Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times

Advertisements

If you think of Orlando as "really humid", you will likely find the same elsewhere. We've lived on both coasts and the middle of Central Florida (Tampa, Kissimmee/Orlando and Melbourne ... and now Destin/Panhandle) ... and I'm here to tell you that all can be quite enjoyable and pleasant ... or humid and stickey ... depending on your sensitivity. On both coasts, we enjoyed the ocean and Gulf breezes ... and now we are on the harbor/Gulf and enjoy it. When it gets really hot, people tend to stay inside with the A/C on, but, that's only common sense.

We love Florida (after 40-years) and have no plans to move further north (back into the cold and snow) --- Actually, Destin is just like Far-South Alabama (temperature/humidity-wise) ... and as close to the North Pole as I ever plan to live again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 16,921 times
Thanks so much for the great info everyone!! You guys are awesome

Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
It didn't properly format... let me find it again. But essentially the first number is in C the 2nd is DEW POINT in F and the last number is RELATIVE HUMIDITY.

Dew point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Explanation why Dew Point is better indicator of how humid it is... USATODAY.com - Weather answers: Dew point vs. relative humidity
Dew point was 73-76 all day yesterday and I felt fine.
It went up even higher Saturday and I was working in the sun for 11 hours straight, no problems.

That is why these type of lists telling people when they are comfortable, whether it be dewpoint, humidity or temp., are useless. Each person enjoys and is comfortable in different weather.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Orlando gets hotter temp wise because it it land locked and in the humidity and Orlando will feel hotter than Tampa. The west coast gets a sea breeze from the gulf, but typically the east coast sea breeze is stronger, so the west coast of Florida is usually a little warmer than the east coast. During the winter Orlando gets colder than places near the coast because its land locked. The further north you go the shorter the summer months will be. Miami can have 10 months of 80+ degree weather where Jacksonville cools down in the winter months, which is a nice change from the heat and humidity.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,360 times
Just to get the facts straight, Orlando is not more humid than the coast. It is slightly hotter or colder, but it is not more humid. The Average Dew Point between Orlando and Tampa is almost identical throughout the year plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees. Looking at 2011 and 2012, Orlando's monthly average dew point was equal or lower most months of the year. The summer months were exactly the same. Check weather underground for historical data. Average relative humidity is lower in Orlando every month out of the year, but as said before dew point is the better indicator of how wet it feels outside.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM

616 posts, read 1,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystrying View Post
Ok, so this is gonna sound dumb, but keep in mind I have never lived in FL.

Does humidity vary depending on what part of FL you live in??? We are looking to relocate to either the Orlando area or Tampa area. We visited Orlando once in September, HOLY COW was it humid!!! Beautiful, but humid. I know we can adapt. Would it be just as humid in Tampa??

Any info would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Dew point was 73-76 all day yesterday and I felt fine.
It went up even higher Saturday and I was working in the sun for 11 hours straight, no problems.

That is why these type of lists telling people when they are comfortable, whether it be dewpoint, humidity or temp., are useless. Each person enjoys and is comfortable in different weather.
You're not "most." You are acclimated to the weather here. The list is not the be all and end all. It is a tool to help understand why one day the temp one day is the same as another, but one day feels hotter than the other.

I do agree with others that there is no difference between Orlando and Tampa (They're only, what 1.5 hours away from each other). It may "seem" a bit cooler on the coast due to the sea breeze - but that's just the wind blowing on the sweat

Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabum View Post
if your not a fan of humidity, then why not look into Panama City real estate or one of the other Emerald Coast city's, such as Destin, Fort Walton, or Pensacola. The humidity isnt as bad, and the wind coming off the gulf helps keep these towns and community's along the gulf a little cooler than even the towns just inland. You might find them refreshing, on top of the worlds most beautiful beaches.
Summer average temps are the same in Clearwater/Tampa as Panama City, humidity in the afternoon is actually lower in Tampa than Panama City in July and August. I only looked at humidity for those 2 months since they are the warmest and would have the most effect on people.

Advertising is also prohibited in posts, you may want to remove the links to your site before a mod removes your posts.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Just to get the facts straight, Orlando is not more humid than the coast. It is slightly hotter or colder, but it is not more humid. The Average Dew Point between Orlando and Tampa is almost identical throughout the year plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees. Looking at 2011 and 2012, Orlando's monthly average dew point was equal or lower most months of the year. The summer months were exactly the same. Check weather underground for historical data. Average relative humidity is lower in Orlando every month out of the year, but as said before dew point is the better indicator of how wet it feels outside.
Actually Tampa isn't on the coast and is every bit as inland as Orlando for climate comparisons. I have a friend in Safety Harbor (in Pinellas County which is actually coastal) and can tell you that there is a distinct difference in comfort level versus here in Central Florida. I attribute it to the sea breeze (where much like sitting in front of a fan) it isn't cooling the air but evaporating perspiration which feels more cooling.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystrying View Post
Ok, so this is gonna sound dumb, but keep in mind I have never lived in FL.

Does humidity vary depending on what part of FL you live in??? We are looking to relocate to either the Orlando area or Tampa area. We visited Orlando once in September, HOLY COW was it humid!!! Beautiful, but humid. I know we can adapt. Would it be just as humid in Tampa??

Any info would be appreciated.
Yes, just as nasty and disgusting.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times
It's Florida, and it's humid everywhere. That's been my experience. What you want to do is live near the coast, as you'll get a breeze. I had a difficult time researching this myself some years ago, It doesn't matter whether it's upper or lower Florida, it's how far you are from the ocean that determines how hot it is. And don't be so sure you'll adjust. You may, or you may not. Our senior retirement community is about 40% full right now because around April all the Canadians and Yankees beat it out of here for the summer. As someone that grew up in the coastal South but has been gone for a long time, I'm having a very tough time getting "used to it", trust me. My way of doing it is to get out at the crack of dawn if I'm heading out to shoot some photos, and just suffer on the way home on my bike. My wife rides the bus. I really, really hate the bus, but come summer time I put the bike on the front and take it too. Right this minute in South Daytona it's 95 degrees, and the heat index is 110 w/ the high humidity. On the other hand, winter is pretty nice! This is the only state I've lived in that I look forward to the winter. It's because, basically, there isn't one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida