building gated communities in these mountain towns, per the article. Obviously they aren't afraid of the locals. I just realized, they must know that their developments will start attracting a bad element of "chain migration" coming in from other states--they are in essence protecting themselves from themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida