Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,871 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate from Michigan to the Lakeland area, and we are looking for input on this city, the good and the bad. We do have children, with that said we would like a family friendly city and safety is obviously a concern, as we do not wish to move our children into an unsafe environment. My wife will have a degree in Medical Office Administration and I have 13 years experience as a machinist including CNC, laser, and water jet experience. We would like to know if either of these careers have a good job outlook in this city. How are the schools in these areas? Also, we will be renting, is it better to rent an apartment or find a house to rent? Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM

26,950 posts, read 43,460,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2moveon! View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate from Michigan to the Lakeland area, and we are looking for input on this city, the good and the bad. We do have children, with that said we would like a family friendly city and safety is obviously a concern, as we do not wish to move our children into an unsafe environment. My wife will have a degree in Medical Office Administration and I have 13 years experience as a machinist including CNC, laser, and water jet experience. We would like to know if either of these careers have a good job outlook in this city. How are the schools in these areas? Also, we will be renting, is it better to rent an apartment or find a house to rent? Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time!!
How did you land on Lakeland? The unemployment rate is fairly high and it's somewhat family-friendly but doesn't offer the best schools.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM

793 posts, read 2,518,292 times
Lakeland is out there, must be the home prices?

Why not Clermont, family friendly and odds are better for job's as you are closer to the Orlando area but I'd still research your fields before you make that move.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 31,151 times
We landed upon Lakeland because I have family there. Does Clermont have good school systems?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 31,151 times
Right now our options are open, we would just like to stay within an hour or so of family. Thank you for your input

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,573,686 times
Lakeland without a a job? Oh my...

Don't.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM

793 posts, read 2,518,292 times
Clermont is a good choice, check out their schools,

Lake County Schools

Clermont Schools - Clermont Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Hope this helps,

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,593,225 times
Lakeland has some good schools, just do your research. I would check out the job situation first.
Winter Haven isn't too far from Lakeland and has some good schools, as well. Same with Lake wales. All fairly close to Lakeland, 20 minutes away. Do your internet research as well as getting feedback from here. Good luck.

Broker Dave, do you cover the Clermont area ?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,871 times
We will not move without having employment first! That would be poor planning and irresponsibility on our part, if we were to move without securing employment first. We know this is a big move, that is why we started researching early, as our target move date is June 2013! We are allowing ourselves ample time to do our research and make sure that our decision is the best for our entire family. We have looked on greatschools.org and some of the schools getting good ratings. We refuse to sacrifice our children's education, thus, another reason we would like to move as the school district we live in gets poor ratings. Are there a lot of family friendly things to do around Winter Haven? What are the pros and cons to that area? Thanks for your input, we greatly appreciate your willingness to help!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,973,322 times
If you're a young couple, I would think there are far better places for work and schools. Read this article. It gives you an idea of the problems Florida is facing,

Twilight in the Sunshine State: Florida's Vision of Boomer-Land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida