U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
eha eha started this thread

4 posts, read 5,581 times
Default moving to niceville fl with kids

Hello, it looks like i will be relocating to niceville florida as a mom with two teen boys. i am hoping to find a nice home to buy or rent. is niceville a good area for outdoor recreation? it seems like the weather is wonderful, tho i have been warned that the airplane noise from the base can get pretty loud. any help about the area would be greatly appreciated, as this is a big move and we are starting over. thankyou so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM

165 posts, read 293,216 times
I don't live in Niceville, bought a house in Crestview, but I work there. Lots of houses for sale and rent there. Not sure what your budget is, but you get a lot more house in Crestview, only 15-20 minutes away. Plenty to do in the area. The plane noise isn't that bad, of course I was in the Air Force and my wife still is so we're used to it. Now the bombing range does get loud and can rattle the houses. If you have any more questions I'll try to answer tham. We love it here.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM

4,367 posts, read 7,702,343 times
At least for now, the airplane noise lets up significantly once you get east of about Palm Blvd. (Everyone will probably see a noise increase if the F-35 training wing ever really becomes functional.) I'd definitely rent the first year here- there can be some huge differences from area to area, and renting gives you time to explore and figure out what best fits your priorities. I will say that housing costs whether you rent or buy can be a little more than you'd expect for an area this size. Outdoor recreation is the beach and bay areas as you'd expect, but also about 2/3rds of the huge Eglin Reservation is open for recreational use- hiking, hunting, fishing, kayaking and other boating, etc. Just pay your $10 or so for an annual Eglin rec permit at the Jackson Guard office on Hwy 85.

The sports teams tend to be hypercompetitive down here. High school marching band is also big. If the kids want to work during the summers, there are a good number of jobs for them because summer is peak tourism season in these parts.

We looked in Crestview but ended up in Niceville/Bluewater Bay because we went for closeness to the beach and shopping/fun in Destin instead of the bigger house in Crestview. (Though there's been a lot of commercial development since we were seriously looking in Crestview.)

Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 AM
eha eha started this thread

4 posts, read 5,581 times
thanks for the help! my main interest is being near the best schools, i have an 8th grader and 11th grader, it is a hard time for kids to move. we need a welcoming community, we have been through a lot and are not really able to compete at this point... im thinking that with the base so close, kids at school will be used to new kids and be welcoming...?

also, im not used to the heat, we are from NM and are hoping that we will get used to the heat? it is difficult all year, or just ithe summers? we are very active outdoors, sounds like there is a lot to do if the heat will allow it!

thankyou for your help!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM

4,367 posts, read 7,702,343 times
Niceville generally has the edge schools-wise. here are a lot of high wage-high tech jobs associated with the base, and they end up on the east side of Niceville more often than not, complete with the usual correlation between good school quality and highly-educated parents. And yeah, pretty much anywhere in the county, you get school turnover from base folks, and transferring in or out is pretty common.

As for the heat, your body gets used to it to some degree over time, even if it doesn't quite feel like it. June through early September can be pretty bad, spring and fall and generally wonderful, but January can be a little on the cool side. Winter generally consists of two weeks in late January or early February where it struggles to get above 45F near the coast. (If you're into gardening, note that Crestview and other areas north of Eglin reservation are actually in a different gardening zone than Destin, Niceville, FWB, etc. and will commonly get a couple of hard freezes every winter. My tangerine tree probably wouldn't make it 20 some miles further north.)

Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 975 times
Hi there, I recently moved to Niceville, Florida and started developing a Yelp List that could probably have come in handy to the original poster. Honestly, it could have come in handy to me if someone else had developed it before me. I hope it s helpful to others. I have faced some challenges with finding a good property management company, a good place to buy a mattress, a good mechanic, etc, and I am sure to put my reviews of the superior options around here in my Yelp List. Here it is: [url=http://www.yelp.com/list/a-smooth-move-to-niceville-florida-niceville-valparaiso]A Smooth Move to Niceville, Florida - Niceville[/url]

All the best,
Ashlea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida